So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

Old May 30th 20, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

On Sat, 30 May 2020 09:11:39 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 30/05/2020 00.00, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 29 May 2020 12:49:36 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52832791
Uber is destroying thousands of electric bikes and scooters, after
selling its Jump business to Lime.

Videos of its red bikes being crushed at a US recycling centre were
shared on social media, angering cycling advocates.

Uber said it had decided to destroy thousands of its older-model vehicles
due to maintenance, liability and safety concerns.

In the UK, Uber continues to operate Jump and has not scrapped any bikes.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/0...oys-thousands-
of-bikes-and-scooters

An anonymous reader quotes a report from the BBC:
Uber is destroying thousands of electric bikes and scooters, after
selling its Jump business to Lime. Videos of its red bikes being crushed
at a recycling centre were shared on social media, angering cycling
advocates. Uber said it had decided to destroy thousands of its older-
model vehicles due to maintenance, liability and safety concerns.

But, "so what"? Don't the bikes belong to Uber? Can't one do what one
wishes with one's own property?

That's why I irritate a lot of greenies by not worrying about food
wastage. I've been known to buy a meal at the canteen and throw it away
just because I can. Drives them *insane* :-)

Why? After all whether you eat the meal or not eat the meal you are
still supporting the farmers of America.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 31st 20, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 30 May 2020 07:30:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/29/2020 11:43 PM, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2020 10:41:31 +0700, John B. wrote:

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/0...uber-destroys-

thousands-
of-bikes-and-scooters

An anonymous reader quotes a report from the BBC:
Uber is destroying thousands of electric bikes and scooters, after
selling its Jump business to Lime. Videos of its red bikes being
crushed at a recycling centre were shared on social media, angering
cycling advocates. Uber said it had decided to destroy thousands of
its older- model vehicles due to maintenance, liability and safety
concerns.

But, "so what"? Don't the bikes belong to Uber? Can't one do what
one wishes with one's own property?

It is a social good question/morality.
Do you throw every thing into municipal rubbish dumps, or do you
distribute it to charities that might obtain some use of it?

I would have to say that it is my property than I have the right to
dispose of it in any manner I wish.

Typical first world arrogance. And wrong, unless you live in s ****
hole of a country.
Most modern countries have laws about safe disposal of property, so
after that, you are free to be an asshole/asrsehole if you wish.
Paying it forward could be a wise investment.

I'm with Mr Slocumb. You missed the principle. Without property rights
there is no liberty.

I didn't miss the principle. As I said, you are free to be an arsehole if
you wish.
Old May 31st 20, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 30 May 2020 12:32:50 +0700, John B. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Safe Disposal? The original reference was to "bikes being crushed at a
US recycling centre". Are you saying that a "recycling center" isn't a
safe disposal?

There is an eccellent book called Junkyard Planet that will educate on
global recycling proceedures. It is a little bit date now that China and
others have started to insist on cleaner "rubbish/recycleing" being sent
to them.

So, unless the bikes are disassembled, then components crushed, then I'd
say it isn't safe.

My 2c is that these bikes are a good opportunity to provide a resource
for charity and Uber/other could get brownie points for allowing a local
charity to take the good ones off their hands for repurposing.
Old May 31st 20, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

You mean being an arsehole for doing as I want to with my own
property?
What an amazing attitude.

Oh Well. You will, please, get rid of your bicycle as I decree that
you no longer require it. I have decided that you just aren't "the
bicycle" type at all. Feel free to disassemble it, destroy it donate
it to the needy, whatever, but get rid of it. Immediately!
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 31st 20, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52832791 Uber is destroying
thousands of electric bikes and scooters, after selling its Jump
business to Lime.

Videos of its red bikes being crushed at a US recycling centre
were shared on social media, angering cycling advocates.

Uber said it had decided to destroy thousands of its older-model
vehicles due to maintenance, liability and safety concerns.

In the UK, Uber continues to operate Jump and has not scrapped
any bikes.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/0...uber-destroys-
thousands-
of-bikes-and-scooters

An anonymous reader quotes a report from the BBC:
Uber is destroying thousands of electric bikes and scooters,
after selling its Jump business to Lime. Videos of its red bikes
being crushed at a recycling centre were shared on social media,
[...]

No, from your attitude. Of course, given your attitude toyour right,
you'll be as stupid as tommy in understnding the point.

Oh Well. You will, please, get rid of your bicycle as I decree that you
no longer require it. I have decided that you just aren't "the bicycle"
type at all. Feel free to disassemble it, destroy it donate it to the
needy, whatever, but get rid of it. Immediately!

As I said, it is your attitude that is the problem and your inability is
clearly demonstrated above.

Old May 31st 20, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Right, my attitude.That strange belief that what is mine is mine to do
with as I wish.

While you, being the superior individual that you so obviously are,
have the God given right to tell others what they should do with their
property.

Your arrogance is positively amazing.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 31st 20, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I dunno, they are usually the sanctimonious eco treehugger 4 kids type.
On a related note, a week or so later (was this coincidence?) the
canteen did *drastically* reduce food wastage by...wait for it...cutting
down on the portion size! Who would have guessed?

Old May 31st 20, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

John, you are usually free to do what you want with your property,
provided you don't harm others.

But if you spent a million to buy a Stradivarius violin, then filmed
yourself stomping it to bits, people would rightly think there was
something wrong with you.

Heck, if you took several of your own $100 bills and publicly set them
on fire, people would think the same.

Behaviors somewhat like that are used by some celebrities and some
wannabe celebrities. It's legal, but it's dumb. I'm surprised you'd ever
advocate it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 31st 20, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Burning money, however, is a federal offense. Nanny government is interfering with your God given property rights! https://www.thoughtco.com/is-burning...llegal-3367953

BTW, recycling all the eScooters is better than the local option: https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019...tte-river.html

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 31st 20, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52832791
Uber is destroying thousands of electric bikes
and scooters, after selling its Jump business
to Lime.

Videos of its red bikes being crushed at a US
recycling centre were shared on social media,
angering cycling advocates.

Uber said it had decided to destroy thousands
of its older-model vehicles due to maintenance,
liability and safety concerns.

In the UK, Uber continues to operate Jump and
has not scrapped any bikes.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/0...uber-destroys-

thousands-
of-bikes-and-scooters

An anonymous reader quotes a report from the
BBC: Uber is destroying thousands of electric
[...]

I'm stepping out here, but...do you actually *own* the money? I thought
it was always the property of the issuing authority.