Nundah Criterium Today My First Race

Old August 6th 05, 12:42 PM
ALG

Default Nundah Criterium Today My First Race

I've been thinking about doing my first race for the past 6 months or so,
anyway today I did it at the Nundah track in Brisbane.
Anyway the handicapper put me in Cat3, even after I told him that I have no
racing experience at all.
Now I thought I wasn;'t too bad a rider, and fairly fit, but boy was I
wrong.

I started at the back of the pack due to been a bit nervous of been stuck in
the middle of the bunch, and with no experience at racing at all, I thought
it was the best place to be.

Anyway we got underway, and it looked like fun, and I stayed with the pack
for 2 laps or so, still at the rear.

At about lap 3 the pace picked up dramatically, and I started to fall
behind, I tried to catchup, but no way man.
I was doing around 32 k's an hour, and hitting that headwind down the main
straight on my very own didn't help me at all.

Anyway, the pack really got away, I said to myself wow, this is harder than
I thought, by about lap 6, I was entering the home straight, and the pack
was exiting it, maybe 700 metres away in the wild blue yonda.

I said, hey these guys and gals are going to lap me, and yep, after 15
minutes, I was lapped, and if that wasn't bad enough, Cat 4 riders caught
me, but I kept up with them for a lap or 2, and passed one or 2 of them,
then suddenly down the back of track through the S bends was a nasty stack,
looked like about 6 riders in Cat3 were taken out, and some looked pretty
badly injured.

Anyhow, this was becoming quite humiliating for me, and to go down the home
straight on my own, past the biggish crowd at the start finish line, was a
nightmare.

I felt like going straight ahead off the track, and hiding at Toombul
shoppingtown until dark, as to not show myself to the crowd.
But I kept it up, and yes was lapped a second time at 30 minutes, anyway, I
was praying for that final 10 minutes to come fast, and I must say it felt
like another hour.

Anyway finally I heard that bell ring, ahhhhh I was happy to hear that
sound.

This was really tough I must say, not to mention embarrassing.

My bike computer showed 24.2 ks Distance, time was 45.40minutes, and average
speed was 31.9, can someone please work out what my average lap times were
for the 1.2k track, as my brain is asleep right now.

Anyway I did enjoy to watch the pro's fight it out in the end, Cat1 & 2, wow
these guys were going, I recorded a lap time of Cat1 riders of 1.37 minutes,
and with the winner been some guy wearing an Ipswich Cycles jersey I think.

Anyhow this was an experience for me, I really thought I was more fitter
than that.......... but it was fun ??? or was it.
Is there a Cat 5 group (^_^)

Anyhow I hope the guys that stacked are ok, and recover fast.

Sorry for such a long letter.

Anthony

Old August 6th 05, 01:07 PM
flyingdutch

I doubt there is a person who has raced who didnt get lapped their firs
time (i got lapped twice!). learning how to suck wheel is the secret.
as one wise grasshopper once said...

"in a crit everyone else is riding for you, they just dont realise it"

i think it took me about 6-8 races before i was getting dropped at eve
diminishing distances from the finishing line. being in the bunch i
easy. ESPECIALLY in the middle. get off the back bit, youre playin
with fire just waiting to get dropped

Go again (and again, and...) and you'll get there.

keep us informed :

--
flyingdutch

Old August 6th 05, 01:23 PM
ALG

Just worked it out, silly me, yes about 2 minutes,30 seconds a lap, ahhhhh
so slow.
I forgot to mention, about 6 months ago I did the Carmicheal Fitness test, 3
miles flat out, and I did it right on 8 minutes, and that is supposed to put
me in the very fit bracket.
Where did it all go wrong today ?????

Old August 7th 05, 03:54 AM
Absent Husband

Hi Anthony,

Great effort mate, well done!! First time is ALWAYS tough - I should
know!! I started racing out at Murrarie with the Balmoral Club a couple
of months ago. I was similarly humiliated first up, but believe me,
keep going back and improve each time. And when you finally manage to
keep up with the group it is the most amazing feeling!!!

The only tip I'll give is to start in the safety of the middle of the
bunch, and try and hide in there as long as you can. It is too easy to
get spat out the back otherwise and find yourself toiling into the wind
all on your lonesome.

Again, well done on your first up effort. Cat 3 IS the lowest grade I
believe. The Cat 4 race is a 'handicap' - HPRW riders might be able to
enlighten on specifics of how that works??

Post again if you're tempted to head out to Murrarie for a race one day
and we can meet you there...

Cheers,
Abby

Old August 7th 05, 04:44 AM
MikeyOz

ALG Wrote:
I've been thinking about doing my first race for the past 6 months o
so
anyway today I did it at the Nundah track in Brisbane
Anyway the handicapper put me in Cat3, even after I told him that
have n
racing experience at all
Now I thought I wasn;'t too bad a rider, and fairly fit, but boy was
wrong

I started at the back of the pack due to been a bit nervous of bee
stuck i
the middle of the bunch, and with no experience at racing at all,
though
it was the best place to be

Anyway we got underway, and it looked like fun, and I stayed with th
pac
for 2 laps or so, still at the rear

At about lap 3 the pace picked up dramatically, and I started to fal
behind, I tried to catchup, but no way man
I was doing around 32 k's an hour, and hitting that headwind down th
mai
straight on my very own didn't help me at all

Anyway, the pack really got away, I said to myself wow, this is harde
tha
I thought, by about lap 6, I was entering the home straight, and th
pac
was exiting it, maybe 700 metres away in the wild blue yonda

I said, hey these guys and gals are going to lap me, and yep, after 1
minutes, I was lapped, and if that wasn't bad enough, Cat 4 rider
caugh
me, but I kept up with them for a lap or 2, and passed one or 2 o
them
then suddenly down the back of track through the S bends was a nast
stack
looked like about 6 riders in Cat3 were taken out, and some looke
prett
badly injured

Anyhow, this was becoming quite humiliating for me, and to go down th
hom
straight on my own, past the biggish crowd at the start finish line
was
nightmare

I felt like going straight ahead off the track, and hiding at Toombu
shoppingtown until dark, as to not show myself to the crowd
But I kept it up, and yes was lapped a second time at 30 minutes
anyway,
was praying for that final 10 minutes to come fast, and I must say i
fel
like another hour

Anyway finally I heard that bell ring, ahhhhh I was happy to hear tha
sound

This was really tough I must say, not to mention embarrassing

My bike computer showed 24.2 ks Distance, time was 45.40minutes, an
averag
speed was 31.9, can someone please work out what my average lap time
wer
for the 1.2k track, as my brain is asleep right now

Anyway I did enjoy to watch the pro's fight it out in the end, Cat1
2, wo
these guys were going, I recorded a lap time of Cat1 riders of 1.3
minutes
and with the winner been some guy wearing an Ipswich Cycles jersey
think

Anyhow this was an experience for me, I really thought I was mor
fitte
than that.......... but it was fun ??? or was it
Is there a Cat 5 group (^_^

Anyhow I hope the guys that stacked are ok, and recover fast

Sorry for such a long letter

Anthony

hey mate... have never done one yet, but like hearing the stories..
good on ya for having a go, just sounds all a bit too competitive fo
me, im bad enough competing with myself, let alone other people...
anyway good stuff, next time you will probably win

--
MikeyO

Old August 7th 05, 07:18 AM
ALG

Thanks Abby, now I feel a little bit better, but just a tweeny , weeny,
weeny little bit better.

Yes it pays to try to keep up with the pack, and get sucked along, instead
of falling back, and hitting those headwinds on your own.
But really I can't see myself improving that much.
To be lapped twice is really something I think, and over 40 minutes, well
how could I possibly get better without taking drugs ?
I ride a fair bit, maybe around 150k's a week at a good pace, and I feel
fit, and don't tire so easy, but that race yesterday was another kettle of
fish I thought, to keep up the pace for that long was for me very hard, and
my HRM was reading 95% max most of the way, even though I didn't think I was
pushing that hard, and didn't feel that stuffed.
I think the big thing that got me was to get dropped so early on, and to
fight that head wind down the straight on my own made me give up, but I do
feel proud that I finished the distance, and didn't pullout.
I was told that Cat 3 riders average 35k's an hour by the handicapper, but I
was doing 35, sometimes 45, but still not good enough, I would be interested
to know what the winner of Cat 3 recorded as average speed, as I said mine
was 31.9.

And there were many older, much much older guys that lapped me, they should
feel proud to have that level of fitness.

Yes maybe I will try again, and yes it would be a good feeling to keep up
with the pack, and be at the finish with the pack, yes it must be a great
feeling.

Anyway, Thanks again.

Old August 7th 05, 07:37 AM
DaveB

ALG wrote:
Thanks Abby, now I feel a little bit better, but just a tweeny , weeny,
weeny little bit better.

Yes it pays to try to keep up with the pack, and get sucked along, instead
of falling back, and hitting those headwinds on your own.
But really I can't see myself improving that much.
To be lapped twice is really something I think, and over 40 minutes, well
how could I possibly get better without taking drugs ?

Sounds similar to me. I only got lapped once in the 30mins +3 but if it
had gone to 40 they may have got me a second time. I don't know what
your circuit is like, but for me at kew there was one specific rise that
gave me grief every lap. My aim is to try and get down there on a
regular basis and work on that rise. As it was, I was working hard as I
could up the rise and then when everybody eased off on the downhill, I
was going even harder to catch up. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but i think
if I can get that weakest point sorted I'll be able to hang on for much
longer.

daveB
Old August 7th 05, 08:01 AM
ALG

Nundah is flat, just a very slight rise after the main straight.
I have ridden it heaps of times socially, and have never seen it Wind free,
its very open, and susceptible to strong winds.

Old August 7th 05, 11:08 AM
ritcho

ALG Wrote:
I've been thinking about doing my first race for the past 6 months o
so,
anyway today I did it at the Nundah track in Brisbane.

[snip]

Anthony

Well done - next time you'll go much better.

It's a bit like climbing a high mountain though: you climb a bit highe
and find out you're a long way from the top...

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old August 7th 05, 11:41 AM
adam85

"ALG" wrote in message ...
I've been thinking about doing my first race for the past 6 months or so,
anyway today I did it at the Nundah track in Brisbane.
Anyway the handicapper put me in Cat3, even after I told him that I have
no
racing experience at all.
Now I thought I wasn;'t too bad a rider, and fairly fit, but boy was I
wrong.

G'day Anthony,
Don't worry about it, you'll get there. I'm sure you're fitness is very
close,
you just have to learn how it works that's all. If it's any consolation,
being
a new track and one of the few times there has been racing there, the
numbers were up with visitors, and I'm sure people were trying a little
bit harder and there would have been more surging than normal. If you're
struggling to stay with the pack, and you get dropped then it's game
over...you've got no chance.

I started at the back of the pack due to been a bit nervous of been stuck
in
the middle of the bunch, and with no experience at racing at all, I
thought
it was the best place to be.

OK whenever I read that in a race report I just *know* the next bit will
be....

At about lap 3 the pace picked up dramatically, and I started to fall
behind, I tried to catchup, but no way man.

Does nobody listen around here? Next time hopefully you'll be right up
in the middle and watching up the pack to anticipate the surges. If you
see it coming you can start speeding up earlier, it makes it easier.

I said, hey these guys and gals are going to lap me, and yep, after 15
minutes, I was lapped, and if that wasn't bad enough, Cat 4 riders caught
me, but I kept up with them for a lap or 2, and passed one or 2 of them,
then suddenly down the back of track through the S bends was a nasty
stack,
looked like about 6 riders in Cat3 were taken out, and some looked pretty
badly injured.

I spoke to a few guys today who were out there, nobody seriously injured was
what I heard, just the normal grazing I hope. Anyhow stick with it, in a few
months
you'll be looking back thinking pah...how easy!

Adam