Recumbents in NYC?

Old October 29th 09, 12:03 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Roy Smith

Default Recumbents in NYC?

A couple of months ago, I injured my back. I'm just graduating from PT
(physical therapy) and returning to the world of the living. I need to
find some sort of exercise to replace the PT, but can't see myself getting
back on my old road bike (a Fuji 12-speed which has served me well for
probably 25 years).

I "rode" a stationary recumbent in the gym as part of PT and found it
comfortable. Now I'm thinking of one that's got wheels and moves and all
that good stuff.

I stopped by Metro Cycle in New Rochelle today, but they don't have any.
Doesn't sound like there's much demand. Any place in the NYC area
(preferably Westchester or The Bronx) where I can go see some and take one
for a test ride?
Old October 29th 09, 12:37 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
A couple of months ago, I injured my back. I'm just graduating from PT
(physical therapy) and returning to the world of the living. I need to
find some sort of exercise to replace the PT, but can't see myself getting
back on my old road bike (a Fuji 12-speed which has served me well for
probably 25 years).

I "rode" a stationary recumbent in the gym as part of PT and found it
comfortable. Now I'm thinking of one that's got wheels and moves and all
that good stuff.

I stopped by Metro Cycle in New Rochelle today, but they don't have any.
Doesn't sound like there's much demand. Any place in the NYC area
(preferably Westchester or The Bronx) where I can go see some and take one
for a test ride?

I would confine my recumbent bicycle riding to bike trails (paths) in NYC.
Otherwise, you will soon be back getting some more PT for further injuries
due to cycling on those "mean streets".

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old October 29th 09, 01:23 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Oct 28, 7:37*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Roy Smith" wrote in message

[...]

I disagree. I have a daughter, son-in-law and two grandkids who live
in Scarsdale, and when visiting them, have done a fair amount of bike
riding in Scarsdale, Eastchester, New Rochelle and White Plains
(intending to branch out further on future trips) and not found
traffic to be a big problem except on selected busy roads (e.g. Route
22). Their 3 year old, when accompanied of course, rides her bike
with training wheels half a dozen blocks to a school with good
playground equipment. You will have no problem developing routes with
as much or as little traffic as you want.

Where you will have a bit of a problem is with hills. I've ridden a
recumbent only up and down my cousin's driveway a couple times, but
had a companion who rode one on my 1998 LA - Milwaukee trip (http://
www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/4722). He was fully my equal and then
some on level ground and going downhill, but lagged well behind on
uphill stretches. Other recumbent riders I know have similarly
remarked about difficulties climbing hills. But though it's a hilly
area, I assume you can also find routes with only hills you find
manageable.
Old October 29th 09, 01:44 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

[...]

What does any of the above have to do with NYC? You are describing suburban
cycling, not urban cycling. All the boroughs of NYC are extremely dangerous
for cyclists unless you stay on the bike paths.
[...]

Old October 29th 09, 01:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Oct 28, 7:03*pm, Roy Smith wrote:
A couple of months ago, I injured my back. *I'm just graduating from PT
(physical therapy) and returning to the world of the living. *I need to
find some sort of exercise to replace the PT, but can't see myself getting
back on my old road bike (a Fuji 12-speed which has served me well for
probably 25 years).

I "rode" a stationary recumbent in the gym as part of PT and found it
comfortable. *Now I'm thinking of one that's got wheels and moves and all
that good stuff.

I stopped by Metro Cycle in New Rochelle today, but they don't have any. *
Doesn't sound like there's much demand. *Any place in the NYC area
(preferably Westchester or The Bronx) where I can go see some and take one
for a test ride?

Put out some noise on craigslist. Bent riders will bend backwards to
bring you into the fold and likely offer you test rides and advice.

Also, in NYC you should be able to find shops selling bolt upright
Dutch and Brit type bikes, worth a try as well.
Old October 29th 09, 02:14 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Oct 28, 8:44*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota- Hide quoted text -

Ed, you are an incorrigable curmudgeon. Here's the area the poster
described:

"I stopped by Metro Cycle in New Rochelle today, but they don't have
any.
Doesn't sound like there's much demand. Any place in the NYC area
(preferably Westchester or The Bronx) where I can go see some and take
one
for a test ride? "

I think my response was responsive. But as it happens, I have two
other kids living in Manhattan and have also biked there quite a
bit. Yes the Hudson River bike route is good, but so is Central
Park. Biking from either the Upper West side or from Soho to Mass at
St. Patrick's Cathedral, or to or from the Brooklyn Bridge is also no
problem. I saw a respsectable amount of bike traffic throughout the
Borough. My experience crossing the entire metro area is more
dubious. See days 13 and 14 of this report: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/4631

Old October 29th 09, 03:02 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Roy Smith

In article
,
Ron Wallenfang wrote:

My experience crossing the entire metro area is more
dubious. See days 13 and 14 of this report:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/4631

Interesting -- sounds like you pretty much rode right past my house on Day
13! The "long park" you rode through was Pelham Bay Park, and the "e/w
parkway with many walkers, joggers and kids playing in the greenway" is
Pelham Parkway.

And you weren't on Fordham Street, you were on Fordham Road. There is a
Fordham Street, but not on that route :-)
Old October 29th 09, 03:40 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Simon Lewis

landotter writes:

On Oct 28, 7:03Â*pm, Roy Smith wrote:
A couple of months ago, I injured my back. Â*I'm just graduating from PT
(physical therapy) and returning to the world of the living. Â*I need to
find some sort of exercise to replace the PT, but can't see myself getting
back on my old road bike (a Fuji 12-speed which has served me well for
probably 25 years).

I "rode" a stationary recumbent in the gym as part of PT and found it
comfortable. Â*Now I'm thinking of one that's got wheels and moves and all
that good stuff.

I stopped by Metro Cycle in New Rochelle today, but they don't have any. Â*
Doesn't sound like there's much demand. Â*Any place in the NYC area
(preferably Westchester or The Bronx) where I can go see some and take one
for a test ride?

Put out some noise on craigslist. Bent riders will bend backwards to
bring you into the fold and likely offer you test rides and advice.

If you're not American that sounds pretty funny.

In English terms a "Bent Rider" would be a homosexual one.
Old October 29th 09, 03:49 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Oct 28, 10:40*pm, Simon Lewis wrote:
landotter writes:
[...]

A toad in the hole at my local bar goes for $50 out back!
Old October 29th 09, 04:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

[...]

The subject title of this thread was Recumbents in NYC, not Recumbents in
New Rochelle.
In any event, The Bronx is NYC.

I think my response was responsive. But as it happens, I have two

other kids living in Manhattan and have also biked there quite a
bit. Yes the Hudson River bike route is good, but so is Central
Park. Biking from either the Upper West side or from Soho to Mass at
St. Patrick's Cathedral, or to or from the Brooklyn Bridge is also no
problem. I saw a respsectable amount of bike traffic throughout the
Borough. My experience crossing the entire metro area is more
dubious. See days 13 and 14 of this report:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/4631

I personally would not enjoy cycling in NYC except on the bike paths. Why
would anyone want to play Russian roulette on a bicycle with motor vehicles
on those mean streets of NYC?

The very best places for cyclists to enjoy their rides are in small towns.
You will be safer there and still be able to do a lot of miles.

UK recumbents?? Paul - xxx[_2_] UK 11 April 6th 09 09:03 AM
TdF and recumbents Pat[_13_] Techniques 237 August 6th 08 02:50 AM
New to Recumbents DJM Recumbent Biking 2 June 8th 08 06:52 PM
Recumbents, where are they? Duram Recumbent Biking 10 January 31st 07 08:02 PM
Recumbents Wayne Recumbent Biking 0 December 21st 05 04:30 AM