Questions about recumbent trikes

Old September 10th 06, 02:58 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Grolch

Default Questions about recumbent trikes

. ..
#1 Are there names for the 1 wheel forward 2 back and 2 forward 1 back
configurations?

#1 What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two configurations?

Thanks

I haven't ridden a Delta but I can make comment on a Tadpole (Catrike Road)
that I have been riding since May this year. One thing that came to a head
early on in my learning curve was the "brake steer" effect. The catrike has
front disk brakes on both wheels...LOTS of stopping power! But on steep
descents, at speeds of 40k one has to be aware of the brake steer in order
not to get into trouble. This is emphasized on curvy and narrow paths where
one doesn't have the room to make mistakes while steering under braking. As
I've ridden the bike more (1800km) the brake steer is less and less
pronounced. The Catrike does not have suspension of any type so riding over
broken surfaces or uneven expansion joints etc can be jarring. I put
Schawlbe "Big Apple" tires on my trike. At 2" they provide reasonable
suspension. Visibility, being so low, is much less than an upright bike. If
your around traffic, use a flag, bright clothing, lights, anything to make
sure that drivers can see you in lots of time. For me, one of the biggest
disadvantages of the trike is lack of portability. They won't fit on a
standard bike rack and are not easy to "walk". Narrow doorways can also
present problems. I am definitely slower on my trike (compred to upright)
but then a gain, I live in an area with nothing but hills. In general, I
love riding the Catrike, I haven't ridden my upright (a 1991 Bridgestone
MB-1, roadified) since. The biggest thing one could say about a trike or
recumbents in general....comfortable.

Cheers....Grolsch

Old September 13th 06, 05:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Typhoon Longwang

Carol Hague wrote:
The reason for that is that the failure mode (i.e. when it's most likely
to tip over) of a delta is cornering downhill at speed, whereas the
failure mode of a tadpole is cornering *uphill* at speed, which, for
most of us is a fair bit less likely :-)

Hah! Maybe for you, but I can...uh...wait, um, could you define 'at
speed' please? If it means 'less than five miles per hour' then I'd
have to argue with your last point.

TL

--

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist
the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

H.L. Mencken
Old September 13th 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carol Hague

Typhoon Longwang wrote:

Carol Hague wrote:
The reason for that is that the failure mode (i.e. when it's most likely
to tip over) of a delta is cornering downhill at speed, whereas the
failure mode of a tadpole is cornering *uphill* at speed, which, for
most of us is a fair bit less likely :-)

Hah! Maybe for you, but I can...uh...wait, um, could you define 'at
speed' please? If it means 'less than five miles per hour' then I'd
have to argue with your last point.

I've got a cold at the moment so please excuse me if I'm a bit stupider
than usual - are you saying you've tipped a tadpole trike going uphill
at less than five miles an hour?

I didn't have a precise figure in mind when I wrote "at speed" but I
certainly meant faster than that :-)

Of course circumstances make a lot of difference - uphill at speed is
the most *likely* point for a tadpole to tip, but that doesn't mean it's
otherwise impossible, and I apologise if I appeared to imply that it
did.

--
Carol
"I can't stress this enough. Edible ball bearings. Masterpiece."

Old September 14th 06, 05:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Typhoon Longwang

Carol Hague wrote:

Typhoon Longwang wrote:

Carol Hague wrote:

[...]

Sorry - I should have added the smiley :-) ...

TL

Old October 5th 06, 05:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
A.M.

2 forward 1 back is called a 'tadpole'