175 lb pump

Old May 20th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 175 lb pump

I just got new tires which need 175 lbs. I can't seem to locate a floor pump
that will go that high. The shop that installed the tires said that they
use a pump that will go to 160 lb and then give it 4 more pumps. Anyone
dealing with this?

Richard

Old May 20th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sparky wrote:
I just got new tires which need 175 lbs. I can't seem to locate a floor pump
that will go that high. The shop that installed the tires said that they
use a pump that will go to 160 lb and then give it 4 more pumps. Anyone
dealing with this?

Richard

Silca track pump. Goes to 200 lbs + IIRC. I hope this is a track bike
(that's one hard tire - ouch! )

D'ohBoy

Old May 20th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 20 May 2006 21:55:15 GMT, "Sparky" wrote:

I just got new tires which need 175 lbs.

Wow. What kind of tires are those?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old May 21st 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

I just got new tires which need 175 lbs. I can't seem to locate a floor pump
that will go that high. The shop that installed the tires said that they
use a pump that will go to 160 lb and then give it 4 more pumps. Anyone
dealing with this?

Richard

Dear Richard,

Zefal Husky:

http://www.bicycletires.com/tek9.asp...ific=jnmmqqmng

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old May 21st 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sparky wrote:
I just got new tires which need 175 lbs. I can't seem to locate a floor pump
that will go that high. The shop that installed the tires said that they
use a pump that will go to 160 lb and then give it 4 more pumps. Anyone
dealing with this?

Richard

No one ever need 175psi in their tires, I bet you have some Conti
Tubular tires which have a MAX pressure of 175psi. I ride Conti
Sprinters and never inflate to more then 110-120psi and I weigh 195
pounds...............
Old May 21st 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sparky wrote:
I just got new tires which need 175 lbs. I can't seem to locate a floor pump
that will go that high. The shop that installed the tires said that they
use a pump that will go to 160 lb and then give it 4 more pumps. Anyone
dealing with this?

Richard

175 psi is an insane pressure. The pressure printed on the tire refers
to the maximum pressure allowed for that tire, not wat you probably
need. Cornering on bad pavement would be terrible with that kind of
pressure.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old May 21st 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

I just got new tires which need 175 lbs.

Only if you're on a very good modern velodrome. There are enough bumps
on older wooden or concrete tracks to make a lower pressure more
efficient. For pavement, lower still and for Paris-Roubaix, about half
your 175psi is right.

If they're clinchers (e.g. Conti GP Supersonic 20c is rated 170psi
max), your rims might explode before the tyre does (e.g. Ksyrium Elite
is rated 146psi for a 19mm tyre and 138psi for a 23)

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary