REar Shifters and folding bikes

Old April 15th 15, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default REar Shifters and folding bikes

A friend has a Dahon folding bike which has a 6 speed rear sprocket
setup. He is wondering what he could do if either the shifter or the
rear sprocket were to wear out as he reckons that the 6 speed setup
might not be readily available.

Would the 6 speed be a free wheel or a cassette?
Can a 6 speed be replaced with a 7 speed, or more, shifter and
cassette/free wheel, without radical modification?

I gather, from looking at adverts and "tests" that the 7 speed Dahon
has a cassette and I believe that the 6 and 7 speed "cog set" are the
same width so is it likely that if he can't replace the 6 speed bits
that a conversion would be relatively easy? New cassette, shifter and
maybe derailer?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old April 15th 15, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 11:05:13 PM UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
A friend has a Dahon folding bike which has a 6 speed rear sprocket
setup. He is wondering what he could do if either the shifter or the
rear sprocket were to wear out as he reckons that the 6 speed setup
might not be readily available.

Would the 6 speed be a free wheel or a cassette?
Can a 6 speed be replaced with a 7 speed, or more, shifter and
cassette/free wheel, without radical modification?

I gather, from looking at adverts and "tests" that the 7 speed Dahon
has a cassette and I believe that the 6 and 7 speed "cog set" are the
same width so is it likely that if he can't replace the 6 speed bits
that a conversion would be relatively easy? New cassette, shifter and
maybe derailer?
--
Cheers,

John B.

If it's a Shimano Uniglide cassette then it's very likely that the last cog is a screw on one unless the hub is one of the transitional ones that would take either a Uniglide or Hyperglide cassette.

Cheers
Old April 15th 15, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 20:16:34 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

May Be. I had a look at the Dahon site and they showed a picture of
what they said was a seven speed cassette and it looked just like my 9
and 10 speed cassettes with the separate screw in cap. They make a 8
speed that they say uses a Hyperglide cassette but the 7 and 6 speed
don't seem to include detailed specifications.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old April 15th 15, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/14/2015 10:05 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

A friend has a Dahon folding bike which has a 6 speed rear sprocket
setup. He is wondering what he could do if either the shifter or the
rear sprocket were to wear out as he reckons that the 6 speed setup
might not be readily available.

Would the 6 speed be a free wheel or a cassette?
Can a 6 speed be replaced with a 7 speed, or more, shifter and
cassette/free wheel, without radical modification?

I gather, from looking at adverts and "tests" that the 7 speed Dahon
has a cassette and I believe that the 6 and 7 speed "cog set" are the
same width so is it likely that if he can't replace the 6 speed bits
that a conversion would be relatively easy? New cassette, shifter and
maybe derailer?

If it's a freewheel, (likely, but check that) several
current models range from affordable down to dirt cheap. Use
a five/six chain for best shifting and longevity, also cheap.

Changers and shifters are plentiful if needed.

If it's a six cassette there is virtually no support for UG
systems and no aftermarket products at all. Once worn out,
it's a new wheel or at least a hub but wheels are
inexpensive in comparison to a rebuild.

I can't see much benefit of changing it to a seven
freewheel, but it can be done with a small axle spacing
change, re center rim, seven shifter and a seven chain. It
will have 16% more choices but won't be 16% better overall.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 15th 15, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Early (1970s through about 1986? 7?) cassette hubs/bodies
were UG format, in which the last sprocket screws on.

Current type is HG using a separate lockring. The seven
bodies are too short for 8/9/10 cassettes. The current
cassette body can run a seven with one spacer behind low
gear and that is a very common setup.

Old April 16th 15, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 07:47:20 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I'm not into folding bikes but the guy thought, for whatever reason,
that if his handlebar shifter failed that he wouldn't be able to get
another one.

The bike is, perhaps, a year old and I had told him that he shouldn't
have any problems with the shifting, other then perhaps adjustments,
for a few years.

But, from what you say, he should have no problem replacing a six
speed so I'll tell him so he can stop worrying :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old April 16th 15, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that and I'll tell him.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Folding Bikes John B.[_3_] Techniques 28 November 25th 13 01:58 AM
Folding/removable SPD-compatible pedals for folding bikes? Alan Hoyle General 1 April 25th 07 03:22 PM
Folding bikes elyob UK 7 August 7th 05 04:58 PM
Folding bikes Tom Spence General 5 March 25th 05 09:34 PM
Folding Bikes icewhain Mountain Biking 6 July 16th 04 03:14 PM