V-brake balancing screws.

Old March 28th 15, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default V-brake balancing screws.

Can I take those screws all the way out without anything going twang?

The (allegedly) universal screw heads are pretty much useless for either
flat or crosspoint screwdriver. The plan is to pull up outside the tools &
fasteners shop, whip one of the screws out to show at the counter and ask
for same everything except for what I buy to have socket cap heads.

Can I do that without the tension spring slipping out of place - or do I
have to wait till I have the pivot/spring assembly apart?

Thanks for any help.

Old March 28th 15, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 28/03/15 19:11, Ian Field wrote:
Can I take those screws all the way out without anything going twang?

Yep.

The (allegedly) universal screw heads are pretty much useless for either
flat or crosspoint screwdriver. The plan is to pull up outside the tools
& fasteners shop, whip one of the screws out to show at the counter and
ask for same everything except for what I buy to have socket cap heads.

'Swot I did. Replaced them with stainless[1] hex bolts.

Can I do that without the tension spring slipping out of place - or do I
have to wait till I have the pivot/spring assembly apart?

Thanks for any help.

[1] Yeah, yeah, go on, see my lawyer!

Old March 28th 15, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/28/2015 1:11 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Can I take those screws all the way out without anything
going twang?

The (allegedly) universal screw heads are pretty much
useless for either flat or crosspoint screwdriver. The plan
is to pull up outside the tools & fasteners shop, whip one
of the screws out to show at the counter and ask for same
everything except for what I buy to have socket cap heads.

Can I do that without the tension spring slipping out of
place - or do I have to wait till I have the pivot/spring
assembly apart?

Thanks for any help.

No reason not to. 4mm allen cap screws might be nice and
they are readily available. Nothing will break or slip with
the screws out.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 28th 15, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 3/28/2015 1:11 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Can I take those screws all the way out without anything
going twang?

The (allegedly) universal screw heads are pretty much
useless for either flat or crosspoint screwdriver. The plan
is to pull up outside the tools & fasteners shop, whip one
of the screws out to show at the counter and ask for same
everything except for what I buy to have socket cap heads.

Can I do that without the tension spring slipping out of
place - or do I have to wait till I have the pivot/spring
assembly apart?

Thanks for any help.

No reason not to. 4mm allen cap screws might be nice and they are readily
available. Nothing will break or slip with the screws out.

Hadn't even thought about what thread they are - I was just going to show
one to the shopkeeper and ask for; that thread, that long and its most
likely metric.

Chances are I've already got some, I've probably bought that size
previously - but no idea what length they were or where I put them.

Old March 28th 15, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2015 1:11 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Can I take those screws all the way out without anything
going twang?

The (allegedly) universal screw heads are pretty much
useless for either flat or crosspoint screwdriver. The plan
is to pull up outside the tools & fasteners shop, whip one
of the screws out to show at the counter and ask for same
everything except for what I buy to have socket cap heads.

Can I do that without the tension spring slipping out of
place - or do I have to wait till I have the pivot/spring
assembly apart?

Thanks for any help.

No reason not to. 4mm allen cap screws might be nice and they are readily
available. Nothing will break or slip with the screws out.

4 mm? Are you sure? Mine are ordinary M3 screws. Head style doesn't matter.

--
Lou
Old March 28th 15, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message
AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2015 1:11 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Can I take those screws all the way out without anything
going twang?

The (allegedly) universal screw heads are pretty much
useless for either flat or crosspoint screwdriver. The plan
is to pull up outside the tools & fasteners shop, whip one
of the screws out to show at the counter and ask for same
everything except for what I buy to have socket cap heads.

Can I do that without the tension spring slipping out of
place - or do I have to wait till I have the pivot/spring
assembly apart?

Thanks for any help.

No reason not to. 4mm allen cap screws might be nice and they are readily
available. Nothing will break or slip with the screws out.

4 mm? Are you sure? Mine are ordinary M3 screws. Head style doesn't
matter.

A calliper arm I had laying around, the threaded part of the screw opens the
digital calliper to 4.65mm - presumably M5 nominal.

Took a flashlight outside to look at the ones on the bike, they look
thinner - neither screw is out far enough to get the digital calliper on the
thread.

The only safe way to get it right is to take one out of the bike I'm using
to show as a sample in the shop.

Head style is *THE WHOLE POINT* of what I'm doing - the (allegedly)
universal bi-slotted head is a lousy fit to any of the tools I carry, a
socket cap screw would solve that problem.

Old March 28th 15, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

We are talking about the screw that pushes against the spring, no? M5 is
very unlikely for that screw. I measured mine on a Deore V brake. What I
meant is you can put in a srew with any head. Never understood screws with
a bi slotted head, as you call it. They also use them for the limit screws
of derailleurs. You have to be careful nit to damaged he heads because no
screwdriver fits properly.
--
Lou
Old March 28th 15, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/28/2015 3:03 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2015 1:11 PM, Ian Field wrote:
Can I take those screws all the way out without anything
going twang?

The (allegedly) universal screw heads are pretty much
useless for either flat or crosspoint screwdriver. The plan
is to pull up outside the tools & fasteners shop, whip one
of the screws out to show at the counter and ask for same
everything except for what I buy to have socket cap heads.

Can I do that without the tension spring slipping out of
place - or do I have to wait till I have the pivot/spring
assembly apart?

Thanks for any help.

No reason not to. 4mm allen cap screws might be nice and they are readily
available. Nothing will break or slip with the screws out.

4 mm? Are you sure? Mine are ordinary M3 screws. Head style doesn't matter.

Depends on the brake I suppose.
OP's idea of bringing a screw along is a good plan.
Metric at any rate.

Old March 28th 15, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Like I said - I can take the screw in the shop and have the thread matched
whatever it is.

self-balancing unicycle John Doe Unicycling 1 July 27th 11 09:44 AM
Balancing martin.phillips Unicycling 10 May 26th 06 11:08 PM
self balancing unicycle! nick Unicycling 12 April 28th 04 04:33 PM
Balancing wheels andrew Australia 13 February 27th 04 06:56 AM
Balancing logic (or something like that)... andrew_carter Unicycling 8 September 15th 03 11:15 PM