Water bottle for a criterium race

Old February 7th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Artoi

Default Water bottle for a criterium race

I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.
Old February 7th 07, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ewoud Dronkert

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:55:13 GMT, Artoi wrote:
I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race?

Not. And screw off the bottle holder. Leave the 2 bolts at home,
they're dead weight.

--
E. Dronkert
Old February 7th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Not. And screw off the bottle holder. Leave the 2 bolts at home,
they're dead weight.

And while you're about it, remove one testicle as well.

Old February 7th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 7, 11:55 am, Artoi wrote:
I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.
--

Your body won't need it but your mind might. If your mouth goes dry
and you find yourself thinking "I wish I had my bottle" instead of

No reason not to bring one IMO.

Joseph

Old February 7th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 10:55:13 GMT, Artoi wrote:

I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.

Take a bottle with a bit of liquid in it (perhaps 1/3 full?) to the
start line in case the event starts late and to calm your nerves
before the start.

--
JT
****************************
Old February 7th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan

On Feb 7, 11:55 am, Artoi wrote:
I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.
--

That water may cause you to want to urinate during the race. Since
there won't be time to stop during the

-ilan

Old February 7th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 7, 2:20 pm, "ilan" wrote:
On Feb 7, 11:55 am, Artoi wrote:

I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.
--

That water may cause you to want to urinate during the race. Since
there won't be time to stop during the
criterium, I suggest wearing a diaper. All the top racers to it.

-ilan

That's what that thing is in the shorts?

Joseph

Old February 7th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Everett

On 7 Feb 2007 05:20:55 -0800, "ilan" wrote:

On Feb 7, 11:55 am, Artoi wrote:
I am wondering how necessary it is to carry water during a 20km
criterium race? Would a moderate water load prior to the start work?

This is assuming mild weather and at a medium grade level. I know there
can be other significant variables, but the above question stands.
Thanks.
--

That water may cause you to want to urinate during the race. Since
there won't be time to stop during the
criterium, I suggest wearing a diaper. All the top racers to it.

I don't know about the OP, but every time I raced I got a case of
dry-mouth in the first mile or two. I needed my water.

Also, the above reminds me of the TV coverage of the last stage of the
TdF a number of years ago. They showed several cyclists coasting along
the Seine being pushed by team-mates while turned sideways on their
saddles. The commentator said something about the racers slowing down
to enjoy the river view. ;-)

--
jeverett3ATsbcglobalDOTnet (John V. Everett)
Old February 7th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
gds

On Feb 7, 6:20 am, "ilan" wrote:

I suggest wearing a diaper. All the top racers to it.

-ilan

Top astronauts too!

Old February 7th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan

On Feb 7, 2:20 pm, "ilan" wrote:
On Feb 7, 11:55 am, Artoi wrote:

That water may cause you to want to urinate during the race. Since
there won't be time to stop during the
criterium, I suggest wearing a diaper. All the top racers to it.

On the other hand, I've never been able to find a Motorman's Friend,
an item which I've
only seen once in the movie Semi Tough. I couldn't find it by doing a
Google search either.
It consists of a rubber hose and a little flask, which
allows you to relieve yourself discreetly at any time. In the movie,
Burt Reynolds uses it for
an EST marathon seminar. The one time I really needed it was driving a
RAAM support vehicle all
night: You are obliged to follow the rider continuously at
approximately 18 mph for hours at a time, and
you end up drinking soft drinks continuously, but then you don't want
to force the poor rider to stop for your
bathroom break.

-ilan