Nature Valley Girl

Old December 5th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

Default Nature Valley Girl

MagillaGorilla wrote:
So are you saying Connie Carpenter made no money in cycling or that she was an Olympic
fraud? Take your pick, O-CarlWan.

Amateur? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what
you think it means. Dumbass.

Bob Schwartz
Old December 5th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
So are you saying Connie Carpenter made no money in cycling or that she was an Olympic
fraud? Take your pick, O-CarlWan.

Amateur? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what
you think it means. Dumbass.

Bob Schwartz

Dude,

Lance Armstrong and Jonas Carney delayed turning pro until 1993 because they both didn't
want to make themselves ineligible for the '92 Barcelona Games. What definition of amateur
are you using?

Back in 1984, it was a foregone conclusion that amateur status meant you did not make any
money from your sport. To do so was to risk being made ineligible for the Olympics. What
other definition is there?

Magilla

Old December 5th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
What does Carmichael in '96 have to do with Twigg in '84?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C0A9679482 60
Apple Lap. 1981. Nitz. $2500. What's that worth in today's money?
Anywhere from $5k to $11k, depending in which relative value calculator
you use. What place is that equivalent to on GC at the Tour?

IIRC, it was a bit of a cluster, because they rode over a steel grate
bridge which wasn't cool. I think Leslie Moore won the women's race.

Jacqui Bradley (Jeff Bradley's sister) won the women's race at the
Mohawk Classic. $15,000. 1981. ($34k to $66k in today's dollars) What's
that worth in today's money on GC at the Tour (for the _men_)? In the
realm of 5th place on GC. Total prize list $71 grand. And it wasn't
split up between 14 different masters categories, either.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C1A9679482 60

WTF is a Carney abortion?

Keep talkin' Magilla Ahmadinejad, juuust keeeeeep on talking.
Okay, so you split $10k between your 5 teammates and you got $2,000. The Mohawk
Classic purse sounds better but how long did that race last with that kind of prize
money. I would bet no longer than 1 or 2 years.

$10k is $10k and splitting is splitting. It doesn't matter if it was 27
years ago in Jersey or a couple of months ago in Minnesota. It's
irrelevant to the issue at hand.

You're right about the lifespan of the race. I don't know, but what's
the average lifespan of any big $ bike race in the US? How many years
did the Triple Crown (Thrift Drug, West Virginia, CoreStates) that
offered a $1M prize to the winer of all three last? The Super Duper Tour
of America, like many others, can't even get beyond a webpage.

You cherry picked the richest races in the season and then talked about what the
winner would get. 95% of the women made the equivalent of what a Walmart cashier
makes in a summer.

Magilla

ADHD Monkey,

To refresh your memory, this is relevant to your viewpoint that amateurs
did not receive money.

So they competed in the all-amateur Olympics as frauds in violation of the IOC rules at
the time that said athletes could make no money in their sports? Since Connie Carpenter
Bee retired right after the 1984 Games, she technically had to retire with no earned
income at all from cycling or she would have been ineligible to compete in the '84
Olympics.

So are you saying Connie Carpenter made no money in cycling or that she was an Olympic
fraud? Take your pick, O-CarlWan.

Thanks,

Magilla

Do you consider yourself to have been an amateur fraud?
Old December 5th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...3BA1575AC0A967

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...36A15753C1A967
[...]

The "Tour of America" "plan" doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the
same breath as actual races. It's less real than unicorns, and less
realistic than Chinese Democracy*.

*The GnR album, not the concept of political self-determination in the
People's Republic of China.

Old December 5th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
[...]

No, because the chief never stomped my ass.

Magilla

Old December 5th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
[...]

You need to capitalize the C, or Gibby will sit on you.
Old December 5th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Bob Schwartz wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:
So are you saying Connie Carpenter made no money in cycling or that she was an Olympic
fraud? Take your pick, O-CarlWan.

Amateur? You keep using that word. I do not think it means what
you think it means. Dumbass.

Bob Schwartz

Dude,

Lance Armstrong and Jonas Carney delayed turning pro until 1993 because they both didn't
want to make themselves ineligible for the '92 Barcelona Games. What definition of amateur
are you using?

Back in 1984, it was a foregone conclusion that amateur status meant you did not make any
money from your sport. To do so was to risk being made ineligible for the Olympics. What
other definition is there?

Magilla

Says who? And what difference was there between pre'84 and post'84? Name
one rider who was deeked from the Olympics for receiving money?
Old December 6th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

MagillaGorilla wrote:

I meant pre-1984. You call Somerville prize money? Those other races gave
away food stamps too. Longo's the only one who made money in that group
(obviously I knew that). The rest waited tables when they retired (unless they
married Kiefel, in which case they unpacked boxes in his shop for 2 years before
divorcing him.).

Twigg. Carmichael schooled her and sent her home packing @ the '96 Games.
7-11? What - they get some free Big Gulps? How many of them had to pay for a
Carney abortion? Time for J-Me to work a back-hoe now that Cheerwine folded.

Magilla

I'm still waiting for you to explain:

1) How Carmichael "schooling" Twigg and sending her packing has anything
to do with pre-'84 salary.

2) What is a Carney abortion?

3) WTF any of it has to do with working a back-hoe.

Old December 6th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Back in 1984, it was a foregone conclusion that amateur status meant you did not make any
money from your sport. To do so was to risk being made ineligible for the Olympics. What
other definition is there?

Dumbass,

Amateur status did not mean what you think it meant. Are you
really under the impression that everyone got merchandise
prizes?

Not only did I occasionally make money from the sport without
jeopardizing my amateur status, I also accelerated in velodrome
turns. Now stop wetting the bed and move along.

Bob Schwartz