Mummy, what is it???

Old August 1st 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

Default Mummy, what is it???

tomtrevor wrote:
arent those things like impossible to ride

unijesse wrote:
your not serious are you?

The English language coughs, keels over and dies.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old August 1st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
treepotato

maybe the guy who made it was dsylexic...

--
treepotato

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

Old August 2nd 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peter.bier

Into the blue wrote:
It's just a straight bar with regular mountain bike bar-ends out on. I
can't see why either, they don't seem to serve a purpose.

That's because you have never had your expensive brake lever snap in
half from an unplanned dismount :-) The bar ends are curved in such a
way to protect the brake lever from snapping off during a high speed
dismount.

I hypothesize that the rear bumper may be to protect the mud guard from
snapping during a UPD, although it is marginal as to whether it is
quite long enough (I would have made it about 1cm longer). The rear
guard may help protect the brake cable too.

Also the designer may have liked the aesthetics of a symmetrical bar.
I suspect a symetrical bar may help keep the centre of gravity of the
unicycle in a nicer place and make the machine easier to ride, although
I have only experimented with assymetrical handles. Certainly a fair
few touring unicycles have been retrofitted with bars that are
symmetrical (which serve as crash bars as well as mount points for
brakes, computers, drink bottles etc).

As to why most unicycles don't have suspension forks - it is very
difficult to set up a fork suspension system that does not rub your
frame when you turn corners. While pedaling a unicycle you put a heap
of force on one side and then the other. Even with a normal frame you
may experience some wheel rub when riding up big hills. With
suspension forks the problem is aggrevated and one side will compress
more than the other as you pedal, resulting in frame rub.

If the shocks are stiff enough that the wheel does not rub then they
provide little benefit. A seat post shock system like the thud-buster
works far better but is a little bit of overkill. Gecko designs came up
with the suspension system I liked best, based on a cantilevered
titanium frame.

--
peter.bier

-Peter Bier
peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

Old August 2nd 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomtrevor

unijesse wrote:
your not serious are you?

dont worry im not. ive only heard of one guy that could ride one though
and it took him like 5 months to learn how to.

--
tomtrevor

'A GALLERY!!'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/?g2_itemId=196944)
'KEEPIN' IT WHEEL' (www.mediahug.com/bikes)
So, what are you wearing?
If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the
others here for?
'g' (http://www.google.com.au/)'o' (http://www.google.com.br/)'o'
(http://www.google.co.uk/)'g' (http://www.google.com.ni/)'l'
(http://www.google.to/)'i' (http://www.google.ch/)'n'
(http://www.google.com.mt/)'g' (http://www.google.com.na/)'s'
(http://www.google.rw/)'!'
(http://www.google.com.do/)'t'
(http://mediahug.com/bikes/?page_id=26)o'm'
(http://www.funnyjunk.com/)'s 'r'
(http://www.tlb.org/park-all.lowbw.mpg)'a'
(http://www.burntfaceman.com/)n'd'
(http://tinyurl.com/c1as)'o'
(http://www.cheese.com)m 'l'
(http://www.mediahug.com/bikes/)i'n'
(http://www.mediahug.com/almax/)k'a'
(http://www.bakedbeans.com)'g'
(http://www.joecartoon.com/)e's'
(http://www.break.com/)
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

Old August 2nd 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dan de man

I know what it is it is, it's a McGuyver-cycle

--
dan de man

Tomtrevor hates sardines
pixtstix6 dislikes sardines
Mornish likes catching sardines
iridemymuni loathes sardines
spencer hates sardines .I got post 77000 in 'MR'
dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

Old August 2nd 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nickvb123

Julien Monney can sideways seat drag on a regular unicycle...

--
nickvb123

^_^
nickvb123's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5926

Old August 2nd 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jim

peter.bier wrote:

As to why most unicycles don't have suspension forks - it is very
difficult to set up a fork suspension system that does not rub your
frame when you turn corners. While pedaling a unicycle you put a heap
of force on one side and then the other. Even with a normal frame you
may experience some wheel rub when riding up big hills. With
suspension forks the problem is aggrevated and one side will compress
more than the other as you pedal, resulting in frame rub.

The reason why unicycles don't have suspension forks, is becuse even
though the seat is suspended you will still have to absorb the shocks
and bumps through your feet and legs because they will be below (or
outside) the suspension system. So you get very little benefit from
the suspension forks.

Maybe one day somebody will design a suspension unicycle hub which can
absorb the bumps but still cope with the driving forces, till then the
best solution is large volume tyres

jim

--
Jim
Jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9416

Old August 2nd 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Jim wrote:
The reason why unicycles don't have suspension forks, is becuse even
though the seat is suspended you will still have to absorb the shocks
and bumps through your feet and legs because they will be below (or
outside) the suspension system. So you get very little benefit from
the suspension forks.

Maybe one day somebody will design a suspension unicycle hub which can
absorb the bumps but still cope with the driving forces, till then the
best solution is large volume tyres

A seatpost shock might help me.

I'm just learning to ride shallow stairs, and I often get bumped off by
the seat after coming down hard on it. If the seatpost had suspension
and gave way a bit, perhaps I wouldn't bounce off the saddle as much.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...