The dream is back

Old September 23rd 04, 12:48 PM
Lars S. Mulford

"Edward Dolan" wrote
"Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent"

Howdy Ed and others:

You're wrong on the above comment. Not only do I have two children who are
active bent riders, but they are girls. The love their bikes and get a real
kick out of whupping up on the young lads in our neighborhood who try to
keep up with them. At least where I'm from here in lower Delaware,
recumbent bikes are on a popular upswing and now when I ride every day, I
see at least another one every time out. For an area as rural as this, I
think that's terrific.

In direct contrast to the comment you made above, there are significant
numbers of young ones who are riding in our area. Perhaps it is an issue of
demographics or the like, but they're popular here, both with young and old
alike.

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford

Old September 23rd 04, 01:12 PM
john riley

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message ...
... For God's sakes, someone start saying something
interesting or else I will truly start trolling this group.

START?

... I have never
understood why we can't have disagreement about something without getting
into invective. ...

And yet you seem to understand afterall:

I must confess that I
occasionally (!?) lose all patience with some and go berserk myself, but I always
try to provide some content for the discussion to revolve around despite the
name calling.

Since when?

Just pure name calling is too infantile for words.

Doesn't seem to stop you.

I would agree that most here on ARBR are quite nice, but it only takes a few
rotten apples to spoil the barrel.

I guess you should know. You are the rottenest I've seen here, and
I've been looking in for a long time.

If you really had the taste for trash talk you claim to have, you
would have left here for monkey island a long time ago. People come
here to actually discuss recumbents, not have pie fights, but you take
advantage and throw pies anyway.
Old September 23rd 04, 01:51 PM
Peter Clinch

Edward Dolan wrote:

Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent.

You've clearly been studying the cover of the latest issue of VeloVision
/really/ closely then...
http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/...l?storynum=638

At a recent meeting of uk.rec.cycling posters in Edinburgh, one of the
participants was a young girl who took /enormous/ delight in trying out
the Windcheetahs present. On return home she announced to her mum that
daddy had said he get her a KMX recumbent trike, even though that was
news to daddy. I don't think she was contemplating dying before riding
it...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old September 23rd 04, 05:01 PM
Edward Dolan

"Lars S. Mulford" wrote in message
[...]

Lars, I have known of exactly two kids hereabouts over a period of 25 years
who got recumbents as they thought it would be a good idea at the time.
However, they did not keep them long as the rest of the kids made life
fairly miserable for them no doubt. Kids are the most peer oriented group in
the universe and they want to do what all the other kids are doing all the
time. Until the bike culture of the kids change, I do not ever foresee any
kids or other young folks taking to recumbents. It is only us older folks
who can go against the grain.

Nevertheless, it is good to hear of occasional exceptions. On my tours, I
too have noted that it is more often a girl rather than a boy who is mostly
likely to have a recumbent. In every instance that I have investigated, it
was always a family influenced thing. Usually the father was into
recumbents, and the wife and kids followed. It is extremely rare to ever see
a young person on a recumbent.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old September 23rd 04, 05:24 PM
Edward Dolan

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

Young folks wouldn't be caught dead on a recumbent.

You've clearly been studying the cover of the latest issue of VeloVision
/really/ closely then...
http://www.velovision.co.uk/cgi-bin/...l?storynum=638

It is most likely the soap box racing car thing where the father is the one
doing all the work and doing all the influencing. However, if kids are
riding recumbents around on their own for reasons other than racing, then
perhaps things are starting to change.

At a recent meeting of uk.rec.cycling posters in Edinburgh, one of the
participants was a young girl who took /enormous/ delight in trying out
the Windcheetahs present. On return home she announced to her mum that
daddy had said he get her a KMX recumbent trike, even though that was news
to daddy. I don't think she was contemplating dying before riding it...

Kids are notorious for their flash in the pan inspirations. But it is only
the long haul that interests me. I do not see kids riding recumbents. Racing
events don't count.

We have a little town (almost a ghost town) here in SW Minnesota named
Dundee. I think this area of the state was originally settled by the English
and the Scotch, but they now constitute a very small minority. But the old
place names remain. If you could see Dundee, Minnesota and compare it to
Dundee, Scotland, you would not see the slightest resemblance. We would have
a good laugh together about it.

My town of Worthington is named after Worthington, Ohio, which in turn is
named after Worthington, England. I believe Worthington is a fine old
English place name. We also have a main drag here that is named Oxford
Street.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old September 23rd 04, 06:28 PM
harv

"James S. Prine" wrote in message
At least my topic thread, "Ed
Dolan on women", engendered a little lively discussion - even if 50% of
the
contributors were nothing less than total idiots.

Well, it is hard to find *total* idiots, one must endeavor to smoke them
out
with ever more cunning methods.

Actually, I agree with you on the recent content here...about as
invigorating
as watching 'raindrops' slide down the windows of one's home.

When one is accidently locked *outside* said home and it's 12 degrees F,
of
course....

James S. Prine
http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/

At 12°F I'd expect ice, sleet, snow, but not rain.

Old September 23rd 04, 06:29 PM
Edward Dolan

"john riley" wrote in message
m...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
... For God's sakes, someone start saying something
interesting or else I will truly start trolling this group.

START?

I have list of a thousand and one outrageous things I can say if I wanted
to.

... I have never
understood why we can't have disagreement about something without getting
into invective. ...

And yet you seem to understand afterall:

I must confess that I
occasionally (!?) lose all patience with some and go berserk myself, but
I always
try to provide some content for the discussion to revolve around despite
the
name calling.

Since when?

Others always begin the name calling and then I polish them off. And I
always do provide content, but the name calling takes precedence with most
here.

Just pure name calling is too infantile for words.

Doesn't seem to stop you.

Fire must always be fought with fire. Being a gentleman with a foul mouth
idiot is a waste of time and effort.

I would agree that most here on ARBR are quite nice, but it only takes a
few
rotten apples to spoil the barrel.

I guess you should know. You are the rottenest I've seen here, and
I've been looking in for a long time.

Many thanks for the wonderful compliment. You have just made my day. Keep
reading me at all costs as I have yet new depths to plumb when confronting
the typical ARBR idiot. There are also a few intelligent souls here on ARBR
but they seem to avoid me for the most part. I am always getting stuck with
all the idiots. Well, it is unpleasant work, but someone has got to do it.

If you really had the taste for trash talk you claim to have, you
would have left here for monkey island a long time ago. People come
here to actually discuss recumbents, not have pie fights, but you take
advantage and throw pies anyway.

I always carefully tailor my responses to whoever and whatever is being
said. I have resolved from the get-go not to let idiots always have the last
word, which they usually do because those of us who are gentlemen will not
stoop that low. But I have decided to stoop as low as is necessary to deal
with idiots and scumbags of which there are many here on ARBR. I do not
include you in that category (yet), but I have made note of your
disgruntlement with me. If others talk trashy to me, then I return it with
interest.

Why many people are here on ARBR is quite a mystery to me. Apparently, if a
newsgroup exists, people will come regardless if they have anything to say
or not.

I am proud of my modest contributions to ARBR. If it weren't for me, the
group would have died and gone to hell long ago. After all, there is only so
much to say about recumbents without endlessly repeating ourselves.

Surely there are other less contentious groups where you would feel more at
home. Maybe BROL would suit you better. I understand they are heavily into
namby-pambyness and do not allow characters like me to darken their door.
That suits me to a T as I cannot imagine someone like Mr. Ball, the
moderator of the group, passing judgment on my posts. That would be like an
idiot trying to judge a genius. How ridiculous can you get!

By the way, now that I have spiced up this thread, dubiously entitled "The
dream is back", I really am feeling good once again. Keep those posts coming
folks because now MY dream is back truly. The only sin in posting to a
newsgroup is to be boring. I don't think anyone here can ever accuse me of
that.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan (known far and wide as the rottenest apple in the barrel) -
Minnesota

Old September 23rd 04, 08:30 PM
James S. Prine

Okay, Ed. I'm with you. Bring on the firearms.

Funny you should mention that. I installed a very sturdy shotgun rack on my
EZ-1 SC and keep it 'filled' with a Mossberg 12-gauge riot gun.

Drivers tend to give me *plenty* of room on the street, but I'm not certain if
it is the shotgun or the rear-facing 20mm cannon on the B.O.B.....

LOL

James S. Prine
http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/

switching back from a touring derailleur to road... Sheldon Brown Techniques 3 July 21st 04 02:52 PM
RR: There and Back. Shaun Rimmer Mountain Biking 32 February 21st 04 08:38 PM
exercises for back Matthew General 6 December 15th 03 09:55 PM
Lower back exercises for out of the saddle road climbing Doug Racing 12 October 12th 03 05:09 PM
Lower back pains Jiyang Chen General 7 July 28th 03 01:10 PM