Dangerous Drivers Idea

Old August 17th 04, 04:06 AM
Anthony

Default Dangerous Drivers Idea

I was thinking about this idea, maybe its been suggested before, however I
thought I would post it to see the feedback.

Like everyone else I am sick to death of Drivers who just hate Cyclists, and
always scare them, give them a near miss at high speed, or throw objects at
them.
I know many drivers who brag about how they hate Cyclists, they say, the day
they pay rego, I will let them ride on the road, otherwise, I will run them
into the gutter.

I live in Brisbane, and have seen many near misses, and also we know about
recent Hit and runs involving Cyclists, and a few ending in a Fatality.

Ok you can call the Police and give them a rego and time, and thats as far
as it goes I think.

But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle Queensland and Bicycle
Victoria ect ect, who have some power, is to set up a Dangerous Drivers
Database.
We would then report any dangerous act to them, with Time Place and Rego,
and incident, and they would log it in the database.
When they get a few of the same drivers, which they will, because these
drivers will always treat cyclists the same I am sure.
Then they would pass it on to Police, who would hopefully pay that driver a
visit with the evidence, and give him a stern warning about his dangerous
antics.

I am sure this alone would stop or scare most dangerous drivers into
thinking twice about trying to run down a cyclist in future, because of our
database he will be tracked down.

I think its worth a try, it might save one of us from serious injury, or
worse still Death.

Also this could have some media coverage, to relay the message around, that
Dangerous drivers, your time is up, us Cyclists deserve a fair go.

What do you think ?

Anthony

Old August 17th 04, 04:11 AM
Ben

This morning JJJ had a joke about hitting Cyclists, saying they should be
worth more than hitting a granny.
Well done JJJ, you lost me as a listener.

I think this is a good idea if the Police would do their part.

Old August 17th 04, 04:22 AM
hippy

Anthony Wrote:

I was thinking about this idea, maybe its been suggested before,
however I thought I would post it to see the feedback.

But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle Queensland and
Bicycle Victoria ect ect, who have some power, is to set up a
Dangerous Drivers Database.

It has been discussed before, sort of..
I remember a thread 6 months ago (maybe) with the idea of creating
a website with rego numbers of stupid drivers on it.

I just looked it up. It was almost 1 year ago (27th Aug, rather tha
17th)
and was in a thread called "psychos":

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...Aaus.bic ycle

OR:

http://tinyurl.com/3ugof

hipp

--
hippy

Old August 17th 04, 04:37 AM
eddiec

Using a reputable organisations such as BQld or BV is a good start i
terms of providing it with validity and respect, as would be finding
friendly bobby somewhere up the food-chain in the Police to make i
work and treat it appropriately...

I think it could work - the hard thing about it is (a) will it actuall
change driver behaviour if it only ever constitutes a 'warning', (b) d
we have enough solidarity and information sharing across the cyclis
population to make sure that most people knew about it, and (c) woul
this inevitably lead to motorists responding with "well, then we wan
to make sure bikes are registered so we can report them when they blo
through red lights, etc. etc."...

I don't know the answers to those questions - but I can see them a
issues. Nothing that couldn't be worked around if a few good motivate
people in the right places were behind it

--
eddiec

Old August 17th 04, 05:09 AM
aeek

eddiec Wrote:
(c) would this inevitably lead to motorists responding with "well, the
we want to make sure bikes are registered so we can report them whe
they blow through red lights, etc. etc."

which I don't get, want to IDENTIFY so they demand registration - no
the same thing.
And bike frames have diversified since they had uniform number plates

A related issue - calls for front number plates on motorcycles

--
aeek

Old August 17th 04, 05:21 AM
warrwych

Ben Wrote:
This morning JJJ had a joke about hitting Cyclists, saying they should
be
worth more than hitting a granny.
Well done JJJ, you lost me as a listener.

[/color]

I heard this also - my understanding was that it started as an ironic
rant from Adam Spencer (who is a keen cycling advocate) and Will
Anderson (whose sense of humour is that of a 6 yr old max) took it from
there..

--
warrwych

Old August 17th 04, 05:25 AM
Claes

Anthony Wrote:
[...]

Not sure what the rules are in Oz, but where I come from that would be
highly illegal. You need a permit to regiester people. What is the
story here? I have only been out a couple of times here in Melbourne,
and have not gotten any serious agro against me. Just one cabbie that
started shouting at me for some reason. He got the bird from me.

--
Claes

Old August 17th 04, 10:19 AM

"Anthony" == Anthony writes:

Anthony Like everyone else I am sick to death of Drivers who just
Anthony hate Cyclists, and always scare them, give them a near miss
Anthony at high speed, or throw objects at them. I know many
Anthony drivers who brag about how they hate Cyclists, they say,
Anthony the day they pay rego, I will let them ride on the road,
Anthony otherwise, I will run them into the gutter.

Actually in over a year's cycling I've found that motorists generally
are very good. I've had two *incidents* both of which were bus drivers.
Maybe it's just the way I ride, or maybe Melbourne motorists are more
tolerant.

Anthony But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle
Anthony Queensland and Bicycle Victoria ect ect, who have some
Anthony power, is to set up a Dangerous Drivers Database. We would
Anthony then report any dangerous act to them, with Time Place and
Anthony Rego, and incident, and they would log it in the database.

I think that's a terrible idea. That's nothing more than ``he said she
said'', where is your proof?

Anthony When they get a few of the same drivers, which they will,
Anthony because these drivers will always treat cyclists the same I
Anthony am sure.

Or an individual out to cause another individual grief. The same sort
of thing has been tried in other circles and failed for that reason.
With no proof such a scheme is too open to abuse to be considered.

Anthony I am sure this alone would stop or scare most dangerous
Anthony drivers into thinking twice about trying to run down a
Anthony cyclist in future, because of our database he will be
Anthony tracked down.

Or it could have the opposite effect and turn many drivers against
cyclists. After all, what's their recourse when a cyclist runs a red
causing them to deviate from their course?

Anthony I think its worth a try, it might save one of us from
Anthony serious injury, or worse still Death.

I doubt it. If anything it will cause more friction between cyclists
and motorists, the last thing we need.

Anthony Also this could have some media coverage, to relay the
Anthony message around, that Dangerous drivers, your time is up, us
Anthony Cyclists deserve a fair go.

The best thing cyclists can do to get a fair go is to obey the bloody
law. That means not cycling through red lights etc etc. It's that more
than anything that goes against us.
--
Regards
Euan
Old August 17th 04, 10:51 AM
NickZX6R

Anthony wrote:
I was thinking about this idea, maybe its been suggested before, however I
thought I would post it to see the feedback.

Like everyone else I am sick to death of Drivers who just hate Cyclists, and
always scare them, give them a near miss at high speed, or throw objects at
them.
I know many drivers who brag about how they hate Cyclists, they say, the day
they pay rego, I will let them ride on the road, otherwise, I will run them
into the gutter.

You should move somewhere else then. I wouldn't live in a place where
there were so many lunatics. Seriously, if it's that bad then you should
live somewhere else for your own safety.

How many kms do you do? I hardly ever come into contact with malicious
drivers that are a danger to me. There are plenty of morons not paying
attention but I see very few drivers like you describe.

I live in Brisbane, and have seen many near misses, and also we know about
recent Hit and runs involving Cyclists, and a few ending in a Fatality.

Ok you can call the Police and give them a rego and time, and thats as far
as it goes I think.

But my idea would be, for organizations like Bicycle Queensland and Bicycle
Victoria ect ect, who have some power, is to set up a Dangerous Drivers
Database.
We would then report any dangerous act to them, with Time Place and Rego,
and incident, and they would log it in the database.

Where do you draw the line?

How about a database of cyclists who run red lights and ride on the
footpath?

And people who throw rubbish on the ground or jay walk?

When they get a few of the same drivers, which they will, because these
drivers will always treat cyclists the same I am sure.

If that's so, putting them on a database isn't going to change their
behaviour.

Then they would pass it on to Police, who would hopefully pay that driver a
visit with the evidence, and give him a stern warning about his dangerous
antics.

I am sure this alone would stop or scare most dangerous drivers into
thinking twice about trying to run down a cyclist in future, because of our
database he will be tracked down.

I think its worth a try, it might save one of us from serious injury, or
worse still Death.

I understand your motive. Maybe I'm just cynical, but there will always
be ignorant people who don't give a **** and some of them will be
dangerous. An infinite number of databases and reports and laws will not
stop some people from being ignorant morons.

Also this could have some media coverage, to relay the message around, that
Dangerous drivers, your time is up, us Cyclists deserve a fair go.

You reckon? I reckon most people don't even consider that cyclists
actually exist. Cyclists complaining about their lot in life won't
even rate a mention.

After re-reading my post, I have concluded that I am indeed cynical

--
Nick

SUV Protest Bill Henry General 353 November 30th 05 12:58 AM
Dozy motorists ignorant of speed limit laws. Simon Mason UK 538 May 20th 04 10:48 PM
"Ticket" to give to harrasing drivers Robert Haston Social Issues 12 May 11th 04 04:43 AM
Why do bicyclist have to try the patience of automobile drivers? Goodwinds General 203 April 5th 04 06:29 PM
Fame at last! [warning: contains 5m*th] Just zis Guy, you know? UK 308 March 29th 04 12:00 AM