Police pick on cyclist

Old December 2nd 08, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Doug[_3_]

Default Police pick on cyclist

On 2 Dec, 12:19, Roger Thorpe wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 2 Dec, 10:15, Roger Thorpe wrote:
Doug wrote:
The irony is that by not having lights he was putting himself far more
at risk of death from being hit by a driver than by being a danger to
anyone else, unlike say a car with no lights.
Well, Doug. Having very nearly ridden into an unlit cyclist a few times,
I'd think it fair to say that the risk to others, including pedestrians
is considerable.
Roger Thorpe

Well, Roger. Having been run down and injured by a driver who even
failed to see my lights the risk to me was considerable and to no one
else.

That makes it alright then.

As I said, the cyclist with no lights is more a danger to themself
than to anyone else, unlike a motorist with no lights who is a danger
to all, given the large mass and velocity difference.

--
Carfree Cities
http://www.carfree.com/
Old December 2nd 08, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Roger Thorpe[_6_]

Doug wrote:
The irony is that by not having lights he was putting himself far more
at risk of death from being hit by a driver than by being a danger to
anyone else, unlike say a car with no lights.
Well, Doug. Having very nearly ridden into an unlit cyclist a few times,
I'd think it fair to say that the risk to others, including pedestrians
is considerable.
Roger Thorpe
Well, Roger. Having been run down and injured by a driver who even
failed to see my lights the risk to me was considerable and to no one
else.

That makes it alright then.

As I said, the cyclist with no lights is more a danger to themself
than to anyone else, unlike a motorist with no lights who is a danger
to all, given the large mass and velocity difference.

I'm sorry what is your point? That because an unlit car is more
dangerous than a bike the unlit cyclist should be ignored?
Roger Thorpe
Old December 2nd 08, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Doug[_3_]

Doug wrote:
[...]

No, that closet motorists here should not keep on banging on about
cyclist misdemeanors when they themselves are just as guilty if not
more so.

Old December 2nd 08, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Colin Reed

Doug wrote:
[...]

Sorry, my car doesn't fit in my closet. What does that make me?

Colin

Old December 2nd 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_6_]

Doug wrote:
Roger Thorpe

No, that closet motorists here should not keep on banging on about
cyclist misdemeanors when they themselves are just as guilty if not
more so.

We must be reading different newsgroups because I don't see much of that.
What I do see is you, crossposting and dragging in the motorists that
you have already antagonised. Not helpful.
Roger Thorpe
Crosspost removed once again.
Old December 2nd 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Wright

Colin Reed wrote:
Well whoop-de-bloody-doo. Next you'll be telling us that crumble isn't
made from fruit, only from apples.

mode type="facetious"
Well actually, it's made from flour, sugar and butter.
/mode

--
I'm at CAMbridge, not SPAMbridge
Old December 2nd 08, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
calum

On Dec 2, 12:05*pm, David Hansen
wrote:
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:25:00 -0800 (PST) someone who may be PeterG
wrote this:-

Like all road users he should check his light before he made his
journey.

According to the article he says he did. "But Mr Cimini challenged
this, claiming he had left his flat with both lights working"

Next.

According to the article he accepted a Fixed Penalty Notice, thereby
accepting his guilt.

Next.

Calum
Old December 2nd 08, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting calum :
On Dec 2, 12:05=A0pm, David Hansen
According to the article he says he did. "But Mr Cimini challenged
this, claiming he had left his flat with both lights working"

According to the article he accepted a Fixed Penalty Notice, thereby
accepting his guilt.

Because no-one ever accepted an FPN to avoid being dragged into court for
two coppers' word against theirs, right?
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Gouday, November.
Old December 2nd 08, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:59:12 +0000, Tom Wright
wrote:

Colin Reed wrote:
Well whoop-de-bloody-doo. Next you'll be telling us that crumble isn't
made from fruit, only from apples.

mode type="facetious"
Well actually, it's made from flour, sugar and butter.
/mode

Have you tried it with porridge oats and oil instead? More crumbly,
IYSWIM.
--
Tim
Old December 2nd 08, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
Fod

Doug wrote:
The irony is that by not having lights he was putting himself far more
at risk of death from being hit by a driver than by being a danger to
anyone else, unlike say a car with no lights.

Well, Doug. Having very nearly ridden into an unlit cyclist a few times,
I'd think it fair to say that the risk to others, including pedestrians
is considerable.

Dougs not very big on pedestrian rights for some odd reason.

Fod

Mystery Cyclist turns themselves over to Police... Gemma_k Australia 5 June 15th 06 11:56 AM
BBC - Cyclist Chased & Hit by Police car Adrian Boliston UK 39 September 20th 05 12:41 PM
Police officer injures cyclist David Hansen UK 5 June 4th 05 08:59 PM
Police kill cyclist MSeries UK 22 July 14th 04 01:27 PM
Chatting to a Police Cyclist Today [Not Responding] UK 14 June 19th 04 12:08 AM