The Speed Trap - BBC1 Scotland

Old November 9th 05, 10:57 PM
John B

Default The Speed Trap - BBC1 Scotland

Matt B wrote:

Do you think that all speed limits are appropriate for all conditions at all
times?

Of course they are not. What a silly question.
Very often they are far too high and a good driver will take conditions
into account.

I'm surprised you didn't know that [1]

[1] no, I'm not.

John B
Old November 9th 05, 11:12 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

Matt B wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
David Martin wrote:

So, what happened? I saw about 30 seconds before I had to go out.

It was the usual stuff from Paul Smith. One interesting point the
program brought out was that in recent years depite more cameras
being installed and the number of tickets being issued increasing
vastly, the number of drivers getting banned through totting up has
remained constant at about 14,000 per year. . The program suggested this
might be because most drivers with points moderate their
behavior to avoid getting more points and the cameras may be having
the desired affect.. I did find myself shouting at the tv that it
doesn't matter how many cameras there are if you don't speed.

Do you think that all speed limits are appropriate for all conditions
at all times?

I can't think of a time when a speed limit will be so unacceptably low as to
be in need of breaking.

That's for my definition of unacceptable, which is unlikely to tally with
the definition of unacceptable for those who use these post-rationalised
excuses to justify their desire for freedom from responsibility for their
actions and to deny the risk imposed on others in return for an
unsatisfiable feeling of freedom.

--
Ambrose

Old November 9th 05, 11:13 PM
Matt B

"John B" wrote in message
Matt B wrote:

Do you think that all speed limits are appropriate for all conditions at
all
times?

Of course they are not. What a silly question.

Elaborate.

Very often they are far too high and a good driver will take conditions
into account.

What can we deduce from the fact that you only got 50% of the correct
answer?

I'm surprised you didn't know that [1]

What makes you think I didn't?

[1] no, I'm not.

Are you serious?

--
Matt B

Old November 9th 05, 11:18 PM
Matt B

"Ambrose Nankivell" wrote in message
Matt B wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
David Martin wrote:

So, what happened? I saw about 30 seconds before I had to go out.

It was the usual stuff from Paul Smith. One interesting point the
program brought out was that in recent years depite more cameras
being installed and the number of tickets being issued increasing
vastly, the number of drivers getting banned through totting up has
remained constant at about 14,000 per year. . The program suggested this
might be because most drivers with points moderate their
behavior to avoid getting more points and the cameras may be having
the desired affect.. I did find myself shouting at the tv that it
doesn't matter how many cameras there are if you don't speed.

Do you think that all speed limits are appropriate for all conditions
at all times?

I can't think of a time when a speed limit will be so unacceptably low as
to be in need of breaking.

Can you think of a time when one might be unacceptably high?

--
Matt B

Old November 9th 05, 11:54 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

Matt B wrote:
"Ambrose Nankivell" wrote in message
Matt B wrote:
ups.com...
Do you think that all speed limits are appropriate for all
conditions at all times?

I can't think of a time when a speed limit will be so unacceptably
low as to be in need of breaking.

Can you think of a time when one might be unacceptably high?

Yes. For example the 70mph limit on the road that runs past where I work.

--
Ambrose
Old November 9th 05, 11:58 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Matt B" typed

I can't think of a time when a speed limit will be so unacceptably low as
to be in need of breaking.

Can you think of a time when one might be unacceptably high?

If you can't, I worry...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 10th 05, 12:30 AM
Tim Woodall

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 23:54:29 -0000,
Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
"Ambrose Nankivell" wrote in message

Can you think of a time when one might be unacceptably high?

Yes. For example the 70mph limit on the road that runs past where I work.

But it's only unacceptably high because drivers are incapable of picking
an appropriate speed on their own. Thereby justifying the use of speed
limits to keep them under control. And because they are a crude
instrument with only one setting they have to be set at an approprate
level for bad conditions

Tim.

and there was light.

Old November 10th 05, 01:58 AM

Matt B wrote:

Do you think that all speed limits are appropriate for all conditions at all
times?

No. And your point is?
Iain

Old November 10th 05, 09:50 AM
Dave Larrington

LSMike wrote:

It's perfectly legal to avoid paying tax, it's evading it that'll get
you in trouble.

As in the Old Joak:

Did you learn the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion from:

a. your father
b. your accountant
c. your cell-mate

?

Whatever it is, I'd like it in mango & passion fruit, please.

Old November 10th 05, 10:57 AM
davek

Matt B wrote:
Do you think that all speed limits are appropriate for all conditions at all
times?

No, most of them are way too high.

In any case, even if it were potentially "safe" to drive faster than the
speed limit on certain roads in certain conditions at certain times of
the day, it remains the case that motorists do not have the god-given
right to determine for themselves how fast they are "allowed" to drive.

After all, what's the hurry?

The truth is that it is extremely rare that there is any good excuse for
driving faster than the speed limit - fast, aggressive driving doesn't
reduce journey times by a significant margin due to other factors, such
as traffic (and even if you can get to your destination two minutes
sooner, so what? how often are those two minutes going to make an
important difference to your life?), so really it just comes down to
drivers going faster because it is more enjoyable/less boring, and since
most journeys are made for utility purposes rather than leisure (ie
driving for the sake of it), enjoyment should not be a factor in
deciding driving style. If you want to get enjoyment out of your
driving, get yourself on to a race track, where speed is both
appropriate and [relatively] safe.

d.