Shift lever loose on rear derailleur shift

Old April 2nd 05, 06:13 AM
Larry Gagnon

Default Shift lever loose on rear derailleur shift

I have Shimano 105 flight deck shift levers, mated to Shimano 105 rear
derailleur on a touring bike. Recently, when pushing the right hand (rear
derailleur) shift lever to the left in order to shift from a smaller to a
larger rear sprocket it often requires two pushes - the first push is very
loose and then it finally catches and increases tension.

It seems to me this might be due to a gummed up or sticky rear derailleur
cable but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced this and know a fix?

Larry Gagnon
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"
Old April 2nd 05, 01:24 PM
Arthur Harris

"Larry Gagnon" wrote:

I have Shimano 105 flight deck shift levers, mated to Shimano 105 rear
derailleur on a touring bike. Recently, when pushing the right hand (rear
derailleur) shift lever to the left in order to shift from a smaller to a
larger rear sprocket it often requires two pushes - the first push is very
loose and then it finally catches and increases tension.

It seems to me this might be due to a gummed up or sticky rear derailleur
cable but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced this and know a fix?

That doesn't sound good. The more common symptom is sluggishness when
shifting to a smaller cog. That can sometimes be helped with a WD-40 flush.

In your case, it sounds more like something isn't "catching" in the lever. I
was on a ride once when someone's lever just stopped shifting at all when he
moved the lever. We managed to get him home by using the der limit screw to
get him in a middle gear.

If you're bike/lever is less than 2-years old, you're covered under
warranty.

Art Harris

Old April 2nd 05, 02:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Larry Gagnon wrote:
I have Shimano 105 flight deck shift levers, mated to Shimano 105 rear
derailleur on a touring bike. Recently, when pushing the right hand (rear
derailleur) shift lever to the left in order to shift from a smaller to a
larger rear sprocket it often requires two pushes - the first push is very
loose and then it finally catches and increases tension.

It seems to me this might be due to a gummed up or sticky rear derailleur
cable but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced this and know a fix?

Larry Gagnon
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

After ensuring the inner wire and housing are nbot the culprit, a flush
with the STI repair kit, WD-40 followed by a spray lube may bring it
around. But if not...there are two types of STI, those that have failed
and those that will..Campagnolo ERGO and a Campag rear der will solve
your problems..no more tired and confused shifters.
Old April 5th 05, 05:42 PM
dvt

Qui si parla Campagnolo (Sat, 02 Apr 2005 09:47:21)
wrote:
But if not...
there are two types of STI, those that have failed and those that
will..

That can be said about *anything*.

Campagnolo ERGO and a Campag rear der will solve your problems..no
more tired and confused shifters.

What, Campy levers never fail?

--
Dave, who might just take Peter's advice if his old Shimano levers fail.

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Compatible shifters with SRAM X.0 rear derailleur Marc Rosenbaum Techniques 10 April 21st 04 01:59 PM
Campy front derailleur won't shift Mike Lackey Techniques 6 April 13th 04 02:05 PM
Campy Rear Derailleur Robin Hubert General 1 August 12th 03 05:45 PM
How to install shifter cable on Ultegra brake/shift lever? Kevin General 5 August 5th 03 05:37 PM