Best way to measure Watts-

Old December 3rd 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
cycledogg

Default Best way to measure Watts-

I am considering getting into using watts measured for training this
season. Which is the best or most accurate way to measure, Powermeter
from the rear hub or SRM from the crank?
Cheers and Happy Holidays,
Rick in Tennessee
Old December 3rd 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

cycledogg wrote:

I am considering getting into using watts measured for training this
season. Which is the best or most accurate way to measure, Powermeter
from the rear hub or SRM from the crank?
Cheers and Happy Holidays,
Rick in Tennessee

You are better off setting aside that $2-3,000 for spare tires and
parts. A power meter won't help you get better and it's very unlikely
the rate limiting factor in your training is 'knowledge' of your power.

Power meters are the lastest fad for a lot of morons and 150-mile/week
cyclists who micromanage their on-bike training and think they're
training scientifically.

In reality, most of your limitations in maximimizing your fitness are
going to be things like money, free time, rest time, daily stress from
your job/school, genetics, diet, etc..

In order to justify the cost of a power meter, it means you have all
these other things under control, which you don't.

So I recommend you put that money into other things that will help your
fitness more than a power meter.

Magilla

Old December 3rd 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 3, 10:45 am, cycledogg wrote:
I am considering getting into using watts measured for training this
season. Which is the best or most accurate way to measure, Powermeter
from the rear hub or SRM from the crank?

Each has advantages and disadvantages. "Best" depends on your
situation. PT appears to be more precise than SRM Amateur; roughly on
par with SRM Pro.
Old December 3rd 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 3, 1:27 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
cycledogg wrote:
I am considering getting into using watts measured for training this
season. Which is the best or most accurate way to measure, Powermeter
from the rear hub or SRM from the crank?
Cheers and Happy Holidays,
Rick in Tennessee

You are better off setting aside that $2-3,000 for spare tires and
parts. A power meter won't help you get better and it's very unlikely
the rate limiting factor in your training is 'knowledge' of your power.

This is ignorance speaking. In the truest sense of the word.

Power meters are the lastest fad for a lot of morons and 150-mile/week
cyclists who micromanage their on-bike training and think they're
training scientifically.

I do not know of even ONE person who did not improve after getting a
powermeter. It helps you to train better, monitor your training load,
see if you are improving.

There are people who don't want to like power training, and cannot be
convinced of anything.
Old December 3rd 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

cycledogg wrote:

[...]

This is hilarious. We're suppose to believe that you actually witnessed
that riders who got power meters got better and that it was due entirely
to their power meter. Hilarious. This is right up there with a claim
that psychics help solve criminal cases because people have supposeldy
witnessed it.

Riddle me this one, joker-face: Do you think guys from the 1970's ever
rode with other riders who "got better." Or are you the only one?

I also like how you imply that you've isolated the reason for their
improvement as being due solel to their power meter. How do you know it
wasn't due to their EPO injections, their diet, their experience, or
their extra mileage? How did you rule all these other factors out and
come tot he conclusion it was due to their power meter?

Vinokourov, Ullrich, Heras, and Tyler Hamilton also got better after
installing a power meter on their bikes.

You just earned yourself an invitation to the attitude adjustment
cycling camp I'm putting on at the Saulsalito cafe. See you there 3
p.m. this Friday.

Magilla
Old December 3rd 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

MagillaGorilla wrote:
cycledogg wrote:

[...]

I used a PowerTap to show that it is possible to
simultaneously cut power and accelerate in a velodrome
turn.

Bob Schwartz
Old December 3rd 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

These are people I have ridden with for years, so yes, they got a
powermeter, tested themselves, and in subsequent years, tested better.
It could be other things of course, but for me, I got a lot better at
training and knowing how to train because of the feedback the
powermeter gives me. I have concrete goals to shoot for.

The original poster should get a powermeter. It makes people train
better. If you don't agree, that's ok. I know it's fun for simpletons
to take the contrarian position.
Old December 3rd 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Dec 3, 11:27 am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
cycledogg wrote:
I am considering getting into using watts measured for training this
season. Which is the best or most accurate way to measure, Powermeter
from the rear hub or SRM from the crank?
Cheers and Happy Holidays,
Rick in Tennessee

You are better off setting aside that $2-3,000 for spare tires and
parts. A power meter won't help you get better and it's very unlikely
the rate limiting factor in your training is 'knowledge' of your power.

As painful as it is, I have to agree with Magilla. Unless you're a Cat
1 or better the only thing you'll get from a power meter is an empty
wallet. Improved training techniques by hiring a good coach would
improve you a great deal better and faster. Talk to Adam Meyerson.

Power meters are the lastest fad for a lot of morons and 150-mile/week
cyclists who micromanage their on-bike training and think they're
training scientifically.

And they improve not because of the training methods they use but
because they're also racing more. Nothing leads to improved racing
muscles than racing.
Old December 3rd 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

wrote:

On Dec 3, 10:45 am, cycledogg wrote:

I am considering getting into using watts measured for training this
season. Which is the best or most accurate way to measure, Powermeter
from the rear hub or SRM from the crank?

Each has advantages and disadvantages. "Best" depends on your
situation. PT appears to be more precise than SRM Amateur; roughly on
par with SRM Pro.

Don't pay any attention to this answer. You don't need a power meter
unless you want to be a pro and have the genetics to be a pro.
Otherwise, the only thing you need if you want to get substantially
better is a willingness to endure pain and stare at asphalt for 4 hours
a day.

If for some strange reason you even found the spare time to actually
utilize the data from a power meter and assimilate it into a training
program (a nice little Ph.d. project that should take you 2-3 hours a
day to do properly), then you will find your are wasting your time with
trivial projects when you should be trying to bang some hot chick.

So delete your power meter auction links on ebay and put that money
towards some new Michelin clinchers and save the rest for a few dates
with a hot chick. You will gain more mental and physical motivation
from hitting that than graphing your power curves after every training
ride.

When Lance Armstrong won the world championships at 21, he didn't use a
power meter to do that. When Greg LeMond won.....

And all those jackasses you see on continental teams who have resumes
that read like a manager to a valet service for parking lot criteriums
who use power meters on their rigs - they are just kidding themselves.
The only reason they got them on their bikes is because everyone else
got them.

If you go to a pro race, you'll notice all the pro teams sit around in
the SAME type of folding chair. Do you know why? Because the people in
this sport are so fad-oriented and so cliquish, that whatever someone
else does, they do.

Monkey see, monkey do. Don't be another monkey. Be a gorilla.

Magilla
Old December 3rd 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

You just earned yourself an invitation to the attitude adjustment
cycling camp I'm putting on at the Saulsalito cafe. See you there 3
p.m. this Friday.

Magilla

Is this a variation of the "I'm faster or better than you so I am
right?" argument?

Forty-four watts per Kilogram? jj General 13 July 23rd 05 05:16 AM
How many watts? [email protected] Techniques 34 June 5th 05 09:20 PM
figuring out watts/kg M.E. Racing 6 June 1st 05 10:32 PM
PowerTap watts vs Computrainer watts David Wuertele Techniques 13 April 8th 05 12:56 AM
Headlights: candlepower vs. watts Michael Press Techniques 11 August 14th 04 10:38 PM