Madness: Driver almost hits oncoming vehicle while overtaking cyclist

Old May 13th 20, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Madness: Driver almost hits oncoming vehicle while overtaking cyclist

A copy of the Highway Code has been sent to the motorist
QUOTE:
This photograph shows the moment a car almost crashed into an oncoming vehicle while overtaking a cyclist.

Police issued the dramatic picture today (May 12) to warn other motorists against overtaking cyclists on double white lines, especially when they have no view of traffic ahead. The driver was also criticised for not leaving the required 1.5 metres between a bike and car.

A spokesperson for Avon and Somerset Police road safety team posted on Twitter : "Don't be this guy! Luckily everyone OK.

"No view: No overtake. "Give cyclists room: At least 1.5m

"Don't overtake on double whites unless bike 10mph or less!

"Motorist will be receiving a reminder of the Highway Code in the post."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/l...coming-4127743
Old May 13th 20, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 17:57 13 May 2020, Simon Mason said:

A copy of the Highway Code has been sent to the motorist QUOTE: This
photograph shows the moment a car almost crashed into an oncoming
vehicle while overtaking a cyclist.

Police issued the dramatic picture today (May 12) to warn other
motorists against overtaking cyclists on double white lines, especially
when they have no view of traffic ahead. The driver was also criticised
for not leaving the required 1.5 metres between a bike and car.

A spokesperson for Avon and Somerset Police road safety team posted on
Twitter : "Don't be this guy! Luckily everyone OK.

"No view: No overtake. "Give cyclists room: At least 1.5m

"Don't overtake on double whites unless bike 10mph or less!

"Motorist will be receiving a reminder of the Highway Code in the post."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/l...r-almost-hits-
oncoming-4127743

One respondent says:

"When I pass cyclists i make sure i pass as close as i can to the
cyclist. Even in my lorry. Horrible cretins."
Old May 13th 20, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 7:43:08 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
[...]

Another one says:

"Why are the police only issuing a reminder letter when, with all the evidence they need, a Notice of Intended Prosecution to the driver would the correct course of action?"
Old May 13th 20, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Pamela wrote:

[...]

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that respondent isn't the same guy
who refused to make room for that 6 year old to pass, then after he'd
brought her down he went and kicked her bike. Poor kid, what with
parents like she's got and all...

ps. And this is totally OT, but wasn't it so sad about Nigel (Monty
Dom's dog) dying over the weekend... he'd have been 12 years old next
week. It seems to be nothing but bad news at the moment.

Old May 13th 20, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/l...adness-driver-
almost-hits-oncoming-4127743

One respondent says:

"When I pass cyclists i make sure i pass as close as i can to the
cyclist. Even in my lorry. Horrible cretins."

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that respondent isn't the same guy who
refused to make room for that 6 year old to pass, then after he'd
brought her down he went and kicked her bike. Poor kid, what with
parents like she's got and all...

What's the realistic chance of that?

ps. And this is totally OT, but wasn't it so sad about Nigel (Monty
Dom's dog) dying over the weekend... he'd have been 12 years old next
week. It seems to be nothing but bad news at the moment.

I feel sorry for the lovely dog being walked by the couple when the little
girl stoved into them.
Old May 13th 20, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Pamela wrote:

[...]

Infinitesimal, of course. Who's to say the two don't have a similar
mentality, though?

ps. And this is totally OT, but wasn't it so sad about Nigel (Monty
Dom's dog) dying over the weekend... he'd have been 12 years old next
week. It seems to be nothing but bad news at the moment.

I feel sorry for the lovely dog being walked by the couple when the little
girl stoved into them.

Really? If only the grown ups involved had acted their age instead of
acting like 6 year olds themselves, they would never have developed
this trivial non incident into a ridiculous melodrama.

Old May 13th 20, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 8:48:23 PM UTC+1, Pamela wrote:

I feel sorry for the lovely dog being walked by the couple when the little
girl stoved into them.

You mean the potty mouthed thug that told a 6 year old girl that "he could not give a f***" after he had kicked her Barbie bike? Why feel sorry for that thicko uncouth chav?
Old May 14th 20, 01:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 13/05/2020 17:57, Simon Mason wrote:
A copy of the Highway Code has been sent to the motorist
QUOTE:
This photograph shows the moment a car almost crashed into an oncoming vehicle while overtaking a cyclist.

Police issued the dramatic picture today (May 12) to warn other motorists against overtaking cyclists on double white lines, especially when they have no view of traffic ahead. The driver was also criticised for not leaving the required 1.5 metres between a bike and car.

A spokesperson for Avon and Somerset Police road safety team posted on Twitter : "Don't be this guy! Luckily everyone OK.

"No view: No overtake. "Give cyclists room: At least 1.5m

"Don't overtake on double whites unless bike 10mph or less!

"Motorist will be receiving a reminder of the Highway Code in the post."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/l...coming-4127743

Is there any evidence (let alone proof) that the cyclist was doing as
much as 10mph?

Other than (maybe) his own unsupported and self-asserted opinion, I mean.

Old May 14th 20, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Pamela wrote:

[...]

It became an "incident" when the parents of the girl (for reasons of
their own) failed to control her and allowed - even encouraged - her to
break the rules on social distancing.