V-brake balancing screws.

Old April 3rd 15, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default V-brake balancing screws.

On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 15:53:27 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I don't
carry a chain tool, although I did break a chain once on a mountain bike
ride. (I wired the chain ends together and ratchet-pedaled my way home
- fortunately not far.)

I broke a chain once. It's amazing how well one can draisine a road
bike that's a bit too tall for the rider -- I usually got more than
halfway up a hill before I had to walk. I, too, was close to home.

That was once in half a century of serious riding, many years of it
before I had a driver's license. (More than half a century if you
count a department-store bike used only for carrying clothes to the
nearest laundromat.)

So I see no need to carry a chain tool. Or, any need to *own* a chain
tool now that the Trailhouse is just a short walk up the street.

I used to consider a quarter the most-vital tool in my kit. Now it's
a cell phone with Fastcab's number in it.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
Old April 3rd 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote:

I don't
carry a chain tool, although I did break a chain once on a mountain bike
ride. (I wired the chain ends together and ratchet-pedaled my way home
- fortunately not far.)

I broke a chain once. It's amazing how well one can draisine a road
bike that's a bit too tall for the rider -- I usually got more than
halfway up a hill before I had to walk. I, too, was close to home.

To the best I can remember, I've never snapped a bicycle chain. I've snapped
a few motorcycle chains, and mangled quite a few more when they come off the
sprocket.

It was pretty much motorcycles that got me into the habit of carrying a few
inches of spare chain and a handful of spare split links.

With a Derallieur I wouldn't bother with split links - I'd just use the
chain punch and keep to a continuous loop.

Old April 3rd 15, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 8:22:06 PM UTC-4, Clive George wrote:
On 02/04/2015 20:53, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Even on bike tours, I don't carry bottom bracket tools or headset tools
for my (now vintage) bikes, and never needed one on the road.

No BB tool here either - they don't fail that seriously. Headset tools
are a lot easier these days given that they use normal allen keys to fit.

I don't
carry a chain tool, although I did break a chain once on a mountain bike
ride. (I wired the chain ends together and ratchet-pedaled my way home
- fortunately not far.) But everything else, I think I can fix on the road.

The chain tool is the one I've probably used the most. I carry several
quick links too. But this is on a tandem with low gears which gets
pedalled up hills.

My worst on-road failure was on an 80 mile super-hilly ride, where
almost everyone else was using a granny gear to make it up the hills. My
shifter cable snapped at the bar-end shifter, and I learned that the
spare cable I carried was too short to reach the derailleur. It turned
out to be surprisingly difficult to knot two cables together to make a
longer one!

The worst failure has been freehubs freewheeling both ways - shimano,
DT, WI have all done it. See comment above about the load.

With the DT hub once I knew about that failure mode I was a lot better
about greasing the ratchets, even doing it over lunch mid-ride once. I
also carried a spare pair. With the WI hub, the pawls all snapped, and
they are field replacable, so theoretically I carry spares.
(theoretically - they're very small and I've lost them :-) ). And I
don't touch shimano hubs on tandems any more.

DT hubs doahn tour...DT hubs blvd
Old April 3rd 15, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:55:26 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
wrote:

So what is your solution for people who don't want to learn?
Lou

Sell them crash helmets, seat belts, shoulder pads, knee pads, elbow
pads, air bags, anti-collision alarms, blind spot cameras, rear view
mirrors, anti-skid braking, computerized gear shifting, dash cameras
(for evidence collection), reflective clothing, component stress
monitoring, autopilot to follow the dotted line, voice operated help,
ELT/EPIRB, solid tires, etc. Just think off all the safety
accessories that can be sold to those without a clue. I'm salivating
just thinking about the possibilities.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 3rd 15, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

So what is your solution for people who don't want to learn?
Lou

Sell them crash helmets, seat belts, shoulder pads, knee pads, elbow
pads, air bags, anti-collision alarms, blind spot cameras, rear view
mirrors, anti-skid braking, computerized gear shifting, dash cameras
(for evidence collection), reflective clothing, component stress
monitoring, autopilot to follow the dotted line, voice operated help,
ELT/EPIRB, solid tires, etc. Just think off all the safety
accessories that can be sold to those without a clue. I'm salivating
just thinking about the possibilities.

And psychiatric drugs.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 4th 15, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

So what is your solution for people who don't want to learn?
Lou

Sell them crash helmets, seat belts, shoulder pads, knee pads, elbow
pads, air bags, anti-collision alarms, blind spot cameras, rear view
mirrors, anti-skid braking, computerized gear shifting, dash cameras
(for evidence collection), reflective clothing, component stress
monitoring, autopilot to follow the dotted line, voice operated help,
ELT/EPIRB, solid tires, etc. Just think off all the safety
accessories that can be sold to those without a clue. I'm salivating
just thinking about the possibilities.

And psychiatric drugs.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I forgot to order decaffeinated coffee for
lunch. Now I'm climbing the walls and can't shut up. That also might
explain why some LBS have free extra strength coffee in the showroom.

Just think of the bicycle as a mounting platorm for overpriced
accessories. Now, about that megalumen lighting...

However, wait until after Passover (starts tonite) for dispensing
psychoactive drugs. I don't think recereational or sales promotional
drugs are allowed during Pesach.

Old April 4th 15, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AE6KS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was turning that over this after. Packing the van for a Rio Grande-OK-Buffalo trip.

hmmm hmm hmmm I think off course most folk pack a bed roll some hardtack...oryou know garbage bags with Cans'O Beans...

I was amazing that I had packed the van if knot solid then softly wall to wall

and leaving most of the sea kayak safety stuff onshore. Extra Mace canister.
Para.

I can gas the border patrol.

with cyclocrosser parts n spares rearward of the gas tank on the first floor.

Sea kayaking strikes me as excessively wired in your discussion area. 'Paddlers' supposedly ask ( there is a finagle factor in commercial zones)

Ima lake and flat water kayaker can I paddle to Sucia and around the north side of Orcas Island.

Sure and walk across the Snake River Canyon on a tite rope

and when they think abt this there is the rescue by Coast Guard or private yachters option. 'Like' that is not a 'reality' but would they go if not ?

Cycling down US 1 or 9 are cyclists thinking 'well gee this is suicidal but yaknow the county ambulance can scrap me up n my health insurance is paid..prob not but that only my opinion.

Old April 4th 15, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/3/2015 7:05 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

However, wait until after Passover (starts tonite) for dispensing
psychoactive drugs. I don't think recereational or sales promotional
drugs are allowed during Pesach.

And speaking of Passover and technology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baQfqoZrEvI

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 4th 15, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 12:53:32 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/2/2015 3:22 PM, Clive George wrote:
On 02/04/2015 18:50, Ian Field wrote:

Well, let's see. The seat post takes two, the seat clamp and the seat
post clamp on the frame, the fender braces take another one, the
Shimano pedal adjustment another one, the caliper brakes yet another
one, so that is five and as I have some M5-.8 screws with a "brazier"
head that take a smaller key normal, that is six.

Well aren't you lucky.

8mm for cranks. 6mm for stem, one of the saddles and the bar end levers..
5mm for gear cables, the stem bolt and brake levers. 4mm for
rack/mudguard bolts, some bottle bosses and the other saddle. 3mm for
SPD adjustment, the other bottles and the downtube cable bosses. 2mm for
brake lever adjustment and rear axle grub screws (magura brakes, WI hub).

I think I did find a 2.5mm somewhere, but can't remember now. My toolkit
should have it in.

There's a couple of 10mm and 8mm hex head bolts too (M6, M5).

Adjustable spanner for the crank tool. (I have had occasion to use this
on a ride...).

Pozi for the klick-fix bracket.
Flat to adjust the bar end levers.

And to state it explicitly for any new riders that may be reading: Yes,
it's a very good idea to survey all the fasteners on your bike, and to
make sure you have a tool in your pack that can tighten anything that
might reasonably come loose.

Even on bike tours, I don't carry bottom bracket tools or headset tools
for my (now vintage) bikes, and never needed one on the road. I don't
carry a chain tool, although I did break a chain once on a mountain bike
ride. (I wired the chain ends together and ratchet-pedaled my way home
- fortunately not far.) But everything else, I think I can fix on the road.

My worst on-road failure was on an 80 mile super-hilly ride, where
almost everyone else was using a granny gear to make it up the hills.
My shifter cable snapped at the bar-end shifter, and I learned that the
spare cable I carried was too short to reach the derailleur. It turned
out to be surprisingly difficult to knot two cables together to make a
longer one!

On my first long-ish tour (SF to Vancouver Island BC), I was riding my first custom bike -- a sport tourer with pretenses of being a racing bike. I wanted it to be light, so I bought an Everest superlight chain and ER Pedals (Ti). One pedals broke while riding through Coos Bay Oregon, and I woke up a shop owner to sell me another pair. The chain broke near Raymond Washington, and I patched it back together on the road and then bought a replacement at a Coast to Coast store -- back when all road chains were the same.

I was on a tour in the Sierra and broke a bolt in an Avocet seat post and found a replacement at a tiny lake resort near the top of Carson Pass -- a guy had some spare outboard motor parts, and I found a bolt that worked well enough to get me home. Riding across the US, I had one pedal that clicked like crazy. I opened it up and found that there was no keyed washer between the locknut and the cone. In fact, there was no keyway in the axle -- so I filed one and got the proper washer from a shop in Missoula Montana -- from Sam Braxton. http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Braxton.htm I've had all sorts of things go wrong on tours, and the remarkable part was fixing it or finding someone to help, even in the middle of nowhere.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 4th 15, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

even in the middle of nowhere.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shim...AUoAQ&dpr=1.55

Consider ! leave California for Texas ?

self-balancing unicycle John Doe Unicycling 1 July 27th 11 09:44 AM
Balancing martin.phillips Unicycling 10 May 26th 06 11:08 PM
self balancing unicycle! nick Unicycling 12 April 28th 04 04:33 PM
Balancing wheels andrew Australia 13 February 27th 04 06:56 AM
Balancing logic (or something like that)... andrew_carter Unicycling 8 September 15th 03 11:15 PM