Jail Zuckerberg

Old March 4th 21, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Jail Zuckerberg

On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 1:30:53 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 8:29:29 PM UTC, wrote:
On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 07:49:03 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

We even hope to get rain Friday and Saturday that should make up the
majority of our shortage this year.

Obviously, you must have a cloud hanging over your head. Latest
guess(tm) is 0.8 inches over the next 7 days in your area. Bring your
rain gear, but leave your Noah's ark reconstruction at home.

The rain forecast and totals for the season are rather dismal for
Santa Cruz:
https://www.cityofsantacruz.com/home/showpublisheddocument?id=83291
We might have a miraculous deluge in late March but methinks it's
unlikely. This is precipitation for the next 168 hrs (7 days) from
NOAA WPC data:
https://www.pivotalweather.com/maps.php?ds=wpc&p=wpc_qpf_168h_p&r=us_sw
and 48 hr from NWS data:
https://www.pivotalweather.com/maps.php?ds=ndfd&p=ndfd_48hqpf&r=us_sw
If you want a lengthy but sane national forecasts, I recommend:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGjtp7iaeVmoVx-K7EGiYKA/videos
--
Jeff Liebermann
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Can I send you guys some of the never-ending rain from the Green and Beloved Isle? -- AJ

They prefer in taking the food out of the mouths of babies here and claiming that it is "climate change". That man-made global warming might have been pretty nice throughout most of the US last week.
Old March 5th 21, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 13:30:50 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
wrote:

Can I send you guys some of the never-ending rain from the Green and Beloved Isle? -- AJ

Sure. As long as it's not holy water and as long as you can turn it
off before the next 100 year flood or "atmospheric river" arrives:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_river

Locally, we have the Santa Margarita ground water basin,
https://smgwa.org
which is slowly being depleted. It's not currently in crisis mode
because most of the water consumed comes from surface sources. The
ground water is literally one million years old and not likely to be
recharged by rainfall. If you're offering water, we could use it
before the State sinks into the Pacific Ocean. Hurry please.

The California central valley could also use the some more Irish
water. The farmers are furiously pumping water out of the ground in
order to grow crops during an extended drought. In California, 80% of
the water goes to agricultu
"California Is Sinking - and Now Could Flood | KQED Newsroom" (2015)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT3lU8CYc9c (5:58)
The big problem is once the land subsides (sinks) additional rain will
not return the land to its prior elevation. Recharging the aquifer
can take centuries.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old March 5th 21, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I see that they reversed the forecast again and again saying that it will rain tomorrow late and Saturday and most of next week. Guess you're attempt at changing mother nature missed the mark yet again.
Old March 5th 21, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Another rant. Wow, you're a sad case!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 5th 21, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

They're only 'furiously pumping' and removing almond trees
because the water rights which came with the land deed were
abrogated in favor of the Delta Smelt which isn't even
useful as pet food meal.

https://reason.com/2012/02/29/delta-...y-farmers-the/

"several hundred thousand acres of farmland on the west side
of the Central Valley now lie fallow, and many thousands of
jobs have been lost."

Sadly, despite so much suffering, that game was not actually
worth the candle:
\https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...s-drought-fish

And so there you are- land actually dropping, ancient
groundwater reserves declining and no relief in sight.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 5th 21, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Delta smelt and groundwater are two entirely different things.

The water in the San Joaquin is publicly owned, and merely owning land in Fresno or thereabouts does not get you an allocation. The public pays for the pumping and storage, and but for the government and the Bureau of Reclamation, much of California would have no irrigation and no agriculture. Not withstanding Trumps war on fish -- part of his let's "get people whipped up" policy -- Californians have been dealing with water rights for generations. Water law is arcane, even in Oregon, land of water. https://law.justia.com/cases/oregon/...0/a138923.html (a groundwater case of mine -- basically pro bono).

-- Jay Beattie

Old March 5th 21, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 19:56:27 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

They're only 'furiously pumping' and removing almond trees
because the water rights which came with the land deed were
abrogated in favor of the Delta Smelt which isn't even
useful as pet food meal.

https://reason.com/2012/02/29/delta-...y-farmers-the/

"several hundred thousand acres of farmland on the west side
of the Central Valley now lie fallow, and many thousands of
jobs have been lost."

Yep. Proposals to pump Northern California water to Southern
California is another potential nightma
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Canal
Thanks to water rights battles in the courts, most of the surface
water is either protected or allocated. That's why farmers are
furiously pumping ground water. While the public sees debates and
battles over saving the fish and the environment, the real battle is
over allocations and diverting water to make a few land speculators
wealthy by converting useless dry land into irrigated agricultural
gold mines.

The Santa Margarita Aquifer that I mentioned is a minor skirmish in
the same battle. The latest is that some faction wants to combine the
San Lorenzo (SLV) and Scotts Valley SVLY) water districts. SLV is
broke from the effects of the CZU fire. Scotts Valley was unaffected,
has money, and is starting to see nitrates in the well water, which is
a sure sign that they're sucking too much water out of the ground. SLV
residents thing that SVLY wants to steal their money and take over the
proposed combined district. There was a Zoom meeting on the topic
tonight, but I missed it. I can watch the re-runs later.

It used to be if you want to know what's behind everything, just
follow the money. These days, it's just follow the water.

Sadly, despite so much suffering, that game was not actually
worth the candle:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...s-drought-fish

And so there you are- land actually dropping, ancient
groundwater reserves declining and no relief in sight.

Yep, that's a good summary of the situation. Note that about 80% of
the water used in California is for agricultural purposes to grow
crops that area sent all over the country and the world.
https://water.ca.gov/Programs/Water-Use-And-Efficiency/Agricultural-Water-Use-Efficiency
Banning the growing of Kiwifruit, which gobbles 8,000-10,000 gallons
per acre per day, would help a little:
http://sfp.ucdavis.edu/pubs/brochures/Kiwi/

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to sell.
(Apologies to Samuel Taylor Coleridge)
Old March 5th 21, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 7:10:36 AM UTC, wrote:

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to sell.
(Apologies to Samuel Taylor Coleridge)

..
In the Green and Beloved Isle a coupla years ago, they tried to make people pay to a national body for their water, previously delivered as part of the council rates. The given reason was that money needed to be raised to alleviate the water shortage. You can imagine the gales of laughter from all political shades. There was a rebellion (led by Sinn Fein, the political arm of the IRA) of people not paying. The boss of Nestle, a Swiss company, made speeches about how water isn't a human right; he's looking for something Nestle can turn a buck or a billion at now that there are fewer babies needing his corporation's present product. We've already seen that the Left doesn't mind a monstrous genocide because they don't believe a mosquito-free third world country is a human right or even a proper aspiration, and they don't think people have a human right to exhale CO2 and have it transmuted into Oxygen, so I foresee a day when water will be owned by one super-monstrous Nestle corporation, and if a few tens of millions of Californians die of thirst because they can't afford the scarcity price, they died to swell profits in a Swiss bank, for which their reward will be in another place.

Andre Jute
Always ready to step into Dean Swift's shoes.
Old March 5th 21, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Yes, riparian law is maddeningly complex.

However had the river irrigation system not been arbitrarily
stopped, the farmers would not have invested in groundwater
pumps.

Old March 5th 21, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Water law. Most of the farmers don't have riparian rights and are using water appropriated from elsewhere.

However had the river irrigation system not been arbitrarily
stopped, the farmers would not have invested in groundwater
pumps.

It's a public resource, and the public through its government, can decide whether it wants to turn the Delta into a salt marsh. It's far from "arbitrary." A lot of people want to protect instream flows, like downstream users -- including agriculture, fishing, etc., etc. Water wars have been going on for centuries -- the same battle but with different strategies, like the use of ESA to protect in stream flows.

The delta smelt was a nice shiny object for Trump to rile his base, but it was in large part a red herring and ignored other economic interests seeking protection. It wasn't all about Satan worshiping, fish-loving hippies who hate the US of A and almonds.

-- Jay Beattie.

Yet another RLJ goes to jail Alycidon UK 2 September 17th 15 06:36 PM
Drop off and go jail Alycidon UK 1 September 7th 15 09:36 PM
Flandis going to jail? dave a Racing 1 May 21st 10 03:19 AM
Is Ricco still in jail? [email protected] Racing 0 July 30th 08 02:45 PM
Is Ricco still in jail? [email protected] Racing 0 July 30th 08 07:19 AM