Inter-M hub brake too weak

Old December 4th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
crowizcom

Default Inter-M hub brake too weak

i got giant fusion dx bike, such as
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/nl-be/...llections_id=2

its second hand but without many signs of use, ie like new!

however, brakes are very weak, and if i apply excessive force, there
comes metallic sound ..

?

Old December 4th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 4, 12:37*pm, crowizcom wrote:
i got giant fusion dx bike, such ashttp://www.giant-bicycles.com/nl-be/bikes/lifestyle/967/28195/zoom/?c...

its second hand but without many signs of use, ie like new!

however, brakes are very weak, and if i apply excessive force, there
comes metallic sound ..

Roller brakes can make a bit of noise, especially if they need to be
serviced. They stop just great in my experience, though you may need
to tweak the cable routing to get the smoothest pull.

I've used thick non-Shimano grease in roller brakes with no ill
effects.
Old December 4th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Dec 4, 6:37*pm, crowizcom wrote:
i got giant fusion dx bike, such ashttp://www.giant-bicycles.com/nl-be/bikes/lifestyle/967/28195/zoom/?c...

its second hand but without many signs of use, ie like new!

however, brakes are very weak, and if i apply excessive force, there
comes metallic sound ..

?

The brakes are weak because they're dry, and they're loud for the same
reason. You must buy a tube of special Shimano Roller Brake Grease and
squeeze in some through the grease port behind the small rubber plug
on the outside of the roller brake. Don't use any other grease.

Andre Jute
The rest is magic hidden in the hub.
For rare hub gear bikes, visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

Old December 4th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per landotter:
Roller brakes

Tangential question: are the "coaster brakes" on old single-speed
American bikes a flavor of roller brake?
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 4th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Per landotter:
Roller brakes

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Tangential question: are the "coaster brakes" on old single-speed
American bikes a flavor of roller brake?

No.
There are a few basic designs, from classic Bendix to New
Departure and on to Perry. Almost all CB are variants on one
of those but not roller brakes.

Unfortunately, if Shimano shows you a drawing of the Secret
Brake Mechanism, they'll have to kill you:
http://bernd.sluka.de/Fahrrad/Shiman...-IM50_1998.gif

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 4th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

crowizcom wrote:

however, brakes are very weak, and if i apply excessive force, there
comes metallic sound ..

What Andre Jute said-- your brake needs grease. Since that is a very
unusual and extreme condition for a grease, I would take Shimano at
their word when they say you must use their special roller brake
grease.

Occasional greasing is the only maintenance that roller brakes need,
but they really need it.

Chalo
Old December 4th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
What Andre Jute said-- your brake needs grease. Since that is a very
unusual and extreme condition for a grease, I would take Shimano at
their word when they say you must use their special roller brake
grease.

Occasional greasing is the only maintenance that roller brakes need,
but they really need it.

Nothing wrong with Shimano grease but we pump Lubriplate
130AA [1] in them with good results. 'Good results' means
regular customers for 12 years or so. Normal interval is a
about a year in daily use.

[1] only because we have it, with an injector head, handy.

Old December 5th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Chalo wrote:
What Andre Jute said-- your brake needs grease. *Since that is a very
unusual and extreme condition for a grease, I would take Shimano at
their word when they say you must use their special roller brake
grease.

Occasional greasing is the only maintenance that roller brakes need,
but they really need it.

Nothing wrong with Shimano grease but we pump Lubriplate
130AA [1] in them with good results. 'Good results' means
regular customers for 12 years or so. Normal interval is a
about a year in daily use.

[1] only because we have it, with an injector head, handy.

I've used Phil's because that's why I had laying around. Worked fine.
Yearly interval is about right in the rust belt. Should go a couple
years down here.

Old December 9th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pdxrandonneur

Chalo wrote:
What Andre Jute said-- your brake needs grease. *Since that is a very
unusual and extreme condition for a grease, I would take Shimano at
their word when they say you must use their special roller brake
grease.

Occasional greasing is the only maintenance that roller brakes need,
but they really need it.

Nothing wrong with Shimano grease but we pump Lubriplate
130AA [1] in them with good results. 'Good results' means
regular customers for 12 years or so. Normal interval is a
about a year in daily use.

[1] only because we have it, with an injector head, handy.

I've used Phil's because that's why I had laying around. Worked fine.
Yearly interval is about right in the rust belt. Should go a couple
years down here.- Hide quoted text -

I have used aerosol spray grease, regular white lithium, phil's,
polylube 1000 and the special shimano grease. The main difference is
that the shimano grease is much less prone to catching on fire during
a long downhill on a hot day. I have also used wd-40, tri-flow, phil's
oil, and 3 in 1 when grease wasn't handy it they all worked as well.
Using oil rather than grease seemed to eliminate fade, but with a new
effect of causing a major spike in braking power when the brake got
really hot. If the brake is making noise it is a good idea to clean it
out before re-lubricating, as dirty old grease will build up in the
braking ring and degrade performance. The other source of noise is a
loose cooling fin/ring, and that can be solved with locktight or super
glue. If you still don't have enough braking power after re-
lubrication try using a longer pull brake lever.

-Rando