The Fear

Old August 16th 03, 07:53 PM
dannyfrankszzz

Default The Fear

I've been cycling now for about two years. I usually do about 50-100
miles a week. I really enjoy cycling and I would do a lot more if it
wasn't for the fear element.

I live in London and whenever/wherever I'm riding, it's always in the
back of my mind that it just takes one idiot to do me a serious injury.
I've had several small collisions which so far have not resulted in
anything serious (fingers crossed) but I begin to go down that path of
fear of "is it only a matter of time before a serious accident does
happen?" I know this is negative thinking but it does cause me to be
ultra cautious and defensive when I ride. Accident avoidance is far more
important than being in the right but tasting tarmac.

Normally, when I ride I try to hug the kerb as much as possible but when
there is a parked car I have to veer out and while doing so I always
turn my head to look at the driver - just to make it clear in their mind
that I'm moving out. This seems to have a better effect and makes the
driver slow down when they realise that I'm aware of them.

I dream about the UK becoming like Holland and the Netherlands where
cyclists ride with no fear.

Anyway, sorry to be on a bit of a downer but I guess I just wanted to
know how everybody else deals with it.

Happy Riding!

Old August 17th 03, 01:51 AM
Call me Bob

On 17 Aug 2003 04:43:58 +0950, dannyfrankszzz
wrote:

I dream about the UK becoming like Holland and the Netherlands where
cyclists ride with no fear.

Well, it's funny you should say that because I was in Amsterdam the
other day and that is a city I'd *never* wish to cycle in, they
certainly do know no fear.

Normally I'm very happy riding in traffic, in fact I relish fast,
busy, city traffic but this was just manic. Before I arrived I was
looking forward to seeing what I thought would be utopia for the city
cyclist, what I encountered was more like a battlefield. Narrow
streets with cars urgently pushing their way through double parked
gaps with thousands of bikes buzzing about in all directions. Several
times I thought someone was about to be killed, a few times I thought
the taxi I was a passenger in was going to do the squishing. It was
not pleasant at all.

On the other hand, Switzerland really is a paradise on earth for us
two wheelers. Polite, civilised drivers, excellent cycle paths that
efficiently guide you to useful or beautiful places, buses and trains
begging you to travel with your bicycle. At the train station near to
where I work there is a dedicated ramped underground bike "car park"
with oodles of space - it even has a compressed air line with dual
head for inflating different kinds of bike tyres in case you should
find yourself with a flat. I was tempted to puncture a tyre just so I
could take advantage.

All this and practically zero fear of having your bike stolen. The
hotel where I stay is used a couple of times a week by local cycling
clubs, they roll in during evening rides to have a leisurely beer and
a chat before setting off again. They all leave their Campag Record
equipped Colnagos leant up against the wall outside, out of sight, and
unlocked. Ever seen that in the UK? No, me neither.... what a
wonderful way to live your life.

Bob
--
Mail address is spam trapped
To reply by email remove the beverage
Old August 17th 03, 03:24 AM
Andrew Chadwick

Everyone else here is going to suggest the Cyclecraft book as a good
start, so I won't repeat what they say. They're right though.

On 17 Aug 2003 04:43:58 +0950, dannyfrankszzz
wrote:

[...] the fear element.

Might be overcome by gaining an understanding of the different causes of
collision between cars and cyclists, and the relative likelihood of each
type of accident. Helped for me, at least. Surprisingly perhaps, the
major cause isn't being hit from behind in normal, flowing traffic. Does
anyone have a good link for this?

I know this is negative thinking but it does cause me to be ultra
cautious and defensive when I ride. Accident avoidance is far more
important than being in the right but tasting tarmac. Normally, when
I ride I try to hug the kerb as much as possible

This isn't necessarily the right thing to do at all times - it
encourages silly overtaking from behind, and doesn't leave enough of a
safety margin for you to move into if you need to take evasive action.
Not to mention the fact that the gutters are full of glass, road
chippings, potholes, gratings, dead badgers and other detritus.

That said, being hit from behind is *not* one of the most common causes
of injuries to adult cyclists.

but when there is a parked car I have to veer out and while doing so I
always turn my head to look at the driver - just to make it clear in
their mind that I'm moving out.

Darting in and out of parked cars is probably quite a bit less safe than
taking a path that any following drivers can easily predict, but you
seem to have the negotiation bit down pat. Being in the main traffic
stream and keeping away from the parked cars' doors is most definitely
the Right Thing to do in these circumstances, and if there's another
block of parked cars within a few bike lengths ahead, then you probably
want to stay where you are, even when passing the gap. It's just more
predictable.

You can get shifting a little if you feel you're holding anyone up, and
if the gap is much bigger than 10 or so bike lengths, I'll sometimes
shift into it in line with the parked cars' right-hand wheels (UK) in
order to let a few pass.

This seems to have a better effect and makes the driver slow down when
they realise that I'm aware of them.

Probably more to do with the psychological impact of direct eye contact
and your asserting yourself more than anthing to do with them being
deeply insightful into the needs of another road user. But hey, it works
and you should make use of it. Remember that car drivers aren't really
that aware of what's going on in the first place, what with their
restricted vision and hearing inside that insulated tin box of theirs.
Up until the point you started negotiating your way out they probably
thought you were a piece of broken glass in the gutter or a road sign or
a dead badger or something.

Seriously though, some drivers *aren't* watching out for anything
smaller than a motor car. I find that a good hard stare at traffic
emerging from side roads tends to a) get me noticed a tiny bit quicker,
and b) tells me that they're more likely to have actually noticed me
than not. You can't always rely on that though.

And as for being polite, assertive, and clear about your intentions,
nothing beats it. A smile and a wave if they're being helpful helps
spread the good vibes further.

I dream about the UK becoming like Holland and the Netherlands where
cyclists ride with no fear.

There's a little article over at
http://www.lesberries.co.uk/cycling/...on/heresy.html that mentions
the comparative safety of the two countries. It's worth a read, perhaps.

Anyway, sorry to be on a bit of a downer but I guess I just wanted to
know how everybody else deals with it.

By not letting it affect me too much if someone else does something
silly on the road, and by trying to understand what the problems and
causes that affect us as cyclists. It doesn't take much nerve really to
cycle just as assertively as necessary - if it did, I wouldn't be doing
it, natural coward that I am - and once you start, the confidence gained
starts feeding back on itself positively.

Then again, I'm in the unusual position of having started to cycle as an
adult, which may mean that I had fewer ingrained fears to start with.
Hope this is all helpful.

(And that Cyclecraft book that everyone else is probably mentioning iin
this thread right now was quite handy too)

--
Andrew Chadwick
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path
Old August 17th 03, 07:50 AM
Pete Biggs

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
I've been cycling now for about two years. I usually do about 50-100
miles a week. I really enjoy cycling and I would do a lot more if it
wasn't for the fear element.

I live in London and whenever/wherever I'm riding, it's always in the
back of my mind that it just takes one idiot to do me a serious
injury.

Most accidents can be avoided by observant and skilfull cycling. That
does leave the possibilty of freak incidents like being hit from behind
when just cycling straight along normally - but these are very rare.
Nearly always, trouble is caused by vehicles/people/things in front or to
the side of you, or you making a bad move. All this you can nearly always
prevent, avoid or mitigate because you can see what's going on and should
be able to "read" what traffic is doing and is likely to do.

I've had several small collisions which so far have not
resulted in anything serious (fingers crossed) but I begin to go down
that path of fear of "is it only a matter of time before a serious
accident does happen?" I know this is negative thinking but it does
cause me to be ultra cautious and defensive when I ride.

Defensive is good, cautious is good - up to a point but don't be too
hesitant or nervous. But being assertive is best of all - that is when
you reckon everone around has seen you or can see you, and can figure out
what you are doing.

Accident
avoidance is far more important than being in the right but tasting
tarmac.

Normally, when I ride I try to hug the kerb as much as possible

That's often really bad practice - especially in London where you've got a
lot of side turnings and a lot of pedestrians stepping off the kerb (plus
all that broken glass in the gutter). Cycling further out gives you more
of a chance in avoiding emerging vehicles/people (and the kerb) and can
discourage or prevent vehicles behind overtaking you dangerously. In some
situations, you should actually ride bang in the middle of the lane. This
can be safe and safer.

but
when there is a parked car I have to veer out and while doing so I
always turn my head to look at the driver - just to make it clear in
their mind that I'm moving out. This seems to have a better effect
and makes the driver slow down when they realise that I'm aware of
them.

I agree - but do it very early so you've lots of time and room to
manourvre in advance. And it's often safer to stay out there rather than
ducking back in when there's a gap between the parked cars.

I dream about the UK becoming like Holland and the Netherlands where
cyclists ride with no fear.

I would miss riding on proper roads at decent speed.

Anyway, sorry to be on a bit of a downer but I guess I just wanted to
know how everybody else deals with it.

I deal with it by enjoying it and continually getting better at it.

~PB, London

Old August 17th 03, 08:40 AM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

Like the men say, read Cyclecraft and the Highway Code, and remember that
you can ride as far out as you judge consistent with your safety.

Hey! The woman said it too!

Cheers, helen s ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*o l*$*.*$$c$om*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old August 17th 03, 11:24 AM
Trevor Woodmore

Welcome to paradise ;-) Well, Dutch traffic can be a bit busy from time
to time, but car drivers are actually used to cyclists going in every
conceivable direction. In all, "only" 1.150 people are killed in Dutch
traffic each year - and this is taking all road users into account.

The total number killed does not take into account the population or the
number of journeys etc. The latest European Union Road Federation
statistics for the year 2000
(http://erf-stage.forumone.com/conten...al/detail/2360) show very
similar rates number of road fatalities per 1000 population for the
Netherlands and the United Kingdom - in fact UK is slightly less.

However, deaths per Km ridden are alleged to be approximately twice as great
in the UK than in the Netherlands - although I've not managed to find any
convincing stats on the Internet that relate to this.

Trevor.

Old August 17th 03, 03:07 PM
Jeremy Parker

I live in London

Do you know about the free bike maps that Transport for London put out?
Get them from libraries, tube stations etc. or by phoning 020-7222-1234
(the tube map number). As well as official routes the maps also show
the unofficial good quiet streets recommended by local cyclists.

The final arbiter of what makes a good route was one Martin Whitfield,
owner of Cycle City Guides. He apparently rode each and every route to
see whether the route was good enough. Wow. There are a lot of streets
in London His judgement seems pretty good. If an official bike route
seems to be mysteriously left off the map, that is probably because he
disapproved of it, and didn't want you to be lured on to it. His
judgement was final, to the distress of a few of London's Cycling
Officers.

Jeremy Parker
Old August 17th 03, 04:50 PM
Adrian Boliston

"dannyfrankszzz" wrote in message

Normally, when I ride I try to hug the kerb as much as possible but when
there is a parked car I have to veer out and while doing so I always
turn my head to look at the driver....

Never "veer" anywhere when on the bike! If I see a parked car I will be
starting to gradually move out 200 - 300 yards before the parked car
depending on the type of road, so when I get to the car there will be no
need to "negotiate" road space as I will already be in the correct position
to pass.