Portland's Bridge Pedal Debacle

Old August 19th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,rec.autos.driving
Jeremy Parker

Default Portland's Bridge Pedal Debacle

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

[snip]

[Restricted Access

Interstate Highways

(a) It has been found and determined that the health, safety and
welfare
of the public require that the use of all Interstate highways in
the

[snip]

(c) The use of the aforesaid Interstate Highways by the following
classes of traffic is prohibited unless permission therefor has
been
obtained in advance from the Commissioner for the classes of
traffic
identified in (c)3 or (c)6 below:
1. Pedestrians;
2. Animals led, ridden or driven;
3. Bicycles;]

And I have a permit to ride my bike on the interstates of New Jersey,
although I seem to have mislaid it at the moment. Since I am three
thousand miles from New Jersey at the moment, in London England, I
won't expend much effort in searching for it right now.

I got the permit about a quarter of a century ago, I think, but it's
good for life.

Jeremy Parker

Old August 19th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,rec.autos.driving
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Don Homuth" dhomuthoneatcomcast.net wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:11:18 GMT, Arif Khokar
wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:38:13 GMT, Arif Khokar
wrote:
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

And as for the rest, I notice you are ignoring the federal law
prohibiting bicycles on interstates.

Could you cite this law, because I'm quite sure that cyclists are
allowed to ride on interstates in some locations where a suitable
alternative route doesn't exist.

I205. Non-motorized vehicles prohibited north of West Linn exit.

That's a state law, not a federal law. In any case, I know many (most?)
states have laws that prohibit certain classes of vehicles from
interstates and other limited access highways. The fact that some
states allow bicycles on interstates would seem to indicate that there
is no federal law regarding the operation of bicycles on interstates.

The traffic laws pertaining to Interstates are, by and large, under
State control -- not federal.

That is an extreme simplification of a complex issue.

Interstate highways are required (at least new construction - I'll get
to that in a minute) to follow standards set by AASHTO. The
federal government enforces this by threatening to withhold federal
highway funds if a state does not pass laws that they want. (ie:
speed limit laws, seatbelt, etc.)

The AASHTO guidelines are designed to MAXIMIZE TRAFFIC
THROUGHPUT. On Interstates that have broad shoulders, a
bicyclist does not present an impediment to traffic. But many Interstates
in downtown areas (such as I-5 in Portland) do NOT have adequate
shoulders. The state law dictates that a bicyclist must take the traffic
lane when a shoulder or sidewalk isn't available. This would put usage
of the Interstate in direct conflict with the whole point of the AASHTO
guidelines. Thus the federal government has dictated to the states that
in these cases, they are to ban non-motorized vehicle traffic on the
Interstate, or risk losing highway funds. This is also why state laws
requiring bike lanes are not applied to Interstates - the Feds wouldn't
allow it.

That is also why some states do not disallow non-motorized vehicles -
because the Interstates in them are young, meet all AASHTO
guidelines (including those dictating a wide shoulder) and bicycle
traffic would not conflict. Arizona is one of these states. More
discussion on this can be found he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-mot...ss_on_freeways

Anyway, sorry I cannot point to a specific law you bikers can write to
your congresscritter to get revoked or use as the martyers law on your
flags. You need to understand a great many federal regulations these
days are done via proxy- the feds want something so they "suggest" to
the states it would be a good idea for the state to make a law about it,
and if the state refuses the feds will make it very uncomfortable for the
state.

Ted

Old August 19th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,rec.autos.driving
Bjorn Berg f/Fergie Berg and All the Ships at S

Wikipedia, the Whore Book Encyclopeda.

Rewritten and coddled by Congressional figures and the CIA, Mickey D's
and all of corporate America. The National Enquirer of all time.

It's like your lousy alcoholic uncle who claims to have it together
but he got a 22 years pregnant with twins and they found the pills he
was going to kill himself with.

Old August 20th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,rec.autos.driving
Bill Sornson

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
Bjorn Berg f/Fergie Berg and All the Ships at S wrote:
Wikipedia, the Whore Book Encyclopeda.

Rewritten and coddled by Congressional figures and the CIA, Mickey
D's and all of corporate America. The National Enquirer of all time.

It's like your lousy alcoholic uncle who claims to have it together
but he got a 22 years pregnant with twins and they found the pills
he was going to kill himself with.

Got her number?

Desperate?

I've been arguing with you, haven't I?

Old August 22nd 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,rec.autos.driving
Lobby Dosser

"Jeremy Parker" wrote:

[...]

I'd rather not even Drive in NJ, never mind cycling!
Old August 22nd 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,rec.autos.driving
Bjorn Berg f/Fergie Berg and All the Ships at S

On Aug 19, 11:45 am, "Jeremy Parker"
wrote:
[...]

hard to get a bus to Jersey

Old August 22nd 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,pdx.general,or.politics,rec.autos.driving
Bjorn Berg f/Fergie Berg and All the Ships at S

On Aug 21, 9:46 pm, Lobby Dosser
wrote:
"Jeremy Parker" wrote:

[...]

Too many escaped jungle animals, especially lions chasing giraffes
outside Passaic.