"Now it's speed bumps for cyclists"

Old September 25th 09, 06:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default "Now it's speed bumps for cyclists"

And here was I thinking that ordinary speed bumps also slowed down
cyclists and of course they are particularly difficult for disabled
cyclists. Also I don't agree with the statement below. A hefty 4x4 on
the school run is quite capable of tackling a speed bump at more than
30mph outside a school.

"It is generally agreed that speed bumps are an effective way of
slowing down speeding motorists and improving road safety.

But now one council has introduced the bumps in a bid to stop speeding
cyclists rampaging down one road.

In the exclusive area of Canonbury, in London's Islingston, they have
laid 14 bumps on the no-car backstreet after a catalogue of complaints
about cyclists careering down the road..."

Read mo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0S5ktH6UC

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old September 25th 09, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In article ,
Doug wrote:
And here was I thinking that ordinary speed bumps also slowed down
cyclists and of course they are particularly difficult for disabled
cyclists. Also I don't agree with the statement below. A hefty 4x4 on
the school run is quite capable of tackling a speed bump at more than
30mph outside a school.

4x4, nuts! There's no problem in almost any modern car, at least
up to 40 MPH and probably beyond. Except for the speed bumps that
some cars can't handle at any speed.

The reason that they do slow drivers down is that most people nowadays
are such wimps.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old September 25th 09, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nobby Anderson

Doug wrote:
But now one council has introduced the bumps in a bid to stop speeding
cyclists rampaging down one road.

Oh I don't know, I'd see it as a challenge - any competent cyclist would
see it as a bunny-hop fest :-)

Nobby
Old September 25th 09, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 22:13:34 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Doug
wrote this:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0S5ktH6UC

That particular design of bump is difficult to negotiate at any
speed on a bike, the design is all wrong. Cyclists should remove
them, they were obviously installed as a cheap and nasty "answer" to
complaints.

If the company was seriously interested in speed bumps to slowdown
cyclists then they should look at places where they have already
been installed.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old September 25th 09, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 25 Sep, 07:35, Nobby Anderson wrote:
Oh I don't know, I'd see it as a challenge - any competent cyclist would
see it as a bunny-hop fest :-)

I heard that's how Shanaze Reade started. Maybe this'll be another
boost to the future team GB squad.

But not much fun with a pushchair, zimmer-frame etc.
Old September 25th 09, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Doug" wrote in message
And here was I thinking that ordinary speed bumps also slowed down
cyclists and of course they are particularly difficult for disabled
cyclists. Also I don't agree with the statement below. A hefty 4x4 on
the school run is quite capable of tackling a speed bump at more than
30mph outside a school.

"It is generally agreed that speed bumps are an effective way of
slowing down speeding motorists and improving road safety.

We have those exact same strips on our car park approach road at work, but
there is a cut out for cyclists. I had to laugh at a Subaru Impreza WRC
going over one at walking pace when I rode over it.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old September 25th 09, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Nobby Anderson wrote:
Doug wrote:
But now one council has introduced the bumps in a bid to stop speeding
cyclists rampaging down one road.

Oh I don't know, I'd see it as a challenge - any competent cyclist would
see it as a bunny-hop fest :-)

Nobby

Or somewhere to test your full-sus jump bike before hitting the hills.
I've tried some that would glide over that lot like Nick's modern cars do.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 25th 09, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

wrote this:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0S5ktH6UC

That particular design of bump is difficult to negotiate at any
speed on a bike, the design is all wrong. Cyclists should remove
them, they were obviously installed as a cheap and nasty "answer" to
complaints.

If the company was seriously interested in speed bumps to slowdown
cyclists then they should look at places where they have already
been installed.

To slow down cyclists they just need to look at Sustrans routes.
Got a pannier? - tough, unable to lift your bike? - tough.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 25th 09, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 00:53:54 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be POHB
wrote this:-

But not much fun with a pushchair, zimmer-frame etc.

Someone should ask the company how the installation complies with
the DDA. The "standard disabled person" is usually considered to be
someone in a wheelchair and going over those bumps in one would not
be the easiest of things.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old September 25th 09, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

wrote this:-

But not much fun with a pushchair, zimmer-frame etc.

Someone should ask the company how the installation complies with
the DDA. The "standard disabled person" is usually considered to be
someone in a wheelchair and going over those bumps in one would not
be the easiest of things.

I work in the care sector, wheelchairs tend to not to be great over
bumps, and not all have large wheels quite a few have small solid rubber
wheels. to which a road like that would become if not impassable
certinaly a issue.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com