Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

Old February 13th 19, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

On 2019-02-11 15:05, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

I find that better quality tires give better feel on and to the
road. Also in winter in snow quality REALLY trumps the el cheapo
tires on many bicycles. The knobs on el cheapo tires freeze in
the deep cold and then act like skate blades with no traction at
all. I found that out 50+ years ago whilst winter commuting in
Toronto Canada.

Vee Rubber didn't exist 50 years ago. Suggest to try again.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I just ordered another pair of cheap Chinese carbon tubeless wheels.
Since I will have a set of new Continental GP5000TL's and since MUCH
to my surprise a tubeless tire actually is not as tight on a tubeless
rim as a standard clincher I am going to try and blame my other
carbon tubeless failures on the tires and not on the wheelset.

So after I get everything and assemble them and REALLY check them out
for failures I will keep everyone apprised of how things are going.
The 40 mm deep clinchers at less than half of the cost of a cheap
Fulcrum aluminum wheelset us still working really well. I really like
both the way they ride and the far more aero design that does NOTHING
to destabilize the steering in cross-winds.

Fingers crossed.

Which reminds me, I also need a new wheel set for the old road bike soon
because the rims are worn from the brakes. Again. The spokes are tired,
the hubs are also getting old and the freehub is nearly shot (again
...). To my dismay I found that Nashbar doesn't have any wheel sets
left. Looks like they are shutting down :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The lower end Fulcrum wheels are great for you type of use ProBikeKit carries the 7's and sometimes there's really good deals on the 4's. A set of 4's that I got were bombproof.
Old February 13th 19, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-02-13 12:54,
On 2019-02-11 15:05, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

[...]

Though except for the E-versions they don't have a lot of spokes, which
concerns me since I break a lot of spokes:

https://www.probikekit.com/brands/fu...search=Fulcrum

Old February 13th 19, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 13:08:09 -0800,
Joerg wrote:

Which reminds me, I also need a new wheel set for the old road
bike soon because the rims are worn from the brakes. Again. The
spokes are tired

I've heard of "Betty Davis eyes," but "Lili von Shtupp spokes" is
a new one to me.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old February 14th 19, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2019-02-13 12:54,
On 2019-02-11 15:05, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

[...]

I haven't broken a spoke in so long I can't remember the last time I did so.
Old February 17th 19, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-02-10 10:32, wrote:
On 2019-02-09 09:52,
wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road bike tire is
a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse than expensive tires.
Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I ride on good
roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a Continental 4000S(2) rear
tire and expect the same from the 5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats. I think I’ve had one flat
in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving out when I hit a pothole
hard. I ride on roads but I can’t say they’re always good roads.

Maybe Joerg is riding his road bike on single track carrying 4 gallons of
water or something...

--
duane

George does ride over gravel roads. Consequently he gets sidewall cuts.

Not much choice. Sometimes roads turn into gravel or even dirt without
the map saying so. At the most you get a sign "Pavement ends" as you get
there. Instead of turning around on I press on, just like I would in a
car. On a vehicle I expect tires not to be the princess on the pea. Some
tires are just too flimsy.

One of the Gatorskin sidewall blow-outs was on Green Valley Road from
Folsom to Cameron Park. This is paved all the way but has debris from
trucks et cetera. Luckily uphill and at low speed, didn't crash, as
there was fast rush hour traffic to the left of me. Since switching to
Asian tires ... no more sidewall blow-outs on the road bike or the MTB
and it's been years of regular riding. The MTB has to endure quite
hostile turf. A pleasant side effect was that sturdy Asian tires cost
less than half of the "name brand" ones.

Old February 17th 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-02-11 15:32, wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 4:54:06 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
On 2019-02-09 09:52,
wrote:

I learned pretty soon that paying more than $20 for a road
bike tire is a waste of money. In fact, they can be worse
than expensive tires. Similar for MTB tires.

That depends on your riding conditions and requirements. I
ride on good roads on my road bikes and get 4500 km out of a
Continental 4000S(2) rear tire and expect the same from the
5000 so price is not that important.

Lou

I get about the same mileage and very few flats. I think I’ve
had one flat in the last 10,000km and that was a tube giving
out when I hit a pothole hard. I ride on roads but I can’t say
they’re always good roads.

Maybe Joerg is riding his road bike on single track carrying 4
gallons of water or something...

1-1/2 gallons max, on hot summer days. This is required on some rides
unless you carry chlorine tablets, can stomach that taste _and_ suppress
any thoughts about what you've seen in the river during kayaking further
upstream.

-- duane

I rode 11000 km last year and had 2 or 3 flats. No way I going to
ride crappy cheap tires.

Lou

Not mention the performance or lack thereof with cheap tires.

-- duane

These Maxxi tubeless I just got feel like I'm riding on lead. But
they weren't as expensive as the rest.

If they'd still make the 1040 MTB tire, that would be great. They cost
$12 and none of their new line-up has that sort of tread. Good grip even
in mud which is important where I live. Unfortunately they didn't make
them in 29" so I could not use them on my most recent MTB.

Old February 17th 19, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2019-02-09 09:52,
wrote:

[...]

I have been far more than satisfied with the Vittoria tires. I have a set of Rubino Pro Endurance tires that I probably won't use since I'm trying to clear out most of my collection. If you'd like to try those I'll give them to you for postage or if you're in the neighborhood I can just hand them over.
Old February 17th 19, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-02-10 10:32,
On 2019-02-09 09:52,
wrote:

[...]

Same here. I was impressed with the Vittoria Zafiro tires. Got them at
around $12 a pop and they last 2k miles. As far as I know they are made
in Thailand.

... I have
a set of Rubino Pro Endurance tires that I probably won't use since
I'm trying to clear out most of my collection. If you'd like to try
those I'll give them to you for postage or if you're in the
neighborhood I can just hand them over.

Of course I am interested though I don't get to the Bay Area anymore
because of retiring and because clients being in Texas now (you and I
know why ...).

Can't you use them up on your bike? You probably ride more road bike
miles than I do and at least around here that eats rear tires as if it
was popcorn.

Old February 17th 19, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2019-02-10 10:32,
On 2019-02-09 09:52,
wrote:

[...]

Well, I can use them but in the warm weather I'll ride the Colnago which I hope to convert to tubeless. And I think that I'll exchange the Scirroco Cross wheels for a set of Campy Protons I have one on of the bikes for sale. So I will have a good set of clinchers for the steel bike if I have any more problems with Tubeless.

In any case as if this moment I have enough tires for three years.
Old February 18th 19, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-02-09 09:52,
wrote:

[...]

Wow. I "only" have enough tires for another year, assuming none blow out.

Meantime I reworked the rear a little. Big 11-40T cassette, new
derailer, hanger extender for the derailer. That allowed me to move the
rear axle backwards in the slotted drop-outs and that in turn will allow
the use of tires up to 28mm. 32mm would be nice because that opens up
the selection towards CX but 32mm is too close considering that my
wheels go out of true a lot and I occasionally pop a spoke.