Deore XT 2004 rear brake disc splines

Old November 19th 03, 01:32 AM
Doug Goncz

Default Deore XT 2004 rear brake disc splines

Hello.

Are the splines that hold on the disc brake on the Deore XT 2004 rear hub's
left side the exact same as the cassette splines on the right, or perhaps the
same as _some_ still available cassette?

I say because the ultracapacitor bike version 3 needs a freehub. I'd fit a 32
tooth cog and some spacer bits to the disc brake side to drive the motor
located in the frame triangle. My current version, version 1, uses a flip-flop
hub and a custom made chain ring holder.

Can you think of any way to add a chain ring to the left side of a free hub?
Yes, I could buy a single speed disc cog and bore it out, then cut the splines
or drill the holes. Some off the shelf way, hopefully, or a real simple, cheap
way.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com)
Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_e...uthors=dgoncz@
Old November 19th 03, 05:30 PM
Per Elmsäter

Doug Goncz wrote:
Hello.

Are the splines that hold on the disc brake on the Deore XT 2004 rear
hub's left side the exact same as the cassette splines on the right,
or perhaps the same as _some_ still available cassette?

I say because the ultracapacitor bike version 3 needs a freehub. I'd
fit a 32 tooth cog and some spacer bits to the disc brake side to
drive the motor located in the frame triangle. My current version,
version 1, uses a flip-flop hub and a custom made chain ring holder.

Can you think of any way to add a chain ring to the left side of a
free hub? Yes, I could buy a single speed disc cog and bore it out,
then cut the splines or drill the holes. Some off the shelf way,
hopefully, or a real simple, cheap way.

I'm not quite sure I understand your question but I can say that I use the
same splined tool to tighten the lockring on my XTR discs and to remove the
cassette on the right side.
Please note that first you slap the disc onto the splines of the hub, then
you screw a lockring on top to hold it in place. This lockring is splined in
the center so that you can insert the casette removal tool into it for
tightening torque.

--
Perre

Old November 20th 03, 12:36 AM
Jeff Wills

( Doug Goncz ) wrote in message ...
Hello.

Are the splines that hold on the disc brake on the Deore XT 2004 rear hub's
left side the exact same as the cassette splines on the right, or perhaps the
same as _some_ still available cassette?

For this hub:
http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...314&psid=11303

???

No. No bicycle cog fits that spline.

I say because the ultracapacitor bike version 3 needs a freehub. I'd fit a 32
tooth cog and some spacer bits to the disc brake side to drive the motor
located in the frame triangle. My current version, version 1, uses a flip-flop
hub and a custom made chain ring holder.

Can you think of any way to add a chain ring to the left side of a free hub?
Yes, I could buy a single speed disc cog and bore it out, then cut the splines
or drill the holes. Some off the shelf way, hopefully, or a real simple, cheap
way.

Why not use a tandem freehub, which is threaded on the left side, and
make a threaded adapter from the hub to sprocket? This is how some of
the Electrathon cars adapt larger sprockets (bicycle chainring size)
to bicycle wheels. Take a look at
http://www.blueskydsn.com/products.html - the "M6 Sprocket Adaptors".

Jeff
Old November 20th 03, 11:29 PM
Doug Goncz

From: (Jeff Wills)

Take a look at
http://www.blueskydsn.com/products.html - the "M6 Sprocket Adaptors".

Cool! That's almost exactly what I already use.

I use a cheap flip-flop freewheel/track hub from Sheldon Brown (Sovos?). The
right side is a 7 speed Sachs freewheel 13-32. In a week it will be a
Hyperglide 11-34.

The left side is a 110 mm steel BMX spider drilled to 1 5/16 and tapped to 1
3/8 - 24, with a bottom bracket lock ring brazed on. It has 48 T.

For Version 3, the base bike is a Browning Automatic Transmission Bicycle. This
unique transmission mounts to a freehub. So a freehub is required, and I
thought I could put a 34 T cog on the left side splines.

I think it more likely I'll get another spider, drill it to whatever, and mount
it on the disc brake position with the six cap screws. That'll get Version 3 up
and running.

Do any of you know the bore of the disc brake? Is it 1 3/8 or less by 1/16 inch
increments? I have the Unibit for that, purchased for the threaded spider.

By the way, I never tried it, but with my 48/38/28 front and 48 rear flipped
around, the chain was tight on the 38-48 combination, I think it was, and I
could have had the world's lowest geared track bike. Maybe I did try it.....

What exactly is a tandem freehub? Why do they thread the left side? Is it the
same as a flip-flop hub?