Creeping brake pad drag

Old November 20th 19, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin[_2_]

Default Creeping brake pad drag

I have been riding a gravel bike (Kona Rove NRB DL https://www.konaworld.com/rove_nrb_dl.cfm) for a year now. It has developed a tendency to drag the pads of the front brakes against the disc. I recently had the pads and rotor, front and rear, replaced (about 5,000 Km of use). As I ride, a noise comes from the front brake that suggests that the pads are touching the rotor, and it increases in volume until I "blip" the lever, which makes it go away for maybe another Km or so--or less.

Has anyone encountered this before? if yes, how did you solve it?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old November 20th 19, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-11-20 11:07, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
I have been riding a gravel bike (Kona Rove NRB DL
https://www.konaworld.com/rove_nrb_dl.cfm) for a year now. It has
developed a tendency to drag the pads of the front brakes against the
disc. I recently had the pads and rotor, front and rear, replaced
(about 5,000 Km of use). As I ride, a noise comes from the front
brake that suggests that the pads are touching the rotor, and it
increases in volume until I "blip" the lever, which makes it go away
for maybe another Km or so--or less.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Yes. My MTB often sounds like a truck.

... if yes, how did you solve it? --

By ignoring it :-)

It doesn't produce noticeable real drag but occasionally startles
animals. I ask them to forgive me but not sure if they understand.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 20th 19, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/20/2019 1:07 PM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
I have been riding a gravel bike (Kona Rove NRB DL https://www.konaworld.com/rove_nrb_dl.cfm) for a year now. It has developed a tendency to drag the pads of the front brakes against the disc. I recently had the pads and rotor, front and rear, replaced (about 5,000 Km of use). As I ride, a noise comes from the front brake that suggests that the pads are touching the rotor, and it increases in volume until I "blip" the lever, which makes it go away for maybe another Km or so--or less.

Has anyone encountered this before? if yes, how did you solve it?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Likely pads are not centered and parallel which is usually
obvious on inspection. Review the setup directions for your
brake. Start with the inner pad adjustment tight, center the
caliper to the rotor, secure it and then do your final
adjustment.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 20th 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/20/2019 2:07 PM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
I have been riding a gravel bike (Kona Rove NRB DL https://www.konaworld.com/rove_nrb_dl.cfm) for a year now. It has developed a tendency to drag the pads of the front brakes against the disc. I recently had the pads and rotor, front and rear, replaced (about 5,000 Km of use). As I ride, a noise comes from the front brake that suggests that the pads are touching the rotor, and it increases in volume until I "blip" the lever, which makes it go away for maybe another Km or so--or less.

Has anyone encountered this before? if yes, how did you solve it?

I encountered something vaguely similar on a bike owned by a touring
cyclist who was visiting. I had repaired some other stuff on the guy's
bike and took the bike on a test ride around the block. I couldn't fix
the disc noise for him, but he seemed strangely unbothered by it.

Another friend had a similar problem with his rear disc on a new bike he
bought this past spring. For him, the noises occurred sporadically,
mostly when he was climbing out of the saddle. IIRC it took three trips
back to the shop to get it to stop. I never learned how the shop fixed
it. (That friend's not very mechanical.)

I prevented the problem for _me_ by not buying a disc brake bike. YMMV.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 20th 19, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 11:45:24 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

This was one of the original complaints I had against disk brakes. As Joerg says, it doesn't seem to cause any noticeable drag but it does make noise and it does cause the pads to wear out faster.
Old November 20th 19, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-11-20 13:50, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

When I had the MTB new I was babying this sort of stuff. To keep it
totally quiet required constant alignment, every 10 rides or so. Too
much and it's only a matter of time until the aluminum threads waller
out, which would present a serious problem. Meantime I upgraded to 8"
rotors front and back and the adapter has its own threads. However, I
just don't fuss about a wee noise anymore.

-- Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1
April, 1971

This was one of the original complaints I had against disk brakes. As
Joerg says, it doesn't seem to cause any noticeable drag but it does
make noise and it does cause the pads to wear out faster.

My impression is that it doesn't impact the pad wear much. When I ride
my MTB on flatland trails there is hardly any pad wear while in the
hills it's substantial.

Old November 21st 19, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 21/11/19 6:45 am, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't they be hydraulic brakes?

I agree with checking that the calipers are properly located on the
mount so that the pads are aligned with the rotor, and I would think
bleeding the brakes might help?

--
JS
Old November 21st 19, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 11:07:59 AM UTC-8, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
I have been riding a gravel bike (Kona Rove NRB DL https://www.konaworld.com/rove_nrb_dl.cfm) for a year now. It has developed a tendency to drag the pads of the front brakes against the disc. I recently had the pads and rotor, front and rear, replaced (about 5,000 Km of use). As I ride, a noise comes from the front brake that suggests that the pads are touching the rotor, and it increases in volume until I "blip" the lever, which makes it go away for maybe another Km or so--or less.

Has anyone encountered this before? if yes, how did you solve it?

Yikes, you must do a lot of braking. 3K miles for a rotor doesn't seem like much.

Anyway, you may just need to reset your pistons. https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/r...liper-pistons/ If that doesn't work, then the next thing is checking to make sure the caliper is centered. Like Andrew says, just follow the instructions for installation/alignment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk_nC9anQcM&t=13s

If that doesn't do it, check to make sure that both pistons are retracting. I have a piston that will drag occasionally, and I need to clean it. Follow this routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQXF...&feature=youtu

Another outside possibility is that the system is over-filled, so if all else fails, bleed it and refill it.

And if all that doesn't work, buy a new caliper -- you could just have a bad one (there can be issues with seals and pistons). The notion that a hydraulic road disc will inevitably drag and make noise is wrong. I have hydraulic discs on three bikes, and they drag only when there is an issue.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 21st 19, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 8:35:15 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 21/11/19 6:45 am, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Yes, Shimano 105 flat mount calipers and Shimano hydraulic brake levers. The rotors is 160 mm.

I agree with checking that the calipers are properly located on the
mount so that the pads are aligned with the rotor, and I would think
bleeding the brakes might help?

Thanks, and thanks to Andrew Muzi as well.
Old November 21st 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 6:02:18 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Remember that Joerge rides almost entirely off-road. My CX bike wore the pads out very rapidly. But it was my impression that this was because the pads were very shallow. After all, you could slip them in without pulling the mechanism apart.

disc brake drag hayes circa 2003 maceo Techniques 12 April 11th 12 05:04 AM
Creeping seatpost Jack Myers Techniques 41 March 9th 10 02:57 PM
Drag Brake Setup?? pdc Unicycling 2 March 3rd 06 05:43 PM
Tire creeping over rim - Techniques 24 October 4th 04 08:21 AM
Hydraulic Drag Brake gbarnes Unicycling 6 August 6th 04 02:54 PM