Beautiful morning for a bike ride... but where's me gears??

Old November 18th 05, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Beautiful morning for a bike ride... but where's me gears??

Morning all. Did 12 miles on my morning commute, mostly downhill
towards the Severn Estuary. Lots of frost and orange and red and a
thick layer of fog over the river (you could just see the top of the
bridge poking through).

Last time I had my MTB out it had 27 gears. This morning I had three
and a bit... both the shifters seemed really sluggish, like there isn't
enough tension in the springs or cables to return the buttons to their
'normal' position.

What do you think, new cables? New shifters? A whole lots of WD40 (OK,
proper bike grease.)?

Cheers..

Old November 18th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Simon L" wrote in message
oups.com...
Morning all. Did 12 miles on my morning commute, mostly downhill
towards the Severn Estuary. Lots of frost and orange and red and a
thick layer of fog over the river (you could just see the top of the
bridge poking through).

Last time I had my MTB out it had 27 gears. This morning I had three
and a bit... both the shifters seemed really sluggish, like there isn't
enough tension in the springs or cables to return the buttons to their
'normal' position.

Probably got iced up as it was below zero C. Try taking out the inner
cables, dry them and then put them pack with a thin layer of light oil.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old November 18th 05, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon L wrote:
Morning all. Did 12 miles on my morning commute, mostly downhill
towards the Severn Estuary. Lots of frost and orange and red and a
thick layer of fog over the river (you could just see the top of the
bridge poking through).

Last time I had my MTB out it had 27 gears. This morning I had three
and a bit... both the shifters seemed really sluggish, like there isn't
enough tension in the springs or cables to return the buttons to their
'normal' position.

What do you think, new cables? New shifters? A whole lots of WD40 (OK,
proper bike grease.)?

Cheers..

Iused my fixed this morning, 2 miles of descending with my brakes on.
No gears, no problem.

Old November 18th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:58:56 -0800, Simon L wrote:

Last time I had my MTB out it had 27 gears. This morning I had three and a
bit... both the shifters seemed really sluggish, like there isn't enough
tension in the springs or cables to return the buttons to their 'normal'
position.

What do you think, new cables? New shifters? A whole lots of WD40 (OK,
proper bike grease.)?

New bike.
Tell the Manage
Old November 18th 05, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I think my computer was iced up this morning, apart from the thermometer.
It said I was doing zero MPH when the thermo said it was below zero degrees
C.
When the temp creapt up to about 1 C the speedo crept up to about 5 MPH.
Is this a common problem with wireless comps?

"Simon Mason" wrote

Probably got iced up as it was below zero C.

Old November 18th 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

POHB wrote:
I think my computer was iced up this morning, apart from the thermometer.
It said I was doing zero MPH when the thermo said it was below zero degrees
C.

Perhaps it was actually displaying degrees Kelvin, because of course at
absolute zero everything /is/ stationary. :-)

R.
Old November 18th 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I 'spose batteries work less well when they're cold. My (wired) speedo
was on the blink this morning too.

Old November 18th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

POHB wrote:
I think my computer was iced up this morning, apart from the thermometer.
It said I was doing zero MPH when the thermo said it was below zero degrees
C.
When the temp creapt up to about 1 C the speedo crept up to about 5 MPH.
Is this a common problem with wireless comps?

Yes, seems to be.

--
Dave...

Old November 18th 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MSeries wrote:

Iused my fixed this morning, 2 miles of descending with my brakes on.
No gears, no problem.

And the 2 miles of ascent tonight?
Old November 18th 05, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mike K Smith wrote:

MSeries wrote:

Iused my fixed this morning, 2 miles of descending with my brakes on.
No gears, no problem.

And the 2 miles of ascent tonight?

He's got a gear low enough, that's why he was descending with the
brakes on!