65mm wide bottom bracket???

Old August 24th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

Default 65mm wide bottom bracket???

Anybody know where I can find a 65mm wide BB? I know they're made
'cause I saw one on eBay in the UK.

I just emailed the Yellow Jersey, so you don't need to suggest that.
I wonder if their computer is above water?

Jones

Old August 24th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
velodancer

It is a bit of work, but you can face down any 68 to 65. A breeze if
you do it on the lathe prior to building.

Old August 24th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Aug 23, 8:59 pm, !Jones wrote:
Anybody know where I can find a 65mm wide BB? I know they're made
'cause I saw one on eBay in the UK.

I just emailed the Yellow Jersey, so you don't need to suggest that.
I wonder if their computer is above water?

Jones

If the shell is 65mm..adding a few spacers to the BB when installing
and a 68mm BB can be installed onto this frame. Like most shimano MTB
BBs, that have spacers for 73mm or 68mm shells.

Old August 24th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:58:54 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech velodancer
wrote:

It is a bit of work, but you can face down any 68 to 65. A breeze if
you do it on the lathe prior to building.

Damn! The things we learn on Usenet!!! To be honest, I've never been
into one. I thought that there was some dark force holding them
together... you know, like "The Mummy" or something.

So... help me out just a little more, here... I'd figure my spindle
length, buy the parts, and cut the case down by 3mm? I've heard of
people taking them apart and messing with the alignment... but I have
a lathe and all of the tooling.

Then what? Press it together with locktight? (Good stuff! I use it
on my sandwiches!)

Maybe I need to search for a drawing. Sheldon got one? Heck, one way
to find out.

But, thanks for the tip! That'll start me looking.

Jones

Old August 24th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:17:01 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech !Jones
wrote:

Maybe I need to search for a drawing. Sheldon got one? Heck, one way
to find out.

Well, he has *lots* of good stuff... he usually does; however, all I
found starts with an existing BB assembly. Frankly, I'd not thought
that you could go in with a piece of tool steel and cut one down...
but it makes sense that you could.

I have an old Phil BB in my hand right now. I think I'll take it
apart... It came off an old child stoker kit and is way too long in
the spindle.

Check my tools... hack saw, BFH, cutting torch, dynamite... now
what???

Jones

Old August 24th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:45:06 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech !Jones
wrote:

Check my tools... hack saw, BFH, cutting torch, dynamite... now
what???

Pull on it! That was easy!

The shell has a little counterbore... piece of cake.

What bothers me is that I see two steel lock rings that fix the
location of the bearings. I can cut the case down and counterbore it,
but I can't do anything about the position of those lock rings.

Far be it from me to disparage anyone's ideas, but I don't think that
you can face a 68mm BB down to 65mm because the bearing locations are
fixed. I'm looking at a Phil from the early '70s that I just took
apart...

.... and I got grease all over the keyboard of my wife's computer!
Anybody need a house mate?

Jones

Old August 24th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
velodancer

wrote:

It is a bit of work, but you can face down any 68 to 65. A breeze if
you do it on the lathe prior to building.

Damn! The things we learn on Usenet!!! To be honest, I've never been
into one. I thought that there was some dark force holding them
together... you know, like "The Mummy" or something.

So... help me out just a little more, here... I'd figure my spindle
length, buy the parts, and cut the case down by 3mm? I've heard of
people taking them apart and messing with the alignment... but I have
a lathe and all of the tooling.

Then what? Press it together with locktight?

I think I misunderstood your question. 68mm usually refers to the
bottom bracket shell width. Are you actually asking about bottom
bracket spindle length? And what is your thought for doing this? Lower
Q factor I suppose?

I've never heard of a 68mm long spindle before. But you can almost
certainly fit a much shorter spindle on your existing bike than you
have now (which may be the point)?

Old August 24th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:21:22 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech velodancer
wrote:

I think I misunderstood your question. 68mm usually refers to the
bottom bracket shell width.

Yes... and I have an old frame on which I'm trying to use a few modern
parts. (It's an old Littlejohn tandem, FYI) The shell is 2" ID X
65mm wide and there is no timing chain tensioning at all.

So... praise Nova! I have an eliptical; its OD was 2.126", but this
is why we have lathes! I knocked it down to 1.995" and it slips into
the 2" bore slicker 'n boogers on a brass doorknob. Now, it is 68mm
wide. This means that it hangs out by 1.5mm on both sides of the
shell and looks like s**t. I want to face that off and make it flush
with the shell... which I can do in 30 seconds. The question is: can
I get what *I* am calling a BB (axle, 2 bearings, case) that'll fit
the now 65mm width?

So, when I call Phil Wood and tell 'em I want an R=+5 or whatever, how
do they move the bearings back and forth on the axle (or spindle, as I
call it; I suppose either would be correct)? If they can move 'em
5mm, I ought to be able to squeeze 'em both 1.5mm towards center,
right?

Are you actually asking about bottom
bracket spindle length? And what is your thought for doing this? Lower
Q factor I suppose?

Uhhh... I didn't know I needed one of those! Isn't that the same
thing as a "reason"? Because it's there!!!

Jones... who might just have to get over the fact that the assembly
protrudes!

Old August 25th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On Aug 24, 1:21 pm, velodancer wrote:
I think I misunderstood your question. 68mm usually refers to the
bottom bracket shell width. Are you actually asking about bottom
bracket spindle length? And what is your thought for doing this? Lower
Q factor I suppose?

I've never heard of a 68mm long spindle before.

News of the weird: a couple of the streamlined recumbent folks use
61mm length spindles. This is to create an ultra-low "Q" factor and
smaller footboxes. See http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/qfactor/qfactor.htm
..

Jeff

Old August 30th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1099_]

!Jones wrote:
Anybody know where I can find a 65mm wide BB? I know they're made
'cause I saw one on eBay in the UK.

For a price, Phil Wood will do (or at least used to) do custom work. (I
have a OEM custom Phil hub of which less than a dozen were made.)

I just emailed the Yellow Jersey, so you don't need to suggest that.
I wonder if their computer is above water?

Well, the shop is not that far above Lake Mendota, and it has been
raining like crazy the last couple of weeks here in Cheeseland.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Bottom Bracket Bill UK 2 August 2nd 06 04:17 PM
Need A New Bottom Bracket question man Techniques 1 July 11th 05 02:10 PM
Eastom vice stem 65mm, 10 deg Bruce Edge Marketplace 0 June 22nd 05 11:07 PM
68 vs 73 bottom bracket? Mark Techniques 31 January 6th 05 03:34 AM
Bottom Bracket Help? ADE UK 8 October 1st 03 10:58 PM