Zagster

Old December 18th 18, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Zagster

Saturday's Times-Union says that the "Bike Share" bikes were scheduled
to be picked and stored this weekend. They were still in the rack
when I last passed by, but I don't think I came that way yesterday.

Putting them away for the winter makes it definite that they are
strictly for the tourists. As if the lack of facilities for one-way
trips hadn't already made that plain. I spoke to a representative of
the folks pushing "bike share" at some event last summer, and said "We
need to have more racks than bicycles . . . " He truncated my
statement after "racks" and launched his canned speech about how we
need lots more stations, each shoe-horned absolutely full of very
expensive bikes.

I'm all for more docking stations, but if they intended this program
for transportation, they would get the bikes for the new stations by
taking one or two from each of the existing stations, leaving people
who want to ride from one station to another a place to park.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old December 18th 18, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 18:50:17 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

[...]

Does the bike share scheme actually work there? I ask as they seem to
have bike share system in Bangkok, at least I pass by a "docking
station" on the way to my LBS. But I've never seen anyone actually
riding a "share bike".

cheers,

John B.

Old December 18th 18, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_2_]

On 17/12/2018 6:50 p.m., Joy Beeson wrote:

[...]

The Bixies in Montreal just got picked up for the winter. It was
supposed to have been a pretty successful year. T

I guess with the amount of snow here the logistics of maintaining them
is an issue but there are certainly less people on bikes here once the
snow starts.
Old December 18th 18, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

In Montreal they are everywhere. The question was always whether they
made money. Even with heavy usage they had problems with that but I
think it was more mismanagement than anything else. It looks like they
are finally paying for themselves.

Old December 19th 18, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

I suspect that the reason that they aren't as popular here is that
they seem to be intended for use by tourists. Given that the traffic
in "down town" Bangkok is really chaotic and it is HOT here the
tourists are probably happier riding the air conditioned elevated
railroad and underground subway :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 19th 18, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

wrote:

Saturday's Times-Union says that the "Bike Share" bikes were scheduled
to be picked and stored this weekend. They were still in the rack
when I last passed by, but I don't think I came that way yesterday.

I passed the Winona station today. Three of the docks were empty --
the most empty docks I've taken note of. Probably about ten docks
total.

I passed the library, but forgot to check the station. (I came in
from Main street on foot, and turned away from the station to continue
on Main when I left.)

Perhaps the person who wrote the press release thought it would be
printed later than it was. Now I can't find the article. I was sure
it was on page two.

Ah, page 3A, under a headline saying that the device-tax disaster has
been postponed five more years.

---------------

BIKE PROGRAM UPDATS - The first year of the Warsaw + Winona Lake Bike
Share program has concluded. The 20 bikes used in the
Zagster.com-based community bicycle program were scheduled to be
picked up and stored this weekend.

In its first year, the program attracted 650 users, according to
information supplied by the city. Zimmer Biomet is sponsoring the
bike program, which has four stations.

---------------

Um . . . though I've never counted them, there are definitely more
than five bikes at each station. Well, the three I've seen; I haven't
been out to the industrial park. Note that it doesn't say whether 650
people signed up, or 650 rides were taken.

I did see someone on a Zagster bike last summer; I've also seen them
parked, usually near a bike-promoting booth at a festival.

Old December 19th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The Bixie project in Montreal is much larger.
This is one of the English links that I could find:
https://www.mironline.ca/a-review-of...e-in-montreal/

One thing that impresses me is that some of the areas with the highest
usage are quite hilly. Their popular with students though.
Old December 24th 18, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 23:45:50 -0500, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I passed the Winona station today. Three of the docks were empty --
the most empty docks I've taken note of. Probably about ten docks
total.

Passed again today, and the bikes had been picked up.

And then the dime dropped: the press release referred to the two
stations in Warsaw: twenty bikes.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that these are two separate towns. The
eastern shore of Eagle Lake was a long way from Warsaw when the Byer
brothers started Spring Fountain Park as a place for people from
Chicago to get out of the heat. The train stopped on the overpass to
let the Boys Club get off and walk to what is now the mountain-bike
trails, so they wouldn't have to be trucked all the way from the
Warsaw depot.

And now it's hard to tell where one town begins and the other leaves
off; the entire shore of what is now Winona Lake belongs to one town
or the other.

No telling when "today" was. Most likely Friday.