Did RBR cover this already?

Old January 5th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Did RBR cover this already?

wrote in message
On Jan 4, 7:25 pm, ronaldo_jeremiah

wrote:
On Jan 4, 1:37 pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...rance.cycling1

Untrained Kenyan cyclists ride the Alpe

Bahati must be behind this.

it might be just a matter of time before pro teams start to notice and
start to cherry pick some of the best from africa; would be great too

You've never raced have you?

Old January 5th 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

wrote:
On Jan 4, 1:37 pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...rance.cycling1

Untrained Kenyan cyclists ride the Alpe

Bahati must be behind this.

it might be just a matter of time before pro teams start to notice and
start to cherry pick some of the best from africa; would be great too

You've never raced have you?

I've known people who raced for several years and STILL rode like they
were bat**** crazy. They were in great shape, but frighteningly unaware.
Some people just aren't cut out for some things. I don't know how you'd
know ahead of time.
Old January 5th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jan 4, 10:51*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
wrote in message

it might be just a matter of time before pro teams start to notice and
start to cherry pick some of the best from africa; would be great too

You've never raced have you?

WTF is that supposed to mean? The answer, of course, has nothing to
do with the subject at hand. A supreme endurance athlete is born, not
made. No one implied that they'd take a random and plop him down in
the big show. What exactly has you nervous about this topic?

Old January 5th 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Fred Fredburger" wrote in message

wrote:
On Jan 4, 1:37 pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...rance.cycling1

Untrained Kenyan cyclists ride the Alpe

Bahati must be behind this.

it might be just a matter of time before pro teams start to notice and
start to cherry pick some of the best from africa; would be great too

You've never raced have you?

I've known people who raced for several years and STILL rode like they
were bat**** crazy. They were in great shape, but frighteningly unaware.
Some people just aren't cut out for some things. I don't know how you'd
know ahead of time.

Hmm, did you somehow miss the subject of the conversation? Our friend
raamman doesn't seem to know the difference between doing 4 or more cat 1 or
better passes and then climbing an hors category climb and someone just
climbing one climb.

Old January 5th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
On Jan 4, 1:37 pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...rance.cycling1

Untrained Kenyan cyclists ride the Alpe

Bahati must be behind this.

it might be just a matter of time before pro teams start to notice and
start to cherry pick some of the best from africa; would be great too

You've never raced have you?

I've known people who raced for several years and STILL rode like they
were bat**** crazy. They were in great shape, but frighteningly unaware..
Some people just aren't cut out for some things. I don't know how you'd
know ahead of time.

Hmm, did you somehow miss the subject of the conversation? Our friend
raamman doesn't seem to know the difference between doing 4 or more cat 1 or
better passes and then climbing an hors category climb and someone just
climbing one climb.- Hide quoted text -

there are other articles on african cyclists, mostly buried on the
net, but if you look at their equiptment their love for the sport you
might see there does lie a lot of potiential there. there is absolutly
no reason the next 5 time tdf winner can't come from africa
Old January 5th 09, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jan 5, 12:20*am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Hmm, did you somehow miss the subject of the conversation? Our friend
raamman doesn't seem to know the difference between doing 4 or more cat 1 or
better passes and then climbing an hors category climb and someone just
climbing one climb.

We started off with this:

"Untrained Kenyan cyclists ride the Alpe"

Do you believe that trained they'd do worse? Or maybe you believe
that they'd be shocked, just shocked!, to see another climb after they
just finished one?

Old January 5th 09, 07:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
On Jan 4, 1:37 pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...rance.cycling1

Untrained Kenyan cyclists ride the Alpe

Bahati must be behind this.

it might be just a matter of time before pro teams start to notice and
start to cherry pick some of the best from africa; would be great too

You've never raced have you?

officially no.but I did get a racing license. I'm far, far too much of
a loner to join a team; there are some other things as well, but those
are just excuses of convienence- I'm just not interested
Old January 5th 09, 07:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Tom Kunich wrote:
"Fred Fredburger" wrote in
message ...

wrote:
On Jan 4, 1:37 pm, Anton Berlin wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...rance.cycling1

Untrained Kenyan cyclists ride the Alpe

Bahati must be behind this.

it might be just a matter of time before pro teams start to notice and
start to cherry pick some of the best from africa; would be great too

You've never raced have you?

I've known people who raced for several years and STILL rode like they
were bat**** crazy. They were in great shape, but frighteningly
unaware. Some people just aren't cut out for some things. I don't know
how you'd know ahead of time.

Hmm, did you somehow miss the subject of the conversation? Our friend
raamman doesn't seem to know the difference between doing 4 or more cat
1 or better passes and then climbing an hors category climb and someone
just climbing one climb.

But even if you didn't win that point, it remains true that there's more
to racing than simply riding up hills. The ability to stay upright,
while helpful, eludes some pretty high profile guys. Tactics too. In a
grand tour, the ability to eat sufficiently and properly for 3 weeks is
a big deal. Etc.

I agree with you. When raaman speaks of cherry picking the best
endurance athletes from Africa and turning them into cyclists, he's
oversimplifying. Gonna have to start a lot younger than the 24 year olds
in the story quoted above.
Old January 5th 09, 10:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

RicodJour wrote:

On Jan 4, 2:37*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...rance.cycling1

Untrained Kenyan cyclists ride the Alpe

No, of course it hasn't been covered. J. Page and his loathe-to-admit-
his-man-crush simian have been taking up the bandwidth.

This could be interesting. Guys that live at 2K meters, naturally
have 6% body fat, and like to do loooooooooong miles. They'd get much
more...errr....mileage out of riding in the Tour and doing
comparatively well.

What is this - another hypothetical discussion? All you people do in here
is try to engage in these fantasy cycling threads where you predict who is
going to win the next race using some dildo analysis that never pans out.

Try talking about something in reality.

Magilla

Old January 5th 09, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Amit Ghosh wrote:

On Jan 4, 5:49*pm, Susan Walker wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 11:37:32 -0800 (PST), Anton Berlin wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...rance.cycling1

From the article

"Zakayo and Myangi rode in a traditional Thursday morning mass
time-trial. After a hugely promising 46-minute opening stab, they
emerged with best times of 42 minutes for Zackary and 43 minutes for
Myangi. These would have placed the riders comfortably within the top
50 in the 2004 Tour de France time trial, five minutes down on Lance
Armstrong's winning mark that year."

Whoa

Wait, what they mean is that the top 50 is within 5 minutes, not that
they are 5 minutes down on Armstrong:
* 1 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal p/b Berry Floor *39:41 (23.44 km/h)
50 Laurent Lefèvre (Fra) Brioches La Boulangère * *+ 4:57

Yes. If armstrong's time was 39:41 and their times were 42 and 43
minutes they are within 3 and 4 minutes of armstrong.

Any rider who is 3-4 minutes down on Lance and has no weight to lose will
likely not improve much. I bet you Moninger in his prime could have kept it
within 3 minutes. What is the point of this thread?

Magilla

Cover Girl Mike A Schwab General 0 December 22nd 07 07:12 AM
KH Fusion Cover on a DX. Borgschulze Unicycling 11 December 23rd 06 06:07 AM
Seat Cover UniFanatic03 Unicycling 7 June 26th 05 02:51 PM
KH Saddle Cover DarkTom Unicycling 24 January 28th 05 01:29 PM
Air seat cover unarueda Unicycling 4 November 1st 03 05:17 AM