Push bike

Old May 12th 09, 10:11 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Price

Default Push bike

On 11 May 2009 14:21:26 -0700, R H Draney
wrote:

In my experience, it was usually "Fahrrad". I don't recall ever hearing
just "Rad".

At the risk of reigniting a recent rant, my high-school German class were
encouraged to subscribe to a newsletter called "Das Rad"...the masthead showed a
picture of a bicycle, not a single wheel....r

Both terms are in current use, and for that reason, when describing a
single wheel, the word "Laufrad" is often used in bike shops and
technical magazines, to avoid any possible confusion with the entire
bicycle.
Old May 12th 09, 10:53 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Lyle

CDB wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Jerry Friedman wrote:
[...]

As I recall, one reason for "modernizing" these stories was that
the originals got some condescending laughs out of AAVE, and
perpetuated stereotypes of black people who said ""How duz yo'
sym'tums seem ter segashuate?" Now that singers and rappers are
selling millions of disks in AAVE to slightly older children, I
think we can admit that some African Americans speak AAVE at least
some of the time. There may still be no need for "segashuate",
though.

Damn. These days that's the only Remusism I still actually use.
People do think I'm barking, of course.

How do you pronounce the "a", / @/ or / eI/? Wikipedia, which has an
article on the subject I think is pretty good, says it's Remus for
"sagaciate".

Neither: mine's /&/, as in "hat".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%27er_Rabbit

As I get older, I find I'm less often barking and more often tooting.

Bec up the creek, eh?

--
Mike.

Old May 13th 09, 03:10 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:
the Omrud wrote:
Don Phillipson wrote:
wrote in message
Push bike is a terribly British affectation.

Nick Spalding wrote:

Nothing affected about it, it is just what it is called (or named).

In that case, what does the Englisman visualize when the term
"bicycle" is used?

Nothing special, viz. the universal name for any two-wheeler from an
Olympic racing bike to a plastic toy for infants. I think that JB's
material points we
1. Push bike is standard 20th century British speech (used by
all social classes.)
2. Those non-Brits who use traditional British vernacular are
often censured by others as pretentions.

Really? It seemed to me that he was marking *Brits* who use
traditional British vernacular as pretentious.

Yes, and he didn't deny it when he had the opportunity. Maybe the
bloke's channelling Riggs.

I (et al) channeled Diana Riggs in the '60s.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 13th 09, 03:53 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
CDB

Mike Lyle wrote:
CDB wrote:

["segashuate"]

Quite so. I always want the @ to mean "ash", but it never does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%27er_Rabbit

As I get older, I find I'm less often barking and more often
tooting.

Bec up the creek, eh?

Damn tooting.

Old May 13th 09, 04:45 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
(Tom Keats) writes:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:
the Omrud wrote:

Nick Spalding wrote:

Nothing affected about it, it is just what it is called (or named).

In that case, what does the Englisman visualize when the term
"bicycle" is used?

Nothing special, viz. the universal name for any two-wheeler from an
Olympic racing bike to a plastic toy for infants. I think that JB's
material points we
1. Push bike is standard 20th century British speech (used by
all social classes.)
2. Those non-Brits who use traditional British vernacular are
often censured by others as pretentions.

Really? It seemed to me that he was marking *Brits* who use
traditional British vernacular as pretentious.

Yes, and he didn't deny it when he had the opportunity. Maybe the
bloke's channelling Riggs.

I (et al) channeled Diana Riggs in the '60s.

Okay, that's Diana Rigg, without the superfluous 's'.

She was nevertheless slinky. Meow. Hey, I'm almost channeling
her again (from the '60s.)

Woah! Now I'm channeling her and '60s Marlo Thomas washing each
others hair in the shower. And '60s Raquel Welch is joining in.

A bicycle is a bike, and a bike is a bicycle.
That is all ye need to know. Nice 'n simple.

Well, it doesn't hurt to know how to get into your car
when you lock your car keys inside, too.

cheers again,
Tom

Old May 13th 09, 06:17 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Jerry Friedman

On May 11, 7:34*pm, wrote:
On May 11, 7:50*pm, Jerry Friedman wrote:

Here are some stories.

http://www.angelfire.com/co4/raggbagg/BrerTales.htm

Here are "The Wonderful Tar-Baby" and "How Mr. Rabbit Was Too Sharp
For Mr. Fox", the two most famous stories (and the only ones I know
anything about).

http://www.mythfolklore.net/3043myth...s/pages/01.htm

(Hitting the arrow takes you to the same thing in Harris's original,
and hitting it again continues the "modernized" story.)

These are from a 1999 version. *The one I read as a little boy,
probably in the '60s, had more AAVE, I vaguely remember.

As I recall, one reason for "modernizing" these stories was that the
originals got some condescending laughs out of AAVE, and perpetuated
stereotypes of black people who said ""How duz yo' sym'tums seem ter
segashuate?" *Now that singers and rappers are selling millions of
disks in AAVE to slightly older children, I think we can admit that
some African Americans speak AAVE at least some of the time. *There
may still be no need for "segashuate", though.

--
Jerry Friedman

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
and search for 'uncleremus' in the title field

Thanks, but all I found there was the originals. DC was looking for
versions with less dialect.

--
Jerry Friedman
Old May 13th 09, 06:19 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Jerry Friedman

On May 12, 1:04*pm, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
Jerry Friedman wrote:

[...]

As I recall, one reason for "modernizing" these stories was that the
originals got some condescending laughs out of AAVE, and perpetuated
stereotypes of black people who said ""How duz yo' sym'tums seem ter
segashuate?" *Now that singers and rappers are selling millions of
disks in AAVE to slightly older children, I think we can admit that
some African Americans speak AAVE at least some of the time. *There
may still be no need for "segashuate", though.

Damn. These days that's the only Remusism I still actually use. People
do think I'm barking, of course.

Do they call you Brer Dog?

Anyway, you know perfectly well what I meant.

--
Brer Hatstand
Old May 13th 09, 06:50 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Lars Eighner

In our last episode,
, the
lovely and talented Jerry Friedman broadcast on alt.usage.english:

On May 11, 7:34*pm, wrote:
[...]

I'm coming in late, so someone may have mentioned this. The tar baby story
can be found in many collections of West African folk tales. I cannot now
locate the title of the Oxford anthology in which I read it in the '70s, but
google pops up a number of very promising new compilations. The problem
with the original is that it is probably too sexual for American school
boards and Spider, the original trickster character from whom Brer Rabbit is
derived, is rather more naughty and morally ambiguous than might be desired.
(Translation for geeks: he's neutral chaotic.)

I'd also suggest scanning for archives of American folkloric societies. It
is true enough that they will probably call these *Negro* folk tales, but it
may be expected that they treat the material with some respect.

--
Lars Eighner http://larseighner.com/
112 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.
Old May 13th 09, 10:40 AM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Django Cat

http://www.mythfolklore.net/3043myth.../remus/pages/0
[...]

I done got as far as 'Brer Rabbit to the rescue', thank-ee.

Brer Cat

Old May 14th 09, 03:18 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.bicycles.misc
Sara Lorimer

Django Cat wrote:

I feel I've missed out, big time.

You can catch up: