What say the tire experts ?

Old October 8th 04, 10:08 AM
Rik O'Shea

Default What say the tire experts ?

An inovation or a gimmick ? I thought tire compound and not thread was
the determining factor in a tires performance/handling ...

"Vittoria's innovative new reversible tires have
different treads on either side"

http://tinyurl.com/5vy7g
Old October 8th 04, 05:18 PM
Bill Sornson

Rik O'Shea wrote:
An inovation or a gimmick ? I thought tire compound and not thread was
the determining factor in a tires performance/handling ...

"Vittoria's innovative new reversible tires have
different treads on either side"

http://tinyurl.com/5vy7g

Hmmm. Interesting idea, but would probably add weight, right? Plus, that
slightly grooved tread could rough up a tube, perhaps?

Bill "I like Vittoria tires, but..." S.

Old October 8th 04, 07:26 PM
Weisse Luft

Tread on road tires is useless. Ergo, different tread would only b
useful for off road use. But these are not cyclocross diameters so it
just hype.

Oh yes, and additional weight

--
Weisse Luft

Old October 8th 04, 07:48 PM

On 8 Oct 2004 02:08:18 -0700, (Rik
O'Shea) wrote:

An inovation or a gimmick ? I thought tire compound and not thread was
the determining factor in a tires performance/handling ...

"Vittoria's innovative new reversible tires have
different treads on either side"

http://tinyurl.com/5vy7g

Dear Rik,

Since tread patterns work only on surfaces soft enough for
the rubber to dent . . .

Perhaps the treaded side is meant to be on the inside, where
it can provide crucial traction against the rubber inner
tube?

Carl Fogel

Old October 10th 04, 05:14 AM

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 03:01:26 GMT, SuperSlinky
wrote:

said...

Dear Rik,

Since tread patterns work only on surfaces soft enough for
the rubber to dent . . .

Perhaps the treaded side is meant to be on the inside, where
it can provide crucial traction against the rubber inner
tube?

Carl Fogel

Then what's up with all the tread on GP3000's?

Dear SS,

As far as I know, tread patterns on bicycle tires intended
for pavement use is a sign of technical ignorance, the
triumph of marketing or wishful thinking over
well-demonstrated physics.

The tread doesn't help with hydro-planing, since
high-pressure bicycle tires don't hydro-plane even on the
steepest descents.

The tread doesn't improve traction on pavement--the same
amount of rubber surface must press on the ground to support
the weight of the bicycle and rider.

The tread increases the rolling resistance because the
rubber is freed to squirm and bulge sideways into the voids
between the tread blocks.

Or so I hear. Possibly someone will make a convincing
argument for tread patterns on road tires, but I doubt it.

Sometime around Guy Fawkes Day, I'll reach a thousand miles
on the Fury RoadMaster and replace its brutal treaded tires
with the smoothest, cheapest tires that WalMart offers. I
suspect that my daily times will improve.

Carl Fogel