Where is the quick release on my brakes?

Old September 14th 03, 09:07 PM
David Kerber

Default Where is the quick release on my brakes?

I have a Fuji Touring 2003 model, and need to remove the wheels, but
can't figure out how to get enough slack in the brakes to do this.
Where is the QR for the brakes? They are Tiagra STI's with Avid Shorty
Canti brakes. I can't quite get enough slack to pull out the crossover
cable from its anchor point on one of the brake shoes, and there doesn't
seem to be anything in the brake levers where I'm used to seeing it.

Any suggestions?

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old September 14th 03, 11:09 PM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:07:32 -0400,
, David Kerber
wrote:

Any suggestions?

Won't the wheel, after releasing the axle QR, move sufficiently high
so the brake shoes close under the rim? Then you'd get enough slack in
the x-over wire. You might have to deflate the tire though.
--
zk
Old September 15th 03, 02:25 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:09:34 +0000, Zoot Katz wrote:

Won't the wheel, after releasing the axle QR, move sufficiently high so
the brake shoes close under the rim?

It certainly better not.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 15th 03, 06:09 AM
salmoneous

Am I reading this thread correctly? Does somebody really sell a setup
that doesn't allow a quick and brainless wheel removal?
Old September 15th 03, 11:42 AM
Steve McDonald

Lots of bikes nowadays have no brake-cable release mechanism. It's
either remove or rotate a brakepad or deflate the tire, to pull out or
reinstall a wheel, past the brakes. It's an annoyance, but necessary.
With my thorn-resistant tubes, I have so few flats, that it's not even
in the top 100 of my bicycle complaints.

Steve McDonald

Old September 15th 03, 02:50 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:01:48 +0000, David Kerber wrote:

I doubt that has anything to do with it; my Fuji Touring definitely does
not have short chainstays or a radical seat tube angle. It's just the
neither the brakes nor the levers have a QR on them.

My old center-pulls had Q/R's on the cable hanger. If those are still
available it would solve the problem.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand
_`\(,_ | mathematics.
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 15th 03, 08:58 PM
John Everett

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:07:32 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:

I have a Fuji Touring 2003 model, and need to remove the wheels, but
can't figure out how to get enough slack in the brakes to do this.
Where is the QR for the brakes? They are Tiagra STI's with Avid Shorty
Canti brakes. I can't quite get enough slack to pull out the crossover
cable from its anchor point on one of the brake shoes, and there doesn't
seem to be anything in the brake levers where I'm used to seeing it.

Any suggestions?

Having just read the entire thread (at least as much as has reached my
ISP's news server), it looks like Sheldon is right; adjusting cantis
is becoming a lost art.

My Fuji Touring Series has Shimano STX canti's, but web pictures of
the Avid Shorties look pretty similar. I'd lengthen the effective
transverse cable by releasing the cable anchor bolt and pulling the
cable back a couple of millimeters. You might then have to move the
pads in a bit, but the change in geometry should allow you to easily
pop off the release cable.

When adjusting my cantis the last check is to make sure I can release
the cable. If not, out with the allen wrenches again.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old September 15th 03, 09:26 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

If I were setting it up myself, that's what I'd to as well. However,
this is a new bike (I picked it up two weeks ago today) and I haven't
adjusted anything but the fit on it yet. I'm just swapping the
700x32c tires for 700x25's to get a little lower rolling resistance
for my daily riding and an upcoming race.

Better brakes Arpit General 1 September 1st 03 11:21 AM
Thoughts on braking John Appleby General 76 August 11th 03 10:30 AM