Kenny Williams confesses to doping.

Old November 9th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

Default Kenny Williams confesses to doping.

marco wrote:
Susan Walker wrote:
I don't get it. Why would anyone want to test masters racers for
doping? Non-Elite racers should a) not be dope-tested and b) not get
any prize money or salary.

Dearest Susan: Why do you feel so strongly about this? Do you think that
either your (a) or (b) detract in some way from Elite level racing?

Dope testing is part of enforcing the rules of the sport. Why is that
any different than a weekend soccer league that employs referees for
games? The players bear the costs for referees, as it should be. The
expense for dope testing should be borne by the categories being tested,
through license or entry fees and perhaps as a tax on prize lists. I
don't think most racers would object to that.

Dope testing is different from refereeing in the degree of the expense.
Masters racing just isn't that important. Quality dope testing doesn't
come cheap. Masters racing doesn't justify the cost.

Don't doubt for a minute that even the *threat* of being tested doesn't
work as a deterrent. I know of a highly-suspect masters rider who flew
across the country for a big race and then when he discovered that
(surprise) testing would be done, he turned around and flew home.

Next time you drive to a race, take note of the people that do crazy
and dangerous stuff in order to gain an advantage on the highway. These
are people that could kill you. Now, are you going to lose sleep over
some douchebag that charges up for an event that emotionally balanced
people treat as a hobby?

For me, as I pondered this question on the way to events that I knew
would have riders that were charging, the answer was 'no'.

But back to Kenny Williams... In his confession letter, which he only
wrote AFTER getting caught, he implies this was a one-time occurrence.
Pretty hard to believe. I'm curious to hear comments from those rbr
folks who know or knew him.

Well, given that its the 2nd time someone in the household has been
popped it does seem hard to believe it could be a one-time thing for
him.

Bob Schwartz
Old November 9th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Bob Schwartz" wrote in message
marco wrote:

Don't doubt for a minute that even the *threat* of being tested doesn't
work as a deterrent. I know of a highly-suspect masters rider who flew
across the country for a big race and then when he discovered that
(surprise) testing would be done, he turned around and flew home.

Next time you drive to a race, take note of the people that do crazy
and dangerous stuff in order to gain an advantage on the highway. These
are people that could kill you. Now, are you going to lose sleep over
some douchebag that charges up for an event that emotionally balanced
people treat as a hobby?

For me, as I pondered this question on the way to events that I knew
would have riders that were charging, the answer was 'no'.

And of course you are entirely correct. When I was racing I'd ride in the
front three for the entire race and then back off during the spring because
there were people who would kill or die to win and a Cat 4/5 race simply
want that important to me.

Even here we've had people criticize me because I'd back off when the nut
cases were pushing people or cutting them off to get first place in a race
that means absolutely nothing.

Old November 9th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

On Nov 8, 8:19*pm, "Tom Kunich" wrote:

And of course you are entirely correct. When I was racing I'd ride in the
front three for the entire race and then back off during the spring because
there were people who would kill or die to win and a Cat 4/5 race simply
want that important to me.

Dumbass -

Cat 4s and 5s aren't aggressive. They're not good enough to be
aggressive.

They run into each other because they're beginners at mass start
racing and haven't raced enough to fine tune their bike handling
skills.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
Old November 9th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Nov 7, 5:33*pm, Kevin Metcalfe wrote:
On Nov 7, 9:19*am, Susan Walker wrote:

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
Results in header, per rbr protocol.

http://www.cycle-smart.com/blog/2009...-funny-anymore

I don't get it. Why would anyone want to test masters racers for doping?
Non-Elite racers should a) not be dope-tested and b) not get any prize
money or salary.

My understanding is that he set a world record and had to be tested if
he wanted the record to be official.

Oops...

Kevin

Hey dude, you still reading this stuff?

Brad Anders
Old November 9th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Nov 7, 8:50*am, ronaldo_jeremiah
wrote:
Results in header, per rbr protocol.

-rj

Doesn't surprise me to see a masters racer test positive for dope.
There are plenty of masters who have a very hard time with putting
their training and racing into proper perspective.

Brad Anders
Old November 9th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
Results in header, per rbr protocol.

http://www.cycle-smart.com/blog/2009...-funny-anymore

I don't get it. Why would anyone want to test masters racers for
doping?
Non-Elite racers should a) not be dope-tested and b) not get any prize
money or salary.

My understanding is that he set a world record and had to be tested if
he wanted the record to be official.

Oops...

Hey dude, you still reading this stuff?

At least it's nice to know that Kevin is still around. And hopefully he's
gotten over the hatred spewing crap from the present group here.

Old November 9th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote:
Results in header, per rbr protocol.

Doesn't surprise me to see a masters racer test positive for dope.
There are plenty of masters who have a very hard time with putting
their training and racing into proper perspective.

Let's also remember that these guys are having a hard time with reduced
testosterone production as they age. They know that something is different
and they're trying everything to "correct" it.

Old November 9th 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
Results in header, per rbr protocol.

-rj

Doesn't surprise me to see a masters racer test positive for dope.
There are plenty of masters who have a very hard time with putting
their training and racing into proper perspective.

Brad Anders

If only they knew about Carmichael's plan:

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/healt...mstrongs-Coach
Old November 9th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

wrote:
Results in header, per rbr protocol.

-rj

Doesn't surprise me to see a masters racer test positive for dope.
There are plenty of masters who have a very hard time with putting
their training and racing into proper perspective.

Brad Anders

If only they knew about Carmichael's plan:

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/healt.../110809-Cyclin...

I'm trying to be fit and powerful on 6 minutes of training a week. Can
Chris help?

Brad Anders

Aldag confesses Jason Spaceman Racing 2 May 24th 07 03:32 PM
OJ Confesses: Tyler Did It Tyler Hamillton Racing 0 April 20th 05 05:45 AM
Lance confesses! crit PRO Racing 0 April 19th 05 03:08 AM
Dear Jeff, Bart, Ewoud, Benjo and Kenny Mike Owens Racing 17 April 10th 05 01:02 AM
Crit Pro = Kenny Labbe pedalchick Racing 78 December 28th 04 08:58 AM