Shimano WH-R550 question

Old May 4th 05, 07:51 AM
Branimir Putnikovic

Default Shimano WH-R550 question

Hello,

I ordered Canonndale Road Warrior 800 (2005) with Shimano WH-R550
rims, hubs and spokes (16/20). Tires - Continental Top Touring 2000.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/ce/model-5HR8Y.html

What do you think about WH-R550. How often will I have to true them?
I weight 72 kg (159 lbs).

Thanks,
Branimir

Old May 4th 05, 08:30 AM
Boyle M. Owl

Branimir Putnikovic wrote:
Hello,

I ordered Canonndale Road Warrior 800 (2005) with Shimano WH-R550
rims, hubs and spokes (16/20). Tires - Continental Top Touring 2000.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/ce/model-5HR8Y.html

What do you think about WH-R550. How often will I have to true them?
I weight 72 kg (159 lbs).

Hey, I just got one of those 3 weeks ago! First thing I did was take
those tires off and swap them with the Conti Ultra Gator Skins I had on
the Marin which is now my "come ride with me" and foul weather bike.

Nice ride.

South Providence roads are iffy, at best (as are most of Rhode Island's
roads...grr..), and I haven't had to true them up yet. They're sturdy
enough.

However, I am going to make a "longhandled spoke wrench" by brazing a
block with a precision slot on the end of a screwdriver so I can true
the rear wheel without removing the cassette.

Amazing that nobody sells such a beastie.

--
BMO
Old May 4th 05, 08:50 AM
Peter

Branimir Putnikovic wrote:

Hello,

I ordered Canonndale Road Warrior 800 (2005) with Shimano WH-R550
rims, hubs and spokes (16/20). Tires - Continental Top Touring 2000.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/ce/model-5HR8Y.html

What do you think about WH-R550. How often will I have to true them?
I weight 72 kg (159 lbs).

Don't know about the wheels (personally I still like 32 or 36
conventionally-spoked wheels for non-competition bikes).
But I noticed that the text on that page says: "Our Road Warriors easily
accommodate racks and fenders." Looking at the picture the clearance
looks pretty small for fenders - will they really fit easily?

Old May 4th 05, 10:40 AM
Boyle M. Owl

Peter wrote:

Don't know about the wheels (personally I still like 32 or 36
conventionally-spoked wheels for non-competition bikes).
But I noticed that the text on that page says: "Our Road Warriors easily
accommodate racks and fenders." Looking at the picture the clearance
looks pretty small for fenders - will they really fit easily?

If you're talking about where the wheel butts up against the seat-tube,
yes, as there's a screw in the seat tube (there is no lateral brace at
the chain stays) for a fender appx 2 inches above the chain stays, and
it's far enough away from the wheel to not interfere. Indeed, I would
use a standoff to put the fender a half inch away from the seat tube.

--
BMO
Old May 5th 05, 06:31 AM
Branimir Putnikovic

"Boyle M. Owl" wrote in message
newsR_de.403$2J6.253@lakeread06...
Branimir Putnikovic wrote:
[...]

Ok, I'll see them and maybe I'll change them with 32 spokes in future .
I just like other parts of Warrior 800 and wheels are easy to change )

Thanks,
Branimir

Old May 5th 05, 06:38 AM
Branimir Putnikovic

"Boyle M. Owl" wrote in message
Peter wrote:

Don't know about the wheels (personally I still like 32 or 36
conventionally-spoked wheels for non-competition bikes).
But I noticed that the text on that page says: "Our Road Warriors easily
accommodate racks and fenders." Looking at the picture the clearance
looks pretty small for fenders - will they really fit easily?

If you're talking about where the wheel butts up against the seat-tube,
yes, as there's a screw in the seat tube (there is no lateral brace at
the chain stays) for a fender appx 2 inches above the chain stays, and
it's far enough away from the wheel to not interfere. Indeed, I would
use a standoff to put the fender a half inch away from the seat tube.

--
BMO

I'll invent something...
Thanks,
Branimir

Old May 5th 05, 06:58 AM
Peter

Boyle M. Owl wrote:

Peter wrote:

Don't know about the wheels (personally I still like 32 or 36
conventionally-spoked wheels for non-competition bikes).
But I noticed that the text on that page says: "Our Road Warriors
easily accommodate racks and fenders." Looking at the picture the
clearance looks pretty small for fenders - will they really fit easily?

If you're talking about where the wheel butts up against the seat-tube,
yes, as there's a screw in the seat tube (there is no lateral brace at
the chain stays) for a fender appx 2 inches above the chain stays, and
it's far enough away from the wheel to not interfere. Indeed, I would
use a standoff to put the fender a half inch away from the seat tube.

It was the front tire to downtube clearance that looks rather tight in
the referenced picture.