Katie Cop-Out Cries about Prize Money

Old August 19th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Default Katie Cop-Out Cries about Prize Money

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/comp...e-pools-unfair

Question: Would Katie being crying about the prize money and lack of
sponsorship if she had won worlds, which would have prevented her
sponsor from bailing on her?

http://cxmagazine.com/compton-loses-...s-mtb-schedule

Thanks,

Magilla

Old August 19th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 19, 10:27*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/comp...-in-prize-pool...

Question: Would Katie being crying about the prize money and lack of
sponsorship if she had won worlds, which would have prevented her
sponsor from bailing on her?

http://cxmagazine.com/compton-loses-...educes-mtb-sch...

Thanks,

Magilla

Maybe. Times are tough all over. Win or lose, regardless of gender,
cyclists have expenses to meet. We're in the first decade of the 21st
century; in pro sport of any variety, there should be no room for a
prize money gap. Sure, World Champions can get better "appearance
fees", but prize money should be equal. The argument in tennis has
always been that women only play 3 sets; men play 5. Sport isn't
piecework. Unfortunately, it comes down to visibility for the event
and rider sponsors. Cyclists have dozens of logos on their kit,
everyone knows who's riding whose bike, wearing whose shoes, etc.
Events need spectators, concession sales, etc. It's all a commercial
enterprise/boondoggle. Ultimately, the riders are the product-
regardless of gender , and they should be paid the same amounts.

Tom
Old August 19th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 19, 11:27*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/comp...-in-prize-pool...

If I hadn't looked at the URL, I would have thought that to be an
article from The Onion: "Female cyclist discovers that life is unfair"

Old August 19th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Aug 19, 10:18*am, " wrote:
[...]

We're not talking about tenured grade school teachers in a public
school system. There is absolutely no basis for equal prize money, if
as you say, the riders are the product. The riders who bring in more
revenues get more money, the riders who don't bring in the revenues
don't get as much. Like you said, WC's get bigger appearance fees.
Why? Because they bring in the spectators.

As in most commercial ventures, the market sets itself and in the case
of pro cycling the market has decided that there is little value added
by female pros, and thus they aren't paid very much. I know this
won't ever happen, but imagine these scenarios: normal CX race, men
and women racers. Now, imagine two variations, one just men and one
just women. My guess would be that you'd see almost no decrease in
the turnout of spectators for the men only event, and you'd see very
few people show up to watch only the women.

I'm not saying it's right (or wrong), just saying that's how it is.
Old August 19th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ultimately, the riders are the product-
regardless of gender , and they should be paid the same amounts

when women's fields are as deep as the men, and when the racing is of
the same caliber (though not necessarily the same speed) ... then the
prize lists should be equal.

either that or they need to make it more entertaining by wearing (the
equivalent of) tennis dresses.

Old August 19th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

" wrote:

Ultimately, the riders are the product-
regardless of gender , and they should be paid the same amounts

when women's fields are as deep as the men, and when the racing is of
the same caliber (though not necessarily the same speed) ... then the
prize lists should be equal.

either that or they need to make it more entertaining by wearing (the
equivalent of) tennis dresses.

Dumbass,

It has nothing to do with relative competition or depth of field. It
has to do with media impressions and TV ratings. It doesn't matter how
good the women basketball players in the WNBA get...they will never make
the millions the men in the NBA make because they don't have the TV
contracts the NBA has.

Women are decades behind every men's sport except for tennis and perhaps
golf.

Thanks,

Magilla

Old August 19th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

" wrote:

On Aug 19, 11:27*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/comp...-in-prize-pool...

If I hadn't looked at the URL, I would have thought that to be an
article from The Onion: "Female cyclist discovers that life is unfair"

If Katie wanted to find a sponsor for this year, she should have tried some
make-up instead of crying to the media.

Thanks,

Magilla

Old August 19th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
nobody

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:27:05 -0400, MagillaGorilla
wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/comp...e-pools-unfair

Question: Would Katie being crying about the prize money and lack of
sponsorship if she had won worlds, which would have prevented her
sponsor from bailing on her?

http://cxmagazine.com/compton-loses-...s-mtb-schedule

Thanks,

Magilla

What is odd about this rider's face? Forehead doesn't look right.

Old August 19th 09, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

Nobody wrote:
What is odd about this rider's face? Forehead doesn't look right.

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phot...s-unfair/22593)
May seem that way because her eyebrows are light and low.

In other news, http://news.google.com/news?q=Caster+Semenya
Old August 19th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
nobody

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:54:46 +0200, Susan Walker
wrote:

Nobody wrote:
What is odd about this rider's face? Forehead doesn't look right.

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phot...s-unfair/22593)
May seem that way because her eyebrows are light and low.

In other news, http://news.google.com/news?q=Caster+Semenya

It is the part above the eyebrows, but not the shade, and something.
men have and women, typically do not. Speculation on what causes that
will be left up to the gentle reader.

PS sorry for getting cranky about your correcting my abbrev. Was in a
crappy mood.

Stage win prize money aeiouy Racing 6 July 19th 09 06:15 AM
re-distributing of prize money [email protected] Racing 0 August 8th 06 01:25 AM
Take his paychecks, trophy, prize money, and racing license Froid Landis Racing 0 August 5th 06 11:11 AM
Discovery Prize Money Frank Drackman Racing 4 July 24th 06 10:57 PM
Good prize money. Marty Australia 0 May 9th 05 11:01 AM