Getting carried away carrying a laptop to and from work.

Old July 4th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Getting carried away carrying a laptop to and from work.

My company finaly got around to issuing me a laptop.
So now I have the issue of what to do with the thing when I commute by
bicycle to and from work. Commuting 23 miles one way makes it an interesting
challenge.
Since I live in Texas where we get nice days with no winds or 20mph winds,
100 degree F temperatures, and wonderful 40 to 70% humidity too, it does
make for a challenge.
So this weekend I came up with this rather crude but simple laptop carrier
for my commuter bike.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...al&media=image
I had some scrap aluminum left over from other projects so I fabricated this
carrier mount for my company's laptop and case.
The carrier is basically clamped onto the three support rods on the rear
bike rack That has the advantage of keeping the weight down low, where the
bike will handle better.
A couple of bungie cords is all it takes to hold the laptop onto the carrier
and bike.
Yes I did get carried away with the 1/4"x20 screws, but the 23 mile commute
seems to vibrate things off every now and then, so having a lot of extras
didn't seem like a bad idea at the time. There is a 12" chunk of 1.5"
aluminum angle stock, a 3/8" thick aluminum bar which is drilled and tapped
for 1/4"x20 screws to match up with the rear rack support bars.
The flat plate is a .090" thick hard stiff aluminum sheet stock about 12"
long by 6 inches wide. The outer aluminum plate is a scrap piece, I think
it's .060" thick, I sinply clamped it in a big vise and bent it over using a
big brass hammer.

Some past issues I had with laptops before, was if I use a backpack, which
works fairly good in the winter, but sucks big time in the summer as your
back gets absolutely drenched in sweat, etc. My commute is to the east in
the morning and to the west in the afternoon, so I am always facing the sun,
so a backpack doesn't do anything to shading the back from the sun. A
backpack quickly becomes a nuisance on my long commutes. I would much rather
carry everything on the commuter bike instead.

Then I have had problems with the handles pulling out or off of the bags in
the past. When I looked closer I see that the handles are typically cheaply
riveted on and only a thin rivet edge is holding the handle on. Other bags
had crummy D rings on the handles that spread apart easily causing the
handle to come off. The shoulder straps are typically made with plastic
clips that seem to break off when you really don't want them to, like when
you have to walk a mile at the aiport terminal or something. So there you
are with a broken shoulder strap and a broken handle trying to rush over to
make your flight on time. But in the past I used to drill out the rivets and
put in screws with nuts and washers to hold on the handles better, and use a
simple flate aluminum or steel sheet across the top of the rear rack and
simply hang the laptop off the side by the handle. Then a simple bungie cord
would keep the laptop from flopping around too much.

I have tried carrying a laptop on top of the rack, and that works Ok too,
but the weight up high like that is very noticeable on how the bike handles,
so I didn't like that method too much.
I did try a messenger bag, and the laptop's weight really starts to
aggravate you in short order with the messenger bag wanting to slide down to
the front and interfere with your pedaling. maybe with a more upright riding
position on a hybrid bike, a messenger bag might be more suitable. On my
commuter bike I an leaning forward too much for a messenger bag.

So thus this new laptop carrier method popped up into my little brain, so
I'll see how it goes for the next week or so. :-)
My son took some photos of me pedaling around at low speed, while I was
checking out how it handled, and I don't see any problems so far.
Since I am a fat old guy, the laptop's weight doesn't cause me to tilt to
one side like some people might think.
I still need to get some rubber trim strips to glue along the forward edges
of the aluminum for when I forget about the carrier I don't damage my ankles
too much.
Also one needs to carry along a garbage bag to put the case in if it looks
like it is going to rain.

Anyway I thought this might give some other people some ideas too.

Old July 4th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Earl Bollinger" wrote in
:

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...Bike%20Windsor
%20Tourist/Laptop%20Carrier/?sc=1&multi=4&addtype=local&media=image

I carry my laptop in a laptop sleeve inside a pannier.
I have about 1.5 inches of closed cell foam in the edge of the sleeve
that sits in the bottom of the pannier so when I set the pannier down I
do not ding up my laptop.

I have a docking station at work so all I need to carry is my laptop.

The other pannier holds my change of clothes and shoes so the load is
more balanced.

The other things, lunch, rainjacket, spare tube, phone, wallet, reflective
vest, etc... are disributed between the two panniers to maintain
balance.

The only problem I have experienced is that the panniers make a nice
sail in a crosswind making it a bit harder to ride a straight line.

Rich B.

Old July 5th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 12:59:28 -0500, "Earl Bollinger"
wrote:

My company finaly got around to issuing me a laptop.
So now I have the issue of what to do with the thing when I commute by
bicycle to and from work. Commuting 23 miles one way makes it an interesting
challenge.

I've gone for the low-tech (or is that really high-tech?) solution --
a USB drive. $50, 512 Mb, weighs 127% of nothing, carries more than I
care to work on to my home computer and back to work.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old July 5th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

leave your laptop at work. This way 50 mln passwords won't get stolen
with it.

Old July 5th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote in message
oups.com...
leave your laptop at work. This way 50 mln passwords won't get stolen
with it.

There was a benefit to using a desktop PC in that I could just leave it
there. For some odd reason the thieves do not target the desktop PC's.
Fortunately, the laptop is seriously encrypted, and company policy is that
you do not keep any data on it anyway, neither on the desktop PC's either.
My company is pretty forward thinking in that they were doing this security
thing for quite a few years now.
A few weeks ago we had a business trip and while out of town, they had a
typical crises with some apps at work, and I couldn't do anything about it
until I got back to the office. So they decided to rectify that situation
for future crises of course.
But then that also leaves me in a quandary as before now I didn't need to
lock anything up in my office. When we last did some office moves and I
inherited my current office, there were no keys to any of the cabinets in my
office. So now I get to see if that situation can be rectified.

Old July 5th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

news
wrote:

My company finaly got around to issuing me a laptop.
So now I have the issue of what to do with the thing when I commute by
bicycle to and from work. Commuting 23 miles one way makes it an
interesting
challenge.

I've gone for the low-tech (or is that really high-tech?) solution --
a USB drive. $50, 512 Mb, weighs 127% of nothing, carries more than I
care to work on to my home computer and back to work.

Pat

Email address works as is.

We use remote login to our company network, but the security to get in is
really tight, it only works on the laptop.

Old July 5th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

My company finaly got around to issuing me a laptop.
So now I have the issue of what to do with the thing when I commute by
bicycle to and from work. Commuting 23 miles one way makes it an
interesting
challenge.

I've gone for the low-tech (or is that really high-tech?) solution --
a USB drive. $50, 512 Mb, weighs 127% of nothing, carries more than I
care to work on to my home computer and back to work.

Pat

Email address works as is.

We use a remote logjn system, unfortunately it only works on the laptop, as
the security is really tight.
So I am stuck with it if there is an emergency i need to handle on the off
hours.

Old July 5th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Richard B" wrote in message
. 3.50...
"Earl Bollinger" wrote in
:

[...]

I used to have it down to a fine art.
I staged most everything at work, so I only needed a minimal amount of stuff
to carry along with me.
It used to be that I only needed to carry my lunch on the rear rack.
Sigh...

Old July 5th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I love your bikes too, I have a Roadster that I use for going out for lunch
too
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...nch =imgAnch2

ups.com...