THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW (IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

Old November 23rd 20, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW (IN THE UNITED STATESOF AMERICA)

On Monday, November 23, 2020 at 2:24:12 AM UTC-8, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 22.11.2020 um 00:25 schrieb Tom Kunich:

Long ago I came to the conclusion that Darwin's theories only worked
in the small scale. DNA mutates at a known rate and from memory only
one in 14 mutations doesn't immediately kill its recipient.

DNA mutations are not at constant speed across all of the genome. In
the process of copying, there are error-correcting mechanism of varying
quality. Amongst mammals with few offspring (like apes), these
error-correcting mechanisms are a lot more fine-turned than amongst
other animals.
So a fish laying a million eggs per year also has a DNA mutation rate a
lot higher than apes, giving a mutation speed amongst fishes of several
million times compared to apes.

Therefore, human DNA is 97% identical to the Chimpansee DNA; I believe
that the path from Chimpansee to human only needed some 5 major
mutations in the brain area, something which is easily achieved within
the 2 million years available.

Due to the fact that mutation is far too slow for fine-tuning higher
animals and plants against bacteria, nature has luckily invented another
mechanism: Sexual reproduction with re-combination. Recombination has a
significantly lower "error rate" than mutation; typically 50% of the
recombined offspring is capable of living. The "recombination error" of
duplicated genes is typically not a major threat becauseit does not
change the protein-building capabilities, it only changes the
probabilities that these genes are going to be expressed.

Mutation rates on a cellular level occur on at a known rate. The effects of these mutations varies wildly with the complexity of the DNA string and the lifespan of the creature so generated. So while HIV mutates at a wildly rapid rate more complex strings at a much slower rate that can be described accurately from the complexity of the creature. Dinosaurs were not wiped out by a plague nor evolution. Man did not evolve from a mole.
Old November 23rd 20, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 08:14:46 -0800, Tom Kunich wrote:

Mutation rates on a cellular level occur on at a known rate. The effects
of these mutations varies wildly with the complexity of the DNA string
and the lifespan of the creature so generated.

Nope, you are comflating 'rate' with amount.
Given the same environment, longer lived organism can be expected to
experience more genetic mutations that a shorter lived oranism.

Then there is the factor of the environment. every one knows if you want
to find frogs with extra eyes, you search around the nuclear power
stations.

Old November 24th 20, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, November 23, 2020 at 10:30:51 PM UTC, news18 wrote:

Given the same environment, longer lived organism can be expected to
experience more genetic mutations that a shorter lived oranism.

Then there is the factor of the environment. every one knows if you want
to find frogs with extra eyes, you search around the nuclear power
stations.

Are you stupid or merely ignorant? What you're preaching here is the Lamarckian Heresy of acquired characteristics being heritable. I'd explain but I need to get a few books press-ready in a hurry, so I'll leave you to Tom and Rolf's tender mercies.

Andre Jute
Can't say fairer than that, guv. Heh-heh!
Old November 24th 20, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 15:49:55 -0800, Andre Jute wrote:

On Monday, November 23, 2020 at 10:30:51 PM UTC, news18 wrote:

Given the same environment, longer lived organism can be expected to
experience more genetic mutations that a shorter lived oranism.

Then there is the factor of the environment. every one knows if you
want to find frogs with extra eyes, you search around the nuclear power
stations.

Are you stupid or merely ignorant? What you're preaching here is the
Lamarckian Heresy of acquired characteristics being heritable. I'd
explain but I need to get a few books press-ready in a hurry, so I'll
leave you to Tom and Rolf's tender mercies.

Andre Jute Can't say fairer than that, guv. Heh-heh!

Yet another WHOOSH by our resident narcissistic troll who doesn't clearly
understand science. Perhaps Mr Gibbon didn't write about the various
theories of 'evolution'.

I'm glad you've finally sold 'three books' and have to go off and print,
bind, and trim them before sending them off to 'your customers' Don't
forget to put on your 'cool main press' hat before doing the work.

Old November 24th 20, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, November 23, 2020 at 2:30:51 PM UTC-8, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 08:14:46 -0800, Tom Kunich wrote:

Mutation rates on a cellular level occur on at a known rate. The effects
of these mutations varies wildly with the complexity of the DNA string
and the lifespan of the creature so generated.

Nope, you are comflating 'rate' with amount.
Given the same environment, longer lived organism can be expected to
experience more genetic mutations that a shorter lived oranism.

Then there is the factor of the environment. every one knows if you want
to find frogs with extra eyes, you search around the nuclear power
stations.

So you can't read but post anyway. Who's surprised.
Old November 24th 20, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, November 23, 2020 at 4:01:52 PM UTC-8, news18 wrote:
[...]

Don't you have a dick to go suck?
Old November 24th 20, 11:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 24, 2020 at 5:34:33 AM UTC, wrote:
[...]

..
Don't you have a dick to go suck?

,
It's my dick the thief Peter Howard aka "news18" wants to suck. But he only thinks, from the depths of his disappointed desire "to live the writer lifestyle" (as another wannabe told me), that he wants to be me. He doesn't have what it takes: the talent, the sensitivity to the language, the empathy with people, the education, the relentless drive for perfection, never mind that he won't last the months and years of 14-hour days chained to a keyboard. He wants the applause without the pain. But the most damning fact in the scale against him is that he lacks the imagination to grasp that it doesn't work without the work.

Andre Jute
The universe has a secret: There is no such thing as a free lunch. Everyone gets his just desserts.
Old November 24th 20, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

.
Don't you have a dick to go suck?

,
It's my dick the thief Peter Howard aka "news18" wants to suck. But he only thinks, from the depths of his disappointed desire "to live the writer lifestyle" (as another wannabe told me), that he wants to be me. He doesn't have what it takes: the talent, the sensitivity to the language, the empathy with people, the education, the relentless drive for perfection, never mind that he won't last the months and years of 14-hour days chained to a keyboard. He wants the applause without the pain. But the most damning fact in the scale against him is that he lacks the imagination to grasp that it doesn't work without the work.

Andre Jute
The universe has a secret: There is no such thing as a free lunch. Everyone gets his just desserts.

Well, in any case you can certainly tell that he hasn't the brains to write a complete sentence unless he is attacking someone. He seems a freak of nature but this groups attracted a surprising number of them. Why would you suppose Frank would be on this group? Or John who couldn't operate a quick release?