Crank square taper...?

Old September 19th 04, 10:59 PM
Kenneth

Default Crank square taper...?

Howdy,

I know (barely) that the familiar square taper for mounting cranks on
BBs has been supplanted by something else.

Might you point me to a link that would show me the "something else?"

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Old September 20th 04, 03:43 AM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:59:05 -0400, Kenneth
wrote:

Howdy,

I know (barely) that the familiar square taper for mounting cranks on
BBs has been supplanted by something else.

Might you point me to a link that would show me the "something else?"

Not "supplanted", at least not yet; the square taper remains the
design most often used for low-end, midrange and even some high-end
bikes. There are some competing types, though. The ISIS splined
design is popular with some users and manufacturers; it looks like
this:

http://tinyurl.com/4pn5j

The similar Shimano Octalink design has been reported to have problems
with cranks loosening in service, and seems to be falling out of favor
to some extent, though it's still widely available:

http://tinyurl.com/5qegf
http://tinyurl.com/6bm9s

Shimano has come out with a radically different (and very proprietary)
design for their high-end Dura Ace line. It features a right crank
and bottom bracket shaft that is integrated together into one unit,
making installation somewhat different.

Eventually, there probably will be a design that supplants the
venerable square taper, but despite its shortcomings, for the moment
it is still the type used on the majority of bikes sold.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old September 20th 04, 12:24 PM
Kenneth

wrote:

[...]

I sincerely appreciate your help...!

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Old September 20th 04, 01:48 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Kenneth- I know (barely) that the familiar square taper for mounting cranks
on
BBs has been supplanted by something else.

Might you point me to a link that would show me the "something else?"
BRBR

There are different designs, specifically spline type BBs from
shimano(Octalink) and others(ISIS) but square taper hasn't been 'supplanted'.
Square taper is alive and well on many cranks from many manufacturers.

There is no advantage of splined over a properly installed square taper.
Some disadvantages, most importantly teeny bearings that don't last very
long(ISIS).

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 20th 04, 01:49 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

rault- Shimano has come out with a radically different (and very proprietary)
design for their high-end Dura Ace line. It features a right crank
and bottom bracket shaft that is integrated together into one unit,
making installation somewhat different. BRBR

Actually not propriatary at all. FSA and others have designed this 'ala a
headset' type of external bearings.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 20th 04, 06:10 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Werehatrack wrote:

Not "supplanted", at least not yet; the square taper remains the
design most often used for low-end, midrange and even some high-end
bikes.

pedant But it's an octagonal taper really; have a close look. A real
square taper would crack the crank ;-)
Old September 20th 04, 08:35 PM
Kenneth

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:10:43 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:

Not "supplanted", at least not yet; the square taper remains the
design most often used for low-end, midrange and even some high-end
bikes.

pedant But it's an octagonal taper really; have a close look. A real
square taper would crack the crank ;-)

Howdy,

Are the other (very small) faces mating surfaces?

If not, then it would certainly seem appropriate to call it a square
taper...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Old September 20th 04, 10:12 PM
Werehatrack

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:35:25 -0400, Alex Rodriguez
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Shimano has come out with a radically different (and very proprietary)
design for their high-end Dura Ace line. It features a right crank
and bottom bracket shaft that is integrated together into one unit,
making installation somewhat different.

pinch bolt onto a spline end is proprietary? it's been done before.
I think bullseye was (is?), doing that for some time.

Their precise choice of a spline size and shaping is certain to have
been made the subject of a design patent to prevent others from
supplying a compatible product. Not that it matters, since the DA
crank design is probably going to remain pricey enough to guarantee
that the square taper will have a long life ahead of it unless
something better comes along that's not restricted. The key is that
the square taper works *well enough* for the majority of riders that
there's not sufficient interest in coming up with an inexpensive
improved replacement.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Crank square taper hole too large - options? Phil Holman Techniques 12 July 18th 03 02:10 AM