AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old September 30th 16, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: Seasons changing?

On 9/29/2016 7:57 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 10:28:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/29/2016 3:41 AM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 22:33:37 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

I liked that :-) I always carry rain wear with me on any ride over a
few minutes. And hope not to have to use it :-)

Yesterday's grocery run:

The ride started with me saying "Come on, ride with me. There's only a
15% chance of rain. And the sun doesn't set for an hour."

The ride ended with both of us sprinting home through a downpour,
generator headlights supplementing the illumination of the lightning
flashes. It gets amazingly dark under a thunderhead.

Fortunately, the computer screen verified that there was only a 15%
chance the incident had actually happened. She forgave me.

Errr.... Can't you just look up when you go out doors and get an idea
of what the weather will be?

If it were that easy, we wouldn't have weather forecasters.

I once bought a pretty little book, _Instant Weather Forecasting_ by
Alan Watts. It features lots of basic explanation of weather phenomena,
followed by a couple dozen photos of different cloud types. Each photo
has an explanation of what would cause that cloud type, and what weather
could be expected. BTW, I first came across the book in the 1970s, and
figured the knowledge would be very useful on long bike tours.

In practice, when I started doing long bike tours, I found it far easier
to check the newspapers; then later, the Weather Channel; and nowadays,
my smart phone app.

Not that any of them have been perfectly accurate, of course!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 30th 16, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

I probably have the advantage of living in a place with two very
distinct seasons, one when it rains and one when it doesn't, although
it does rain infrequently during the dry season and the sun does shine
some days in the rainy season, but still I can fairly well tell
whether it is going to rain during my morning ride or not. At least
well enough to rationalize by saying, "Well, I'm usually right" :-)

(But I will admit to carrying a rain cape on my Sunday rides - usually
a couple of hours minimum.)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 30th 16, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 20:28:13 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I usually look west.

Double-take this morning: I checked the radar and just had time to
think "the rain has almost blown over" before I noticed that the
animation was moving right to left. The rain had just begun.

Just checked the full-resolution mosaic loop. Man, that's one big
cyclone! The center of rotation is in western Kentucky, and there's a
blob in the Atlantic headed for Maine. My screen isn't big enough for
me to get a clear idea of what is going on out west. Duh! Click on
the full-width version. No wonder I couldn't tell: there aren't
enough clouds out that way to tell which way the wind is moving.
Things are really soggy on the Gulf coast from the Mexican border to
Florida. Probably goes further south, but this map doesn't get data
from Mexico.

Our weather usually comes from Chicago, coming straight down US Route
30.

US Routes were before the Interstate, and were merely routes marked
along pre-existing roads. Of course, marking them increased the
traffic and today many are built up to Interstate standards. At least
US 30 between Chicago and Fort Wayne is, except for the "controlled
access" aka "Chinese Wall" aspect.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Old September 30th 16, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 13:48:00 +0700, John B.
wrote:

(But I will admit to carrying a rain cape on my Sunday rides - usually
a couple of hours minimum.)

I wonder what became of my rain cape? I last remember seeing it
hanging in the entry hall of our previous house, sticking to the hook
because the waterproofing was rotten.

I wore it only once, for about five seconds. I had it in my pannier,
it started to rain, I stopped and put it on, attempted to look back
before starting off, and took it off again.

My current plan for dealing with rain is "get wet". I'm thinking I
should inspect all my summer jerseys and retrofit them, where
necessary, with pockets that will safely hold my glasses.

I should also put a spectacle-cleaning rag into a snack bag and stash
it in my emergency kit. Last time I got caught in a downpour, the one
in my back pocket got soggy. On the other hand, a plastic bag would
wear into leaks before the next emergency.

My plan for winter rain is "stay home" or if that fails, "call a taxi
before a passer-by calls an ambulance". I do have a windbreaker that
will shed rain if worn over a wool jersey.

And, groan, I'm going to start carrying it everywhere real soon.

Old September 30th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Related: Our club's ride this morning was canceled because of the rainy
forecast. I slept in as a result. So it's been perfectly dry all
morning. :-/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 30th 16, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 10:58:26 AM UTC-4, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 13:48:00 +0700, John B. wrote:

(But I will admit to carrying a rain cape on my Sunday rides - usually
a couple of hours minimum.)

I wonder what became of my rain cape? I last remember seeing it
hanging in the entry hall of our previous house, sticking to the hook
because the waterproofing was rotten.

My father used to ride with a rain cape while commuting to work. I tried it and found I got just as wet under it as in the rain, but I was riding nearly half again as fast as he would.

I wore it only once, for about five seconds. I had it in my pannier,
it started to rain, I stopped and put it on, attempted to look back
before starting off, and took it off again.

My current plan for dealing with rain is "get wet".

That is almost a direct quote from a parade instruction in the Canadian army.

I'm thinking I
should inspect all my summer jerseys and retrofit them, where
necessary, with pockets that will safely hold my glasses.

I wear road jerseys, and they all have pockets suitable for glasses, but generally I put them in a glasses case in my pack. (I am far-sighted and can both drive and cycle safely without corrective lenses, but I like to wear wrap-around sports glasses to keep the wind out of my eyes so they water less.)

I should also put a spectacle-cleaning rag into a snack bag and stash
it in my emergency kit. Last time I got caught in a downpour, the one
in my back pocket got soggy. On the other hand, a plastic bag would
wear into leaks before the next emergency.

My plan for winter rain is "stay home" or if that fails, "call a taxi
before a passer-by calls an ambulance". I do have a windbreaker that
will shed rain if worn over a wool jersey.

And, groan, I'm going to start carrying it everywhere real soon.

I feel your pain, Sister. Autumn in Eastern Ontario tends to be damp and cool, degenerating to icy and cold. I will mount my dirt board and start carrying my wet weather gear at all times by the middle of October. For now, I find that the forecast radar picture I see on the weather network allow me reasonably determine whether or not I will need the gear.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old October 2nd 16, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Gloom, drip, and thunderstorms on me

I spent my writing time finalizing the September Beeson Banner, so
there's no post.

The whole week was rained out, so I don't even have a ride report.

I did walk a little more than a mile on Thursday, and climb a steep
hill. I plan to take pretty much the same walk tomorrow, climb a
flight of stairs, and approximate a few pushups.

I wonder how many people in the world do pushups only when wearing an
ankle-length dress.

In last week's post, I said "buffer" where I should have said "drafts
folder". Half-baked embryonic posts don't buffer anything.

I calculate that if I come back from the dump tour by way of Wooster
and Sprawlmart, it will be twenty-two miles. I plan to do that next
Tuesday. (I dump plastic bags at Owen's, old magazines at the
emergency room, and unwanted whatevers at Goodwill, then have lunch at
Panda Express. This trip I mean to go to The Pillbox before stopping
at the hospital, and price heavy-duty walkers. My light-duty walker
no longer does the job.)

Yay! This year I heard about the fall nature hike *before* it
happened! After reading the press release, I went to Facebook and
"Like"d The Center for Lakes and Streams' "event", in the hope that
the spring hike will show up on my newsfeed. But Facebook's newsfeed
is somewhere between flaky and malevolent, so I'm not counting on it.

The press release said the event will be cancelled in case of
inclement weather, but Weather Underground says that Saturday will be
suitable for taking city folks for a stroll in the woods. Of course,
that is subject to change. Modern forecasting is pretty good on the
sequence of events for the coming week, but often a bit off on the
timing -- and rain is predicted for the previous day.

"Thunderstorms" in the subject line is a gross exaggeration. We've
had some thunder, and we've had some pouring rain, but there hasn't
been enough wind to take a limb off the willow. Did have a breeze
stiff enough to make me refrain from hanging out the rest of the
laundry after I managed to pin a king-size sheet to the line, but no
thunder or rain on that day.

--
Joy Beeson
Old October 9th 16, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: The quickest way to go fast

Sometimes when you're ambling along pedalling slowly and admiring the
scenery, you suddenly want to go as fast as you can, perhaps to catch
up with someone, perhaps just because you feel like it.

The fastest way to get into high gear starts with shifting *down*.

Shift down until you are spinning just a little faster than you
prefer, then shift up one notch and work hard until you are spinning
as fast as you were in the lower gear, repeat until you reach the
desired speed.

Old October 12th 16, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Picking up pills again. I think this time it will stick.

Dressing, I selected a long-sleeved T-ahirt to wear under my jersey,
picked up my "taxicab" (merchant's name for the color) jersey. Hmm
.. . . this is sleazy-thin and I don't like the way the wrists puff.
And it looks as though I washed it after the last time I wore it. I
moved it from current shirts to the section marked "summer" and put on
my double-knit spring/autumn jersey. (I derive much amusement from
changing from long summer sleeves to above-the-elbow sleeves when the
weather turns cool.

Thumb-tested my tires -- the back one is
Old October 12th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Disregard previous message. And why did it send when I hit the shift
key?