Obesity in the Netherlands

Old September 30th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greens

Default Obesity in the Netherlands

I had assumed that a country with many more cyclists would have less
obesity. Since there's a lot more bicycling going on in the Netherlands, I
figured they'd be a fine example of what bicycle culture was capable of in
making the population healthier, but as it turns out, they have an obesity
epidemic over there too.

I think the figures do look a little better than the USA figures. Maybe it
can all be explained away as being due to more Dutch driving cars or
something.

"This paper shows the trends in the prevalence of overweight (body mass
index [BMI] = 25 kg m2) and obesity (BMI = 30 kg m2) in the Netherlands.
Overweight (obesity) prevalence in adult males increased from 37% (4%) in
1981 to 51% (10%) in 2004, and in adult females from 30% (6%) in 1981 to 42%
(12%) in 2004, according to self-reported data. In boys and girls, obesity
prevalence doubled or even tripled from 1980 to 1997, and again from 1997 to
2002–2004 a two- or threefold increase was seen for almost all ages.
According to the most recent data, overweight (obesity) prevalence figures
range, depending on age, from 9.2% to 17.3% (2.5–4.3%) in boys, and from
14.6% to 24.6% (2.3–6.5%) in girls. There is a lack of data on the national
prevalence of overweight and obesity based on measured height and weight and
on prevalences in different subgroups of the population. Regular national
representative health examination surveys that measure height and weight are
needed to assess the prevalence of overweight and obesity and its
distribution over subgroups in the population, and to properly direct and
evaluate prevention activities."

Old September 30th 07, 10:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dorfus Dippintush

Greens wrote:
[...]

And I thought it was Mandatory Helmet Laws that caused obesity :P

Dorfus
Old September 30th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Greens wrote:
[...]

Yes , we are catching up, but the people are overweight instead of
(very) fat.
A few weeks ago I watched a documentary about the Katrina disaster in
New Orleans and the thing that striked me the most was that 90% of the
people I saw there were very fat. I can only hope that the people in the
Netherlands come to their senses before that.

Lou, 73 kg, 1.78 m
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

Old September 30th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Greens wrote:
I had assumed that a country with many more cyclists would have less
obesity. Since there's a lot more bicycling going on in the Netherlands, I
figured they'd be a fine example of what bicycle culture was capable of in
making the population healthier, but as it turns out, they have an obesity
epidemic over there too.

Two points:
-------
First off: here's a fun trick: enter the name of any first-world country
you want into Google and the phrase "obesity epidemic", and you'll get
back a bunch of alarming results. There doesn't seem to be any
respectable nation that's /not/ having an obesity epidemic.
-------
Secondly--the average Netherlands rider may ride frequently, but doesn't
necessarily bicycle all that far.

See here-
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Effecti...oadsWeHave.htm

Scroll down to the green two-column table, over half average less than
2.5 km daily, only about 1.5 miles.

Also this page-
(if you scroll down to "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" dated Dec 4th 2006)
http://ruudvisser.wordpress.com/2006/12/

notes that the average mileage is about 549 miles per year, or about 1.5
miles per day. Even assuming only about one-third of everyone rides
regularly, that's still only 4.5 miles per day. More than nothing but at
a casual pace just not a lot really, in terms of calories burned.

---------

This is also a good explanation as to "how Netherlanders can stand to
bicycle so much" while riding heavy upright cruiser bikes and not
wearing padded cycling shorts. The real trick is that they're not
regularly riding very far--generally under 5 miles per trip.
~

Old September 30th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

Greens wrote:
[...]

This is where Chalo should chime in to point out that BMI charts falter
with people much over 6' tall. Because of the nature of these things,
people like Shaquille O'Neal tend to register as obese (which is simply
wrong).

Note that the Dutch are both tall and growing. They may have put on a
few pounds, but it is probably not as bad as you would think.

Old September 30th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

This is where Chalo should chime in to point out that BMI charts falter
with people much over 6' tall. Because of the nature of these things,
people like Shaquille O'Neal tend to register as obese (which is simply
wrong).

Note that the Dutch are both tall and growing. They may have put on a
few pounds, but it is probably not as bad as you would think.

Sure, But Chalo's weight very quit a bit. Is he growing or shrinking? ;-)
I don't care about BMI numbers, but when I look at people I think I can
tell when they are overweight.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)
Old September 30th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 23:39:22 -0700, M-gineering
wrote:

Lou Holtman wrote:
Greens wrote:
[...]

I still get cultureshock when putting foot on US soil. McD. has a lot of
catching up to do over here
/Marten
(65-1.86)

Dear Marten,

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/fcgi-...comeFrom=simil
or
http://tinyurl.com/2c4k2p

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 1st 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 30, 1:02 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

This is where Chalo should chime in to point out that BMI charts falter
with people much over 6' tall. Because of the nature of these things,
people like Shaquille O'Neal tend to register as obese (which is simply
wrong).

http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/nba-tdf-bmi.png

Note that the Dutch are both tall and growing.

Dutch adult males have the highest average height in the world.

Old October 1st 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
vey

M-gineering wrote:

I still get cultureshock when putting foot on US soil. McD. has a lot of
catching up to do over here
/Marten
(65-1.86)

This is the voice of experience speaking:

If the Netherlands wants to keep the weight of it's citizens down, the
best thing they can do is keep the standard of living up. Little money =
poor diet. If you have little money, $4 spent at McD to fill you up
looks better than $5-6 spent at the grocery store to do the same thing
even if the food is better from the store. Plus McD takes less time.

But if your central bank lets the the average citizen's standard of
living fall, the way it has fallen in the US over the last 40 years,
then you will see weight gains as citizens grab for the potatoes,
noodles and other cheap carbs to fill them up.

Obesity and urban sprawl DaveB Australia 30 January 30th 07 11:16 AM
jimmymac, a sorry case of obesity [email protected] Australia 0 January 10th 06 07:11 PM
Expensive obesity Tamyka Bell Australia 45 October 14th 05 03:52 PM
Obesity Colin Blackburn UK 2 May 26th 04 07:03 PM
More about Americans' obesity, bicycling, etc. Matt O'Toole General 46 September 16th 03 11:17 PM