110mm spaced internal-gear hubs?

Old July 9th 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

Default 110mm spaced internal-gear hubs?

I have an old frame with 110mm spacing on the rear hub. I would like
to use a hub with internal gears; however, all I see are spaced
wider. He currently carries an old Bendix "kickdown" 2-speed... do I
have any other options? I know that Profile makes a 3-speed casette
spaced @ 110mm.

Jones
Old July 9th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 8, 9:16*pm, "!Jones" wrote:
I have an old frame with 110mm spacing on the rear hub. *I would like
to use a hub with internal gears; however, all I see are spaced
wider. *He currently carries an old Bendix "kickdown" 2-speed... do I
have any other options? *I know that Profile makes a 3-speed casette
spaced @ 110mm.

Jones

Removing a Bendix from its home seems like a crime. If it were my
choice, I'd change the front sprocket to a gear appropriate to your
needs. If you have a one piece crank, this is very easy and
inexpensive.

If you do want more gears, a Sturmey Archer will fit fine. You can
either spring your bike apart the few mm needed, or respace the rear
end.
Old July 9th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Jul 9, 6:18*am, landotter wrote:
On Jul 8, 9:16*pm, "!Jones" wrote:

I have an old frame with 110mm spacing on the rear hub. *I would like
to use a hub with internal gears; however, all I see are spaced
wider. *He currently carries an old Bendix "kickdown" 2-speed... do I
have any other options? *I know that Profile makes a 3-speed casette
spaced @ 110mm.

Jones

Removing a Bendix from its home seems like a crime. If it were my
choice, I'd change the front sprocket to a gear appropriate to your
needs. If you have a one piece crank, this is very easy and
inexpensive.

If you do want more gears, a Sturmey Archer will fit fine. You can
either spring your bike apart the few mm needed, or respace the rear
end.

Depends on which model SA. There are 3-speed and 5-speed models that
are 114, and others that are 124, and some are 130.
Old July 9th 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 8, 9:16*pm, "!Jones" wrote:

I have an old frame with 110mm spacing on the rear hub. *I would like
to use a hub with internal gears; however, all I see are spaced
wider. *He currently carries an old Bendix "kickdown" 2-speed... do I
have any other options? *I know that Profile makes a 3-speed casette
spaced @ 110mm.

Jones

Removing a Bendix from its home seems like a crime. If it were my
choice, I'd change the front sprocket to a gear appropriate to your
needs. If you have a one piece crank, this is very easy and
inexpensive.

If you do want more gears, a Sturmey Archer will fit fine. You can
either spring your bike apart the few mm needed, or respace the rear
end.

Depends on which model SA. There are 3-speed and 5-speed models that
are 114, and others that are 124, and some are 130.

True. The OP seemed interested in a 3spd, though. Easy enough to cold
set bigger as needed. However, if I had a Bendix kickback hub, I'd be
quite happy to leave awesome enough alone.