Noise help

Old January 24th 04, 01:27 AM
Richard Jones

Default Noise help

I just had my Mountain Bike Serviced, and now when I climb a hill out of my
saddle, with a bit of strain, there is a loud squeaking sound coming from
the rear.
What could this be, could it be the brakes rubbing on the rim ?

Any suggestions much appreciatted.
I will probably bring it back tommorow, but I thought I would ask the
experts first.

Thanks again,
Richard

Old January 24th 04, 10:46 PM
hippy

"Richard Jones" wrote in message
I just had my Mountain Bike Serviced, and now when I climb a hill out of

my
saddle, with a bit of strain, there is a loud squeaking sound coming from
the rear.
What could this be, could it be the brakes rubbing on the rim ?

You could back the brakes off on the rear and see if the noise
still happens. Brake pads don't usually make noise when rubbing
on rims though, maybe it's the pedals, bottom bracket or a crank
or the seat or the rear wheel's hub or freewheel.
What was "fixed" during the service?
Try riding with your head closer to the bike and attempt to pinpoint
the location. Also try things like pedalling, not pedalling, sitting and
standing, etc. This will give a better idea of what could be causing
the noise, ie. if there's no noise when coasting, it probably wont
be anything driveline related.

I will probably bring it back tommorow, but I thought I would ask the
experts first.

Oh, you wanted experts.. sorry.. ;-)

hippy

Old January 26th 04, 08:31 AM
Andrew Swan

Richard Jones wrote:
I just had my Mountain Bike Serviced, and now when I climb a hill out of my
saddle, with a bit of strain, there is a loud squeaking sound coming from
the rear.
What could this be, could it be the brakes rubbing on the rim ?

Any suggestions much appreciatted.
I will probably bring it back tommorow, but I thought I would ask the
experts first.

Thanks again,
Richard

For general (non-Aussie-specific) technical bike questions, you'll find
more "experts" on rec.bicycles.tech ...

Hope this helps,

&roo

Old January 26th 04, 11:00 PM
Laurence Dodd

Turn the bike upside down,
and turn the cranks,
and look to see if the brake pads
are touching the rim or the tyre at any point of the rotation.

Check that the front and rear derailleurs are inline with each respective
cog in each gear (that the chain is running smoothly).

strange noise Paul Nevai Techniques 4 June 10th 04 02:31 PM
Creaking noise from shoe/pedal B. Schneider Techniques 5 September 13th 03 03:54 AM
Help! Strange clunking noise... Matthew Myatt UK 4 September 1st 03 01:32 PM