Patron Saint of Cyclists???????

Old October 30th 04, 08:00 PM
Maggie

Default Patron Saint of Cyclists???????

The guy who encouraged me to start riding a bike said that he
visits a little church in Italy where the patron Saint of Cyclists
resides. He said cyclists have their jersys and bicycles hanging in
the rafters of this church. Supposedly cyclists go there for
inspiration. He is an avid cyclist and great guy. He claims the church
is in Northern Italy and I forget what the Saints name is. Does
anyone know if this is true. Or is he just yanking my bicycle chain?
Peace and stuff
Old October 30th 04, 08:29 PM
the black rose

Maggie wrote:
The guy who encouraged me to start riding a bike said that he
visits a little church in Italy where the patron Saint of Cyclists
resides.

http://bicycleaustin.info/saint.html

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old October 30th 04, 08:31 PM
the black rose

Oops, this one's better (I thought the last one was this one).

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/mary0004.htm

-km

Old October 30th 04, 11:28 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

The guy who encouraged me to start riding a bike said that he
visits a little church in Italy where the patron Saint of Cyclists
resides. He said cyclists have their jersys and bicycles hanging in
the rafters of this church. Supposedly cyclists go there for
inspiration. He is an avid cyclist and great guy. He claims the church
is in Northern Italy and I forget what the Saints name is. Does
anyone know if this is true. Or is he just yanking my bicycle chain?
Peace and stuff

Yup - Madonna del Ghisallo I think (from dim recesses of the amoeba that is my
brain cell). There's a similar place in Spain too I think... ah yes.. France
too... Notre Dame des Cyclistes in France somewhere between Bordeaux & Lourdes.
& in Spain.. Nuestra Senora de something... down in the south I think.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old October 31st 04, 01:36 AM
Claire Petersky

"the black rose" wrote in message
Oops, this one's better (I thought the last one was this one).

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/mary0004.htm

This one's pretty good: http://www.netcowork.it/artcult/madghis/ghise.htm.
Pop it into http://www.world.altavista.com to translate. I love machine
translations. It gives you sentences like these:

"Hour is in order to go in port also the Museum of the Cycling of flank to
the Sanctuary, that it will expose history, data and cimeli of the world of
the Cycling. The place is goal of numerous pilgrimages, contests sport and
manifestations."

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old October 31st 04, 04:29 AM
Mike Kruger

Yup - Madonna del Ghisallo I think (from dim recesses of

the amoeba
that is my brain cell). There's a similar place in Spain

too I
think... ah yes.. France too... Notre Dame des Cyclistes

in France
somewhere between Bordeaux & Lourdes. & in Spain.. Nuestra

Senora de
something... down in the south I think.

And I'd thought it was St. Velo d'Rome

Old October 31st 04, 06:41 AM
Rick Warner

On 30 Oct 2004 12:00:45 -0700, (Maggie)
wrote:

The guy who encouraged me to start riding a bike said that he
visits a little church in Italy where the patron Saint of Cyclists
resides. He said cyclists have their jersys and bicycles hanging in
the rafters of this church. Supposedly cyclists go there for
inspiration. He is an avid cyclist and great guy. He claims the church
is in Northern Italy and I forget what the Saints name is. Does
anyone know if this is true. Or is he just yanking my bicycle chain?
Peace and stuff

The Saint is a Madonna, Madonna di Ghisallo in a small church in the
town of Magreglio, just a bit south of Bellagio in the Lago di Como
area.

Here is a picture of the Madonna that I took this summer:

http://www.cycle-tours.com/images/ma...i-ghisallo.jpg

If you look carefully you will note a photo of Marco Pantani just in
front of the altar and to the left of center. This was a memorial as
I was there just after Pantani's death.

Here is an external photo of the church with my bike in front:

http://www.cycle-tours.com/images/ta...t-ghisallo.jpg

Note that the church is really quite small.

And finally, here is a photo of the bike ridden in the 1949 Tour de
France by Fausto Coppi, one of the many bikes on display in the small
chapel:

http://www.cycle-tours.com/images/coppi.jpg

If you look carefully you will note that the bike just behind it was
Eddie Merckxx' from 1977.

A new cycling museum is being constructed next to the church and once
it is completed all the cycling display stuff will be moved into the
museum building.

If you are in the Como area it is worth the trek up the hill for a
visit. The road up from Bellagio is a bit of a climb, 14% in part,
but not too bad; it is easier from the southern end. Here is the
elevation profile for the climb; the church is literally at the
highest point:

http://www.cycle-tours.com/images/profiles/ghisallo.jpg

- rick
Old October 31st 04, 07:43 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

It must be. most Europeans are avid biker.

Sadly, you are wrong. Generalising about Europeans is like generalising that
all Americans are like Dubya. Some countries have a very strong cycling
culture, others don't.

Cheers, helen s
(European)

**$om $