Boy Seriously Injured after Being hit by a Cyclist...

Old November 12th 15, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Smith[_7_]

Default Boy Seriously Injured after Being hit by a Cyclist...

Spot the deliberate error...

'The boy, believed to be aged eight, was hit by a black Cannondale in a
quiet residential street in Hackney on Wednesday evening....'
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/clapton-crash-boy-8-fighting-for-life-after-being-hit-by-a-car-while-fleeing-fireworks-a3112456.html

--
john smith
'_The Guardian_. Wrong about everything. All the time'
Old November 12th 15, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"John Smith" wrote in message ...

Spot the deliberate error...

'The boy, believed to be aged eight, was hit by a black Cannondale in a
quiet residential street in Hackney on Wednesday evening....'
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/clapton-crash-boy-8-fighting-for-life-after-being-hit-by-a-car-while-fleeing-fireworks-a3112456.html

--
john smith. Wrong about everything. All the time'

Deliberate mistake? Posted in a cycling NG?

Old November 12th 15, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 12/11/2015 13:04, Tarcap wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message ...

Spot the deliberate error...

'The boy, believed to be aged eight, was hit by a black Cannondale in a
quiet residential street in Hackney on Wednesday evening....'
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/clapton-crash-boy-8-fighting-for-life-after-being-hit-by-a-car-while-fleeing-fireworks-a3112456.html

A very odd story.

If the boy ran into the road whilst trying to flee from fireworks
thrown/pointed/whatever in his direction and was hit by a passing car,
it is hard to see why the driver would be arrested.

The other oddity is the date of that photo. I know that the news media
have to use library material, but are there MANY BMC 1100s left in that
sort of condition?

http://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/11/11/22/jessamave.jpg

Old November 12th 15, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Smith[_7_]

"John Smith" wrote in message ...

Spot the deliberate error...

'The boy, believed to be aged eight, was hit by a black Cannondale in a
quiet residential street in Hackney on Wednesday evening....'
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/clapton-crash-boy-8-fighting-for-life-after-being-hit-by-a-car-while-fleeing-fireworks-a3112456.html

A very odd story.

Nothing 'odd' about it - just another example of how the self-entitled
maniacs who drive cars butcher, maim and gas tens of thousands of people
every year on the roads of Britain.

If the boy ran into the road whilst trying to flee from fireworks
thrown/pointed/whatever in his direction and was hit by a passing car, it
is hard to see why the driver would be arrested.

Because one is supposed to be able to stop one's vehicle safely when
presented with an emergency.

'Residential streets. You should drive slowly and carefully on streets
where there are likely to be pedestrians, cyclists and parked cars. In
some areas a 20 mph (32 km/h) maximum speed limit may be in force. Look
out for

vehicles emerging from junctions or driveways
vehicles moving off
car doors opening
pedestrians
children running out from between parked cars
cyclists and motorcyclists'
(Highway Code)

And yes, I know that the Highway Code is 'not law', but ..

'A failure on the part of a person to observe a provision of The
Highway Code shall not of itself render that person liable to criminal
proceedings of any kind but any such failure may in any proceedings
(whether civil or criminal, and including proceedings for an offence
under the Traffic Acts, the [1981 c. 14.] Public Passenger Vehicles Act
1981 or sections 18 to 23 of the [1985 c. 67.] Transport Act 1985) be
relied upon by any party to the proceedings as tending to establish or
negative any liability which is in question in those proceeding...'
(s. 38(7) Road Traffic Act 1988)

I also know that as a psychopath, the notion of taking responsibility for
your actions is entirely alien, but if he was arrested, perhaps the police
examined his tyre markings on the road and decided that he had been going
faster than the statutory limit. Perhaps a cyclist saw the psychopath
texting on his phone just before he hit the child.

The other oddity is the date of that photo. I know that the news media
have to use library material, but are there MANY BMC 1100s left in that
sort of condition?

http://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/11/11/22/jessamave.jpg

Right. Well, the presence of a car from the 1960s is conclusive, then:
it's all a stich-up, no doubt orchestrated by the worldwide cyclist
conspiracy to entrap an innocent 'car driver'. I daresay that the 'boy'
is in fact a cunningly designed and utterly lifelike dummy, built in the
year 2500 and sent back through time to entrap those poor, innocent drivers
who ordinarily do everything in their power to avoid hurting anyone.

Old November 12th 15, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

"John Smith" wrote in message ...

Spot the deliberate error...

'The boy, believed to be aged eight, was hit by a black Cannondale in a
quiet residential street in Hackney on Wednesday evening....'
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/clapton-crash-boy-8-fighting-for-life-after-being-hit-by-a-car-while-fleeing-fireworks-a3112456.html

A very odd story.

Nothing 'odd' about it - just another example of how the self-entitled
maniacs who drive cars butcher, maim and gas tens of thousands of people
every year on the roads of Britain.

You just don't understand how odd it is and so suppose it not to be odd.

HTH.

If the boy ran into the road whilst trying to flee from fireworks
thrown/pointed/whatever in his direction and was hit by a passing car, it
is hard to see why the driver would be arrested.

Because one is supposed to be able to stop one's vehicle safely when
presented with an emergency.

Within reason.

Is that a concept with which you are at all familiar?

'Residential streets. You should drive slowly and carefully on streets
where there are likely to be pedestrians, cyclists and parked cars. In
some areas a 20 mph (32 km/h) maximum speed limit may [or may not - ed.]
be in force. Look out for

vehicles emerging from junctions or driveways
vehicles moving off
car doors opening
pedestrians
children running out from between parked cars
cyclists and motorcyclists'
(Highway Code)

And yes, I know that the Highway Code is 'not law', but ..

....it is a good idea to follow it.

Yes, I agree.

What do the bits for pedestrians 9and for that matter, parents) say?

'A failure on the part of a person to observe a provision of The
Highway Code shall not of itself render that person liable to criminal
proceedings of any kind but any such failure may in any proceedings
(whether civil or criminal, and including proceedings for an offence
under the Traffic Acts, the [1981 c. 14.] Public Passenger Vehicles Act
1981 or sections 18 to 23 of the [1985 c. 67.] Transport Act 1985) be
relied upon by any party to the proceedings as tending to establish or
negative any liability which is in question in those proceeding...'
(s. 38(7) Road Traffic Act 1988)

I also know that as a psychopath,

Don't be so hard on yourself.

You're only mildly deranged compared with some - a few - on usenet. Only
a few, mind.

the notion of taking responsibility for
your actions is entirely alien, but if he was arrested, perhaps the police
examined his tyre markings on the road and decided that he had been going
faster than the statutory limit. Perhaps a cyclist saw the psychopath
texting on his phone just before he hit the child.

Perhaps.

The story, though, is not likely to have been manufactured by a
sub-editor back at the Standard. There'll also have been a witness to
the preceding incident with the fireworks.

The other oddity is the date of that photo. I know that the news media
have to use library material, but are there MANY BMC 1100s left in that
sort of condition?

http://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/11/11/22/jessamave.jpg

Right. Well, the presence of a car from the 1960s is conclusive, then:

Of what?

it's all a stich-up, no doubt orchestrated by the worldwide cyclist
conspiracy to entrap an innocent 'car driver'. I daresay that the 'boy'
is in fact a cunningly designed and utterly lifelike dummy, built in the
year 2500 and sent back through time to entrap those poor, innocent drivers
who ordinarily do everything in their power to avoid hurting anyone.

There you go again. And it's still quite early. Take it easy; they'll be
open till at least 23:00.
Old November 12th 15, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 7:05:21 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:

The other oddity is the date of that photo. I know that the news media
have to use library material, but are there MANY BMC 1100s left in that
sort of condition?

There's a Trojan 200 parked on the road around the corner from me:
https://goo.gl/maps/JB79K4mL5dx
Old November 12th 15, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 12/11/2015 19:52, Tom Crispin wrote:

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 7:05:21 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:

The other oddity is the date of that photo. I know that the news media
have to use library material, but are there MANY BMC 1100s left in that
sort of condition?

There's a Trojan 200 parked on the road around the corner from me:
https://goo.gl/maps/JB79K4mL5dx

You really do NOT see many of those any more.

And a Bedford CA van as well? On most of those, the door-runners had
rusted through by about 1970.

Let's face it, you don't even see many Mk III Cortinas these days.

[Note for USA readers: "Trojan" was a 1950s marque of German
"bubble-car". That's all it means.]
Old November 12th 15, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

"John Smith" wrote in message ...

[...]

Have you written to Cleveland Police, Middlesbrough and Stockton
councils & Highways England yet?
Old November 12th 15, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

"John Smith" wrote in message ...

Spot the deliberate error...

'The boy, believed to be aged eight, was hit by a black Cannondale in a
quiet residential street in Hackney on Wednesday evening....'
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/clapton-crash-boy-8-fighting-for-life-after-being-hit-by-a-car-while-fleeing-fireworks-a3112456.html

A very odd story.

If the boy ran into the road whilst trying to flee from fireworks
thrown/pointed/whatever in his direction and was hit by a passing car,
it is hard to see why the driver would be arrested.

The other oddity is the date of that photo. I know that the news media
have to use library material, but are there MANY BMC 1100s left in that
sort of condition?

http://static.standard.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/11/11/22/jessamave.jpg

and did you spot the illegal number plate on the 1100?
Old November 12th 15, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 12/11/2015 19:57, JNugent wrote:
On 12/11/2015 19:52, Tom Crispin wrote:

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 7:05:21 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:

The other oddity is the date of that photo. I know that the news media
have to use library material, but are there MANY BMC 1100s left in that
sort of condition?

There's a Trojan 200 parked on the road around the corner from me:
https://goo.gl/maps/JB79K4mL5dx

You really do NOT see many of those any more.

And a Bedford CA van as well? On most of those, the door-runners had
rusted through by about 1970.

Let's face it, you don't even see many Mk III Cortinas these days.

I have still got my one.