A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Bicycling specific clothing = why not?

Old July 10th 19, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Bicycling specific clothing = why not?

Some here disparage everyone who dons any bicycling specific clothing. I don't get why they do that disparaging.

I wear regular clothing a lot of times if I'm going short distance and/or running errands. However for my longer rides I wear bicycling shorts and a jersey. The jersey pockets are used a lot to hold things like a spare bottle of water in t he middle pocket, my wallet in an outside pocket and often my Canon PowerShot SX120 IS camera in the right outside pocket. With those pockets everything I'd want on the ride is easily to hand and the jersey doesn't flap around like a lot of clothing does. The shorts are just plain comfortable on long rides and the chamois is a real blessing to have.

If a person chooses NOT to wear bicycling specific clothing then that's their choice but they shouldn't disparage those who do wear bicycling specific clothing.

Some say that many bicyclists who wear Lycra and/or bicycling jerseys are snobs. Well, some who DON'T wear bicycling specific clothing are just as snobbish in their own way as they t ake verbal potshots at those who do wear Lycra.

Ride what you like and wear what you like but you shouldn't put others down just because their choices don't match yours.

Cheers
Ads
Old July 10th 19, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 11:53:10 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Some here disparage everyone who dons any bicycling specific clothing. I don't get why they do that disparaging.

I wear regular clothing a lot of times if I'm going short distance and/or running errands. However for my longer rides I wear bicycling shorts and a jersey. The jersey pockets are used a lot to hold things like a spare bottle of water in t he middle pocket, my wallet in an outside pocket and often my Canon PowerShot SX120 IS camera in the right outside pocket. With those pockets everything I'd want on the ride is easily to hand and the jersey doesn't flap around like a lot of clothing does. The shorts are just plain comfortable on long rides and the chamois is a real blessing to have.

If a person chooses NOT to wear bicycling specific clothing then that's their choice but they shouldn't disparage those who do wear bicycling specific clothing.

Some say that many bicyclists who wear Lycra and/or bicycling jerseys are snobs. Well, some who DON'T wear bicycling specific clothing are just as snobbish in their own way as they t ake verbal potshots at those who do wear Lycra.

Ride what you like and wear what you like but you shouldn't put others down just because their choices don't match yours.

Cheers

Says the man with a killfile.
Old July 10th 19, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 2:53:10 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

That goes both ways.

Some accuse me of disparaging bike clothing, which is weird, because I often
wear it and have said so many times.

As I've said dozens of times, people are free to wear what they want. And we
should be free to discuss advantages and disadvantages. But what seems weird to
me is the idea of never riding a bike without first changing clothes. And I do
know people who are that way.

I also disagree with people who claim one should never ride unless wearing a
garish jersey or jacket. It's yet another "Danger! Danger!" exaggeration.

As I've said, my general habit is for utility rides, easy rides under 10 or 15
miles, slow rides with newbie friends etc., I just wear normal clothes. For
longer rides or rides where I intend to exert myself a bit more, I'll wear bike
shorts and a cycling jersey. I know which "civilian" clothes work OK on the bike,
and I avoid those that don't.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 10th 19, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 3:01:08 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 2:53:10 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

That goes both ways.

Some accuse me of disparaging bike clothing, which is weird, because I often
wear it and have said so many times.

As I've said dozens of times, people are free to wear what they want. And we
should be free to discuss advantages and disadvantages. But what seems weird to

I also disagree with people who claim one should never ride unless wearing a
garish jersey or jacket. It's yet another "Danger! Danger!" exaggeration.

As I've said, my general habit is for utility rides, easy rides under 10 or 15
miles, slow rides with newbie friends etc., I just wear normal clothes. For
longer rides or rides where I intend to exert myself a bit more, I'll wear bike
shorts and a cycling jersey. I know which "civilian" clothes work OK on the bike,
and I avoid those that don't.

- Frank Krygowski

At what point would you paid the slightest credence to someone telling you what to wear? I mean, besides your wife?
Old July 11th 19, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 15:01:05 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

But what seems weird to

I never ride my real bike without first changing clothing.
(I've jumped onto my flatfoot in my grubbies at least twice,
but I usually put on an ankle-length dress before riding it.)

I also change clothes before walking or riding in a car.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.
I don't recall having given anyone permission to use it on a Web site.

Old July 11th 19, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster

On 11/7/19 2:54 pm, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 15:01:05 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

But what seems weird to

I never ride my real bike without first changing clothing.
(I've jumped onto my flatfoot in my grubbies at least twice,
but I usually put on an ankle-length dress before riding it.)

I also change clothes before walking or riding in a car.

I have been known to ride to the shops without getting changed in to
different clothing, but that was while I was living close to shops. It
is now a 10km ride over a few hills including 2km at 7%, just to get to
the shops. Repeat to get home.

Last time I took the bike shopping, I brought a 20kg bag of grain home
in the bike trailer, for the chickens. Of course that was doable in
everyday clothes, but it was more comfortable in cycling specific clothing.

(In most of Australia it is a legal requirement to wear a helmet. That
in itself could be said to be a change to what you're wearing.)

--
JS
Old July 11th 19, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I always wear bike specific clothes when I ride. And SPD or SPD-SL shoes to go with the pedals. I have no bikes without clipless pedals. All of my rides now are recreational rides. No utility rides. Well I guess I sometimes ride to a store for some reason but the stores are a distance so the ride becomes a longer recreational ride anyway. Many decades ago I rode my bike to elementary, junior, and high school. I wore whatever clothes I was wearing in school that day. No helmet unfortunately. Today I only, mainly, go on recreational rides and wear bike shorts and jerseys and bike shoes and helmets. And sunglasses with a mirror.
Old July 11th 19, 10:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 7:53:10 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

It makes them feel superior in the exact proportion the which they can denigrate someone else. It is the sign of a deep inferiority complex.

For the record, I cycle in what I'm wearing, which is usually khaki or cords or a tracksuit, or in a suit and tie if that is what I'm wearing (my bike has been developed to be perfectly clean, zero oil to rub off). The Lycra I like is long trousers that Lidl and Aldi (supermarkets) offer twice a year among bicycle gear of good German quality in at prices where you just give or throw it away if you get it home and it doesn't fit or you don't like it after a trial. The stuff in the "sports" shops which are basically just high priced fashion goods is always inferior to the German stuff. The long lycra pants are cool at the height of the summer. I always wear cotton on top for cycling, in summer a dress shirt with the tails hanging out, in winter longsleeved woodsman's shirts. A proper cycling jacket of a commuting style with adequate pockets is good for carrying a wallet, phone, even my smallest pochade box (a postcard-sized complete painting kit), though in fact I rarely take the pannier basket off my bike, because it is so useful to throw things into, and it also fends off the Range Rover Kamikaze.

If it is so cold that I need to wear long underwear, for long johns I like the Lycra tights sold to motorcyclists, and they've been so successful that I've recently bought some long-sleeved vests in the material as well. My doctor, a cycling pal, put me onto them. The idea is that the pressure increases the flow of blood to your legs. It works. Also, compression stockings, which are similar, are prescribed for high blood pressure, so it works for that as well. All of these benefits from just trying to extend the cycling season without getting chilled to the bone...

Andre Jute
Half-Lycra Louts Unite!
Old July 11th 19, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 1:53:10 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Cheers

I do not disparage anyone who wears bicycling clothing even if I do occasionally have the thought that they may be a "preppie". :-)

But I always wave at them.

I personally wear blue jean shorts and a long sleeve polyester shirt for the UVA protection.

Old July 11th 19, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18
external usenet poster

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 16:00:38 +1000, James wrote:

(In most of Australia it is a legal requirement to wear a helmet. That
in itself could be said to be a change to what you're wearing.)

Unless you've just been up a ladder.
Bacxkground; men over 60 feature significantly in deaths from falling off
a ladder in Australia and I consider a bicycle helment of better use than
those plastic "construction hats".