Eventually...

Old October 16th 03, 04:10 PM
David Nutter

Default Eventually...

I posted a while ago about the removal of the bicycle parking outside the
town centre Safeway in Durham. This afternoon I got a reply, long after I'd
given up expecting one:

Dear Mr. Nutter,

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your enquiry.

Both cycle racks near to the Millburngate Centre are to be re-installed
following the environmental improvement works in North Road. Our Northern
Area Office tell me that they are waiting for some benches to be installed
first, as these are heavy and will require some mechanical equipment to
move them into place. The cycle racks may get in the way of this, and will
therefore be put in afterwards.

I have noticed several bikes tied to railings recently, and agree that the
parking facilities need to be put back into place as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Ben Dellow

Better late than never I suppose

Regards,

-david, happy that he'll no longer have to walk any distance with panniers
full of orange juice

ObBikeRelated: Bit brisk this morning, wot? My fingertips were an interesting
shade of blue when I got to work.
Old October 17th 03, 01:33 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:10:34 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter
wrote:

I posted a while ago about the removal of the bicycle parking outside the
town centre Safeway in Durham. This afternoon I got a reply, long after
I'd
given up expecting one:

I sent a post at the same time as you and got an immediate reply, I think
I mentioned it here though I didn't quote it. My reply was pretty much the
same as yours but without mention of the benches. What I still don't get
is why they are doing things in this order. They have finished all the
paving to a reasonably high standard. Next they will rip up some of the
paving to put in the benches and racks and then relay the paving.

Colin
Old October 17th 03, 03:52 PM
David Nutter

wrote:

I posted a while ago about the removal of the bicycle parking outside the
town centre Safeway in Durham. This afternoon I got a reply, long after
I'd
given up expecting one:

I sent a post at the same time as you and got an immediate reply, I think
I mentioned it here though I didn't quote it.

Interesting, did you send it by e-mail or a more "respectable"
communications medium?

My reply was pretty much the
same as yours but without mention of the benches. What I still don't get
is why they are doing things in this order. They have finished all the
paving to a reasonably high standard. Next they will rip up some of the
paving to put in the benches and racks and then relay the paving.

Yes, I did wonder and console myself with the thought that things the
council do are not meant to be understood by mortals. Viz the mysterious
cones on the bit of the A691 that goes up from the Passport Office to County
Hall. They seem to stop where the actual work (at the top of North Road)
begins. Very strange...

Regards,

-david
Old October 20th 03, 09:01 AM
Colin Blackburn

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:52:59 +0000 (UTC), David Nutter
wrote:

Colin Blackburn said:

I sent a post at the same time as you and got an immediate reply, I
think
I mentioned it here though I didn't quote it.

Interesting, did you send it by e-mail or a more "respectable"
communications medium?

email.

My reply was pretty much the
same as yours but without mention of the benches. What I still don't get
is why they are doing things in this order. They have finished all the
paving to a reasonably high standard. Next they will rip up some of the
paving to put in the benches and racks and then relay the paving.

Yes, I did wonder and console myself with the thought that things the
council do are not meant to be understood by mortals. Viz the mysterious
cones on the bit of the A691 that goes up from the Passport Office to
County
Hall. They seem to stop where the actual work (at the top of North Road)
begins. Very strange...

Yes, I've not worked out the coneage near that roundabout at all. Two and
sometimes three of the roads will have apparently pointless (though still
pointy) cones.

The biggest mystery of all is the new cycle bridge. It seems to me that
the developers of the new houses have put in a pedestrian footbridge for
the residents to get over the A690 but called it a cycle bridge, it
certainly has steps as well as ramps. It seem to serve no pupose for
cycles as far as I can tell at the present.

Colin