Stretching and other exercises to strengthen and optimize position on the bike

Old August 26th 05, 08:55 PM
Chris M

Default Stretching and other exercises to strengthen and optimize position on the bike

I have kept all of my cycling publications since 1983 and I have a
Velo-snooze print edition from 1999 BL (before Lance won the Tour). The
cover shows the future golden boy leading the Boogie man to victory in
the Amstel Gold.

There is a pretty decent article on exercises designed to help optimize
TT positions on the bike. I have a disc \ nerve problem that has caused
all kinds of life changing problems but since I need lots of aerobic
exercise to keep me out of a wheel chair, I am on the bike some times
when I can't even walk or stand without assistance. Since my position
has been polished over the decades, I have MD approval to continue as
much as I can tolerate.

There are periods where I can get pretty fit before a setback (huge
increase in level and duration of peak pain) forces me to back off on
torque (IOW I am have to keep cadence up and ride at submax levels,
mostly in the saddle). Fortunately this year the weather and other
factors have allowed me to find improvements in biking (but not pain).
About 12 weeks ago I started to do some of my stretching in a warm pool
(90s F) and I gradually added other movements that have helped me to
stay stable and lay down some decent power without causing a bad
reaction on my spine. Yesterday was the best in a long time when I was
able to go up a section of 10 % grade for a few minutes (it settles
down to 5 - 6 % after that) and I just did a little stretching after I
went back down (I do anyway every 15 to 30 minutes).

Now I am convinced this is the path for me to pursue if I want to be
able to get back to the levels I was able to before things got out of
hand. The thing is that I have not seen any really good comprehensive
resources for putting together a rehab plan for the back factoring in
bike position. There are plenty of health oriented articles on the web
that I just ok for getting started but I need some more advanced stuff
to build on what I have done so far. Who knows, maybe it will start to
pay off when I am off the bike too because I also noticed that I can
bend forward just a little bit more than I have been able to in a few
years.

Where can I find good intermediate to advanced back exercises,
preferably for athletes and or cyclists?

Old August 26th 05, 10:30 PM

Try Pilates, not just any Pilates but an exercise therapist trained in
the techniques and exercises behind the brand. There are two types in
the marketplace.

Old August 27th 05, 12:17 AM
Chris M

You are the second person (the first cyclist) to say that. Do you have
any experience with it? I guess I will start to read up to learn more
about it. Good idea, thanks.

Old August 27th 05, 08:51 AM
Michael Press

In article
.com,
"Chris M" wrote:

[...]

I never suffered chronic back problems, nor am I certified
to treat ailments. I have suffered acute lower back pain
and weakness that hindered movement and strength.
Eventually I discovered something to do, and that weak
abdominal muscles contributed to the attacks.

I would do the following, but would not do anything that
caused pain.
Lie subine on the floor.
Relax and breath.
Allow the small of the back to sink.
Draw one leg up.
Hold the knee with both hands.
Slowly pull the knee toward the chest, and hold it while
feeling the muscles stretch.
Move the leg to the floor.
Repeat with the other leg.
25 repetitions.