Near Miss of the Day 410: Driver overtakes cyclist into path ofapproaching car

Old May 17th 20, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Near Miss of the Day 410: Driver overtakes cyclist into path ofapproaching car

QUOTE:
Today’s video in our Near Miss of the Day series shows a type of manoeuvre that unfortunately features all too often here – a driver so impatient to overtake that they not only put a cyclist in danger by passing too closely, but also the occupants of an oncoming vehicle, with an approaching motorist here forced to swerve to avoid a collision.

It was filmed in Poole, Dorset, and Dave, the road.cc reader who sent the clip in, said: “Don’t do this, please.

“Hang back, go if there’s room and nothing is coming the other way.

“If you can't pass with space, don’t put the people coming the other way at risk and force them over, wait until we get to a wider part of the road.”

Rule 163 of the Highway Code tells drivers to “Give vulnerable road users at least as much space as you would a car,” while Rule 167 says “DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users,” with one of the examples given being, “when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down.”

Over the years road.cc has reported on literally hundreds of close passes and near misses involving badly driven vehicles from every corner of the country – so many, in fact, that we’ve decided to turn the phenomenon into a regular feature on the site. One day hopefully we will run out of close passes and near misses to report on, but until that happy day arrives, Near Miss of the Day will keep rolling on.

If you’ve caught on camera a close encounter of the uncomfortable kind with another road user that you’d like to share with the wider cycling community please send it to us at or send us a message via the road.cc Facebook page (link is external).

If the video is on YouTube, please send us a link, if not we can add any footage you supply to our YouTube channel as an unlisted video (so it won't show up on searches).

Please also let us know whether you contacted the police and if so what their reaction was, as well as the reaction of the vehicle operator if it was a bus, lorry or van with company markings etc.

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...ath-car-273571