Senior Olympics

Old July 27th 04, 07:28 AM
Mark Leuck

Default Senior Olympics

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

So then, you did eat like a pig and never moved a muscle in order to gain
those extra 60 pounds? But we here on ARBR would like to know your mind

set
while you were doing this.

Ed I doubt you will be satisfied with this answer (nor do I really care) so
this is not directed to you but to others who might be where I was then

2 years ago I was 260 pounds and yes I ate like a pig and never moved a
muscle for most of the previous decade, the mind set is simple in that it
was much easier to do nothing than something. I sat on my ass at work and
sat on my ass at home on the computer, do that long enough and you too will
be up there (if you aren't already). I saw the extra weight and figured it
was all part of the age process (I was 42 then) and that is just the way it
went and the fact I didn't own a scale and therefore never realized (or
really cared) just how bad off I was. I would walk the halls at work and be
out of breath. Order a pizza and have it half devoured by the time I got
home, burgers fries etc, its a lifestyle that was very easy to get into....

While visiting my brother in Denver mid June 2002 I stopped by one of those
GNC stores which had a scale where you inserted 50 cents and it gave you a
slip of paper with your weight and what your optimum weight should be. The
paper said I weighed 259 pounds and was 89 pounds overweight, this was what
finally shocked me enough to do something about it. (I still have the
paper...framed)

Problem was I was too lazy to jog, tried rollerblades (couldn't figure out
how to stop), walking was boring and I knew I'd never consistantly go to a
health spa so biking was the only alternative. I'd tried that 5 years before
and got a cheap mountain bike that lasted about 2 weeks however this time
(in Denver) I noticed a guy riding a wierd looking bike (turned out to be a
Vision R42) up the Rocky Mountains (yes THE Rocky Mountains) and it looked
kinda neat and I figured my fat ass could handle that seat instead of a
standard bike seat, went on the net and looked up recumbent bikes and liked
what I saw with Vision the best (looked better than the others). Turned out
the local shop had an R50 that I could afford but even then I had to think
about it a while until I told myself if I didn't buy it I'd be dead in
another 5 years at the rate I was going (My guess is if I hadn't purchased
that I'd now easily be 300 pounds +)

Ended up doing 2200 miles on the Vision and lost 50 pounds, bought the
Optima Baron July 2003 and so far have lost another 30 and looking to lose
another 10 or 15 (65-170). This year I've done 3 centuries (on the Baron)
and just turned over 4,000 miles, this past weekend I rode 40 miles on
Saturday and 35 miles Sunday at 20+ mph average (21.5 Sat and 20.5 Sun), I
ride between 25 and 30 miles almost every day and blow the doors off of 99%
of the bikers in my area (its my current kick), my goal now is to ride from
Dallas Tx to Hot Springs Arkansas and back (700+ miles) and I have all the
confidence in the world I can and will be able to do it, these days I love
it when I get home with sore legs and I feel guilty if a good day goes by
without my riding, buying the bike transformed more than just my body

This message contained run-on sentences, improper punctuation, no periods at
the end and way too many commas but to be honest I could care less nor do I
really care what your response will be however I also hope you never get to
where I was back then, its not a fun place to be although its been damn fun
getting away

Old July 27th 04, 08:39 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

[...]

Mark, what you have just written is the best damn post that is on-topic that
I have ever read here! And I know it rings of a truth that bedevils all of
us. You are right. I have got to get off my dead ass and get moving again. I
am starting to worry about congestive heart failure from lack of activity
and I too have gained weight for the first time in my life. I simply can't
believe it. I was a string bean all of my life and now I am starting to look
like a lima bean.

I see you are a night owl like I am. Maybe if we normalize our sleep that
might help us too. Sometimes I am up all night and I am asleep all day. This
interferes enormously with getting out on the bike.

Many thanks for the great post.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 27th 04, 05:58 PM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Child" wrote in message
[...]
Hey Jerry,
I lost about 60 pounds low carbing and found that with distance or
performance cycling I needed to do some carbing up in order to

perform
well.

My guiding light in this arena is usually to be found on the

weightlifting
newsgroup (although I haven't been there in at least a year, so who

knows
where he is now). This article is likely to be helpful, but its

geared
towards weight training - read it anyway, the concepts are the same.

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...genic-diet.htm

If I were going to train for a short race like a 10K, I would be

doing
intervals. In my experience there is no faster way to improve your

cardio
fitness than intervals.

Edward Dolan wrote:

If you were 60 pounds overweight, you should not be doing any running

or
cycling at all. You should be in a hospital getting a stomach by-pass.
Frankly, I do not know how anyone in this world gets to be 60 pounds
overweight! You must have to really work at it. How are you able to do

it
other than eating like a pig and never moving a muscle. We here on

ARBR
need
to know this so we can gauge your level of intelligence.

How would an overweight person lose weight if not to exercise? Silly,
troll, please try again!

So then, you did eat like a pig and never moved a muscle in order to gain
those extra 60 pounds? But we here on ARBR would like to know your mind

set
while you were doing this.

My struggle with my weight has been a lifelong project.
I lost a great deal of weight by starving (literally- eating disorder) and
working out excessively in 1996. I managed to overcome the starving thing
and keep my weight relatively normal until quitting smoking in 1998, when I
decided that I would do whatever I needed to do to keep smoke free, which
meant eating lots of sugary things. Sugary things are the death of me. I
gained 60 pounds in a YEAR. I was active the entire time, and my starting
weight was probably lower than my normal weight but still.... 2 years after
quitting smoking I gave up my trigger foods - pasta, rice and sugar and
starting lifting weights. The weight came off slowly but its mostly still
off, but I do fluctuate up and down about 15 pounds, depending on my
committment to eating well. The committment to activity and exercise will be
forever- I feel so much better beings stronger and more active.

The fact is that all Americans are at least about 20 pounds over weight. I
think we must be the fattest people on earth. I think the reason for it is
that food is plentiful and cheap and we have machines to do all our

physical
work for us.

We are pretty overweight, yes. I personally think its because we eat all
kinds of processed crap instead of real food, and because we fill empty
holes in our lives by filling our mouths.

When I was a kid looking at TV there were no remotes and I was constantly
jumping up and down changing the channels. Now that I have a remote the

only
thing that ever gets any exercise are my fingers. As is well known, you

must
exercise the large muscles of the body (like the leg muscles). Exercising
the small muscles of the body (like the fingers) will do absolutely

nothing
for your weight and/or physical fitness. Thus spake Zarathustra!

LOL! My weight training philosophy is similar - why work out your hamstrings
on a nautilus machine when you can work out the glutes, hams and quads in
one BIG move?

Old July 28th 04, 04:36 AM
Tom Sherman

Child wrote:

I lost about 60 pounds...

Landscape to portrait. [Ducks in case someone remembers my smart ass
comment from about 4 years ago.]

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 28th 04, 06:20 AM
Child

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Child wrote:

I lost about 60 pounds...

Landscape to portrait. [Ducks in case someone remembers my smart ass
comment from about 4 years ago.]

LOL, I remember. Its Cletus who forgets!

Old July 31st 04, 04:14 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

The bottom line though is that most people do not have time for anything
much anymore. It always amazes me that with all the time saving gadgets we
have invented for ourselves over the past couple of generations, we seem to
have even less time than our did our ancestors.

Real wages for all but top executives in the US have been falling for
the last three decades - see the connection between that and less free time?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 31st 04, 04:16 AM
Tom Sherman

Child wrote:

Running is really hard on the joints, and for someone who is substantially
overweight, its really pretty uncomfortable. Imagine running with a fifty
pound bag of potatoes tied to your torso....

That is why the dog scooter was invented.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 31st 04, 04:34 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

Good Grief Tom! You have been on this newsgroup 4 years? You must be one of
the oldest of the old-timers. Does Beth go back that far too?

It will be 5 years in October.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 2nd 04, 10:39 PM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Nope! I only care what I think and I have already been fully informed on
innumerable occasions what others think of me. But they have not yet heard
what I think of them (calling names does not count - that is just fun and
games).

And they probably could give a flying ****.

By the way, Usenet, as it is being played out here on ARBR, is really

quite
a cozy little group. All we are doing is just passing emails back and

forth
which others can get in on. No one here is anonymous - and I have never

met
anyone in my life who didn't care what someone else might think of him.

I certainly care professionally what people think of me, but I could care
less what you think of me.

Old August 2nd 04, 10:39 PM
Child

Child wrote:

Running is really hard on the joints, and for someone who is

substantially
overweight, its really pretty uncomfortable. Imagine running with a

fifty
pound bag of potatoes tied to your torso....

That is why the dog scooter was invented.

LOL, my boys prefer a sled these days, but they scooter on occasion.